Articles Criticizing Taiwan

Well, the article sure attracted a lot of interest! That’s one criterion the papers use to decide what to publish.

interesting article… she thought Taiwan was just another province of Canada ?

read some books before going to another country ! you might know that they use different languages and have different manners…

The average Canadian from Burlinton does not eat head cheese or tongue!

The average Canadian from Burlington won’t eat a fish that still has its head or shrimp that has not been peeled…and the bread of choice is most likely of the Wonder variety. :laughing:

I think we are all side-stepping the most potentially interesting part of this story… Posters from Taichung… did any of you know this girl? Meet her? Hang out with her? What about Cliff? Is he still here? Someone here must know that particular branch of Joy School.

Now THAT would be interesting.

I likes me some bagua!

Ecaps

A friend who lives in Taichung mentioned that he met both her and the boyfriend when they showed up. He was apparently quite normal and friendly, she on the other hand was a whiner who complained about everything from the get go and did very little to try and help herself with her lot while here. My buddy and some others did some things to help them get set up when they first arrived and, according to him, Craig was never thankful at all. He didn’t keep up with them after that, but floated the idea that the boyfriend must have left her for a Taiwanese girl, lol. That might at least be one explaination for the bitter article she wrote. Apparently, the Marcel mentioned in the story is still. My buddy was going to try to contact him to find out.

Ewww, gross!

That’s pretty standard for here. So in fact, according to what you wrote, she DID recount her experiences here fairly accurately. Which is what some of us have been saying all along. Are they objective? Of course not! Are they very very real, nonetheless? Absolutely. I still see nothing wrong with the article.

Oh, Joy!
Another bash at the Taiwanese and/or Canucks from wot which is 5 or 6 years olds. Sounds like anuther tooothlesh Limey/Yank kick about to me. Fargin A’!
Here’s to AssHats, and all that they don’t know!
:raspberry:

What did the silly cow say?
“Oink oink”

I thought she was more shnufflinking.

My question is this: where did she see that the “World Economic Forum ranked Taiwan second from the bottom out of 146 countries for environmental sustainability.” Did she just make this up? I did an internet search and couldn’t find anything like this. The closest I came was the 2006 Environmental Performance Index, released by the Yale Center for Environmental Law & Policy in conjunction with the World Economic Forum, in which Taiwan ranked a respectable 25th out of 133 countries.

(yale.edu/epi/2006EPI_MainReport.pdf for a copy of the full report).

Is it? Guess I haven’t been around many newbies in a long, long while…Most of the foreigners I see look like they are pretty open minded and adapt pretty well. Even on here, been a while since I’ve seen a newbie really rant about how unliveable they may find it here…Anyhow, good riddance.

I used to be affiliated with a recruiting agency for some of the bigger chain schools in TW and would meet employees at the airport and get them settled in. One young couple from rural Wales: 3 days and that was it! Man, that was the fastest turnaround I have ever seen.

Shortly after I got here, a couple showed up from the US. That night the big quake struck. They were gone the next day. I think that’s a special case, so maybe it doesn’t count. :slight_smile:

Maybe here: The lowest ranked countries are North Korea, Iraq, Taiwan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. Esty says these countries face many challenges, both natural and manmade, and have poorly managed their policy choices. Page 5 of the report puts Taiwan in 145th (2nd last) place.

Here you are.

[Edit: Whoops, I didn’t notice that Jaboney had got there before me.]

[quote=“Jaboney”]
Maybe here: The lowest ranked countries are North Korea, Iraq, Taiwan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. Esty says these countries face many challenges, both natural and manmade, and have poorly managed their policy choices. :idunno:[/quote]

That’s quite a big difference from the report I mentioned. I guess “sustainability” and “performance” are very different. In any case, she definitely missed the mark since I believe she was trying to make a point about the air quality in Taiwan, which is really only indirectly related to “environmental sustainability”.

Air quality in VERY large parts of the Taichung area in 2005 were indeed absolutely toxic.

[quote=“sandman”]Air quality in VERY large parts of the Taichung area in 2005 were indeed absolutely toxic.[/quote]I’ve not been back for a while, but can it be any better with all the development up on the hill?

[quote=“Wikipedia”]The Taichung Power Plant is a large coal-fired power plant in Taiwan. With an installed capacity of 5,780 MW, it is the largest coal-fired power station in the world, and also the world’s largest emitter of carbon dioxide.

The power plant consists of ten coal-fired units with nominal capacity of 550 MW each. Four original units were commissioned in 1992. In 1996–1997, four additional units were added. The eight older units have a total estimated coal requirement of around 12 million tonnes of bituminous and 2.5 million tonnes of sub-bituminous coal a year. In June 2005 and June 2006, 550 MW sub-critical pressure units 9 and 10 were installed. There is an expansion plan to build two new 800 MW units by 2016.[/quote]

I remember everything getting covered with a sticky, nicotine-yellowish-brown residue when it rained: if your clothes were outside, you washed them again. And the sooty dust that settled over everything… ick.

Nicotine is colorless. Non-smokers! Sheesh! :unamused: