Artificial intelligence use in the military

Reading this article is like reading something out of The Onion. But it’s not. It’s real life. In Britain.

news.yahoo.com/campaigners-call- … 48365.html

[quote]Campaigners call for ban on “killer robots”

Machines with the ability to attack targets without any human intervention must be banned before they are developed for use on the battlefield, campaigners against “killer robots” urged on Tuesday.

“We already have a certain amount of autonomy,” said Noel Sharkey, professor of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics at the University of Sheffield.

“I think we are already there. If you asked me to go and make an autonomous killer robot today, I could do it. I could have you one here in a few days,” he told reporters.

The British government has always said it has no intention of developing such technology.

“There are no plans to replace skilled military personnel with fully autonomous systems,” a Ministry of Defense spokesman told Reuters.[/quote]

I demand a ban on brain-damaged leftards.

The thing that stood out in this post was ‘leftards’. That’s such a waiguo framing of British society. The political and media ‘right’ would be far more likely to protest this in Britain.

I thought this was going to be about David Cameron. Mind you, the death of Maggie Thatcher has raised the average IQ and certainly the average EQ of England.

Margaret Thatcher wasn’t stupid. She was often bad but she was far from stupid. Is there a word for the ‘halo effect’ but for negative characteristics? superking would probably know.

I wouldn’t worry, the whole world knows your inbred, redneck, nation of immigrant retarded mongrels have the monopoly on that! :roflmao:

Talking about a thread doomed from the start. About the article, both the real legal situation, the subject matter (semi- or fully autonomous weapons) and the opinions are so ill-defined and vague that the whole thing is just a waste of text. In my opinion, the author’s message to the readers meant to be “BOOOH OOH! Killer Bots!! Be scared of the future and technology in general!! BOOH OOH!!”.

Worthless, whatever your opinion on the matter is.

Jody Williams is American, and Human Rights Watch, the organisation behind the campaign, is an American NGO.

[quote=“Novaspes”]
Worthless, whatever your opinion on the matter is.[/quote]

Well, you wouldn’t know it from the title the OP gave but this is about artificial intelligence use in the military, I renamed the thread, as I hardly think this has much to do with Brits, or Americans. I believe there is some talk about use of unmanned drones in the US, and if we look further down the road, is some sort of Skynet that you see in the Terminator movies purely science fiction, or will it most likely become science fact. Anyway, if there are objections to the name change of the thread, I will consider changing back to the original.

Call it paranoid madness, but if people protested 15 years ago against sky drones potentially being used to assassinate people they would have been called loony too. The scary thing about technology is that it’s exponential. The future gets closer than we realize faster than we realize and faster than before, and things are only going to change more quickly. If the technology doesn’t already exist, it will. It’s just a matter of time and how, when, or if it’s used.

Edit*

I wouldn’t blame anyone for feeling uncomfortable with the idea of robots being used to kill people. But if everyone used robots to fight other robots to solve disputes, it might be pretty cool. Sort of like robot wars techies already have with each other, but on a much grander scale

Any intelligence used in the Army would be useful :whistle:

[quote=“Mick”][quote=“Novaspes”]
Worthless, whatever your opinion on the matter is.[/quote]

Well, you wouldn’t know it from the title the OP gave but this is about artificial intelligence use in the military, I renamed the thread, as I hardly think this has much to do with Brits, or Americans. I believe there is some talk about use of unmanned drones in the US, and if we look further down the road, is some sort of Skynet that you see in the Terminator movies purely science fiction, or will it most likely become science fact. Anyway, if there are objections to the name change of the thread, I will consider changing back to the original.[/quote]

I understood what the article was about. When I called it worthless I meant it is not useful as basis or starting point for a meaningful discussion on the matter. This is because it (imo willingly) does not provide any information about the subject matter more than. I personally try to avoid this kind of articles.

I strongly agree, though that the use of AI in weapons of war is a most interesting topic.
http://www.smbc-comics.com/?db=comics&id=2637#comic