As a foreigner, have you ever been told to learn the culture by a local?

I’m a returnee. I was born here, but spent most of my life abroad. When I was doing my alternative military service, the school principal told me to learn the culture since I’m in the ROC. I asked him whether or not there was a time when I didn’t speak Mandarin Chinese. He didn’t know what to say.

Based on my experiences so far, I feel that there’s a contempt for returnees and ABCs among some locals.

The school principal sounds like a twat. While yes, when going to a new country, learning at least some of the culture is necessary but the way he said it to you just makes him sound like a twat.

3 Likes

I think even if he just said “You need to learn the culture.”, it is also quite condescending?

I’ve never seen a country in which so many people holding high level positions think they can just be assholes.

2 Likes

They do that in the US and Canada too and other countries.

I’ve seen it occur much more often in Taiwan though.

1 Like

You’re in England, speak English!

People are shitheads everywhere.

2 Likes

Does my wife count?

6 Likes

I can’t wait to see what transpires in this thread. I suspect it will another where North Americans defend themselves against the treatment they suffer at the hands of their Taiwanese masters. :joy:

1 Like

do you think it’s OK for the school principal to talk like that? Please comment.

do you think it’s OK for the school principal to talk like that? Please comment.

If you know what’s good for you, the correct answer is “yes”!

Guy

2 Likes

My story is different. The most condescending and supercilious scoldings I’ve received are from old mainlanders speaking with a strong northern accent.

I guess it never occurred to them that they are newcomers in this space too. Or maybe it has occurred to them, and they are acting like this to kick further down the chain. :man_shrugging:

Guy

We got this one in France: “You are in France Madame, you should speak French”

Not in these words, but i was told countless times “this is not how we do it in Taiwan” and was expected to follow the “TW Way” of doing things.

1 Like

My experience, admittedly as a whitey, is the Taiwanese let my cultural faux pas go without comment - within earshot at least.

I guess the experience can be different for others.

I don’t have an answer. Some Taiwanese don’t like ABCs.

4 Likes

I’ve never seen a country that’s so intolerant of those with a different background.

1 Like

Look mate as a returnee you’re subject to particular pressures, a lot of them unfair. Taiwan’s not unique in this way—Japan and Korea have reputations of being even worse! Find some specific threads (or other sites) specific to being a returnee / ABT / CBT / etc. Some really good work on twitter from some of these folks, who got over the bumps and set their own agenda here.

Good luck to you!

Guy

2 Likes

I’m looking for a way to get a green card and move back to the US.

1 Like

No, ironically only by my fellow white.