Articles Criticizing Taiwan

[quote=“tommy525”]
point is craig’s piece stank. it wasn’t worthwhile and had no redeeming value.[/quote]

Agreed. I can handle heavily biased criticism of something I love if that criticism is at least entertaining. But her article was just boring. Not worthy of a blog post, let alone a newspaper. I wouldn’t even let it pollute the pages of my diary.
Writing should either be well-researched fact or intelligent and/or entertaining opinion. Hers is none of the above. Too bad it’ll only be fodder for those bigoted individuals who are sure nothing good exists outside of north america.

Anyone know if this article was actually published in print (waste of trees!) or did it only make it into the online edition?

I liked it. It entertained me and I found it to resonate very strongly with my own perceptions.

warts on a hog that article :slight_smile:

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]What Lindsey Craig wrote was bad, but not as bad as what this person wrote about Taiwan back in 2006:

taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 2003298635[/quote]

Actually, I would give this article a lot more regard than I ever could to Craig’s. First off, it is objective and uses the third party experience of the Japanese couple to establish an argument that is critical, but constructively so. He aims to draw the attention of the public to the fact that authorities could be doing much more to improve a situation he regards as important. Read that to say that he is being proactive, even though uses a negative example of the bad experience the Japanese couple had to establish his point. I don’t see anything close to that in Craig’s article at all; she does point to the dangers of culture shock, but all I see is pedantic self-absorption that could only serve to anger those with less than liberal or forgiving attitudes for an unhappiness she largely brought upon herself…What’s up next on her plate, an article about being afraid of the dark? Agree with Tigerman on one point: She’s definitely a wimp.

What’s wrong with that?

What’s wrong with that?[/quote]

:aiyo:
Man, I gotta learn how to stay away from the news altogether, lol. :wink:

I liked it. It entertained me and I found it to resonate very strongly with my own perceptions.[/quote]
Damn dude you’d LOVE my diary then…

Everybody’s entitled to their own opinion, but I read more interesting stuff about Taiwan DAILY here on Forumosa, and these people don’t even edit their stuff, let alone get PAID to write it. I’m just sayin, she could have spiced it up a little, made it funny rather than dull…?

Look, I searched for all of 2 min and came across this blog post which was head and shoulders above that article in my opinion.

Edit: awww shit I guess a link would help:
whatkate8.blogspot.com/2009/07/i … -cute.html

What’s wrong with that?[/quote]

Because she would probably relate the trivial details of her childhood fears only to end with how she is now a competent fearless adult but glad she was once young cause it sure makes her appreciate the tough time kids have growing up.

I didn’t find it dull. I found it mildly amusing and as I said, very close to the truth as I recall the Chungle in 2005.

I didn’t find it dull. I found it mildly amusing…[/quote]

Man, life must be reaaaaaaaally quiet out there in Ankeng. :laughing:

“Jesus…else.” Yeah, like South Korea! Sure, Taiwan has its problems but there’s no comparison.

Ciao!

Hello all,
So, how’s the mail service going between the mainland and Taiwan? It’s been going on for awhile right?
For those of you sending mail between mainland China and Taiwan, has it been pretty reliable? Please reply
ASAP.

Thank you! :sunglasses:

[quote=“citizen k”][quote=“Charlie Jack”]What Lindsey Craig wrote was bad, but not as bad as what this person wrote about Taiwan back in 2006:

taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 2003298635[/quote]

Actually, I would give this article a lot more regard than I ever could to Craig’s. First off, it is objective and uses the third party experience of the Japanese couple to establish an argument that is critical, but constructively so. He aims to draw the attention of the public to the fact that authorities could be doing much more to improve a situation he regards as important. Read that to say that he is being proactive, even though uses a negative example of the bad experience the Japanese couple had to establish his point. I don’t see anything close to that in Craig’s article at all; she does point to the dangers of culture shock, but all I see is pedantic self-absorption that could only serve to anger those with less than liberal or forgiving attitudes for an unhappiness she largely brought upon herself…What’s up next on her plate, an article about being afraid of the dark?[/quote] But the author of that editorial tore Taiwan a new one, and didn’t chalk it up to culture shock or to his or her perceptions, but rather laid the blame at Taiwan’s feet. (Please note that I’m speaking of the editorial’s author, not of myself–it ain’t my place to blame Taiwan–and that I am not addressing the merits or demerits of the editorial.)

Here’s an earlier, non-editorial article on the incident: taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003297615

Here’s the Forumosa thread on that earlier article: The Japanese criticize Taiwan's dirty streets, water

[quote=“citizen k”]She’s definitely a wimp.[/quote] Well, you can just set me down amongst the wimps, too :laughing: (where’s the “I’m a wimp” emoticon?), because I view living here as a challenge.