Art, Music & Sports in Taiwan schools

Does anyone know how art, music and sports work in Taiwan schools?

My understanding, based on what I’ve heard over the years is that in Taiwan, if a child is fortunate enough to take an art or music class in Jr High or High School, or to be on an athletic team, they will only meet for that activity once or twice per week, and the activity will often be cancelled when they need to study for a math exam, or the like. Is that pretty much correct?

Also, if you know, what sports teams do they have in Junior High here? Anything?

And in High School is it just basketball, or are there any other sports teams?

Do they actually compete against other schools? Any idea how many games/meets/competitions per season? Or is it intermural only?

Do they have large tournaments at the end of the season?

[By way of comparison, I should note that art and music were regular classes in all of my US schools, they met as often as any other class and were never cancelled due to exams. As for sports, we had lots of interscholastic teams in Jr. High and High School (10 sports? 15? 20?). Practice was usually something like 3 - 5 pm, after school was out, five days a week and also never cancelled due to exams. There were always lots of tournaments and if you did well you could compete in the State tournament or even bigger.]

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Does anyone know how art, music and sports work in Taiwan schools?
[/quote]

No.

Yes.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]Does anyone know how art, music and sports work in Taiwan schools?
[/quote]

No.[/quote]

Thanks for nothing. :raspberry:

Yes.[/quote]

Will you please tell me? I promise I won’t tell anyone else. :pray:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Does anyone know how art, music and sports work in Taiwan schools?
[/quote]
Perhaps. Who wants to know?

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]Does anyone know how art, music and sports work in Taiwan schools?
[/quote]
Perhaps. Who wants to know?[/quote]

This is what I get for posting a serious question on a Friday evening? :unamused:

My grandmother wants to know, oK? will you please tell her, she’s reading the forum as we speak?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]Does anyone know how art, music and sports work in Taiwan schools?
[/quote]
Perhaps. Who wants to know?[/quote]

This is what I get for posting a serious question on a Friday evening? :unamused:

My grandmother wants to know, oK? will you please tell her, she’s reading the forum as we speak?[/quote]

Your grandma?
She has a lot to answer for, genetically and otherwise…
As least you aren’t as bad as that German guy and his whore of a mother in Stuttgart…

based on what I seen people regarding arts and stuff, I would think they seem to put more priority in academic things such as language and math. Getting high grades seems to be more important than getting creative I guess…

Well that’s my understanding too, except that art and music CAN and SHOULD be considered academic as well, in my opinion. But I would appreciate if anyone with specific knowledge of Taiwan public schools could describe a little about how it actually works here – how many times per week, how many sports, interscholastic or not, etc. Just curious.

Well that’s my understanding too, except that art and music CAN and SHOULD be considered academic as well, in my opinion. But I would appreciate if anyone with specific knowledge of Taiwan public schools could describe a little about how it actually works here – how many times per week, how many sports, interscholastic or not, etc. Just curious.[/quote]

I thought your grandma was curious…get your stories straight, counsel…

Could someone please answer MT’s grandma’s question, because my, um, friend, yeah that’s it, is curious too.