As a foreigner, have you ever been told to learn the culture by a local?

A lot of them really aren’t. Look at drivers. So aggressive . More curious than friendly. Friendly to wailao?
And these days many (not all…Many ) won’t open their mouths to talk much to strangers or anybody . It’s not the same like it used to be. Many countries have more outgoing people . I think Taiwan is in the middle of the pack at best. Nothing special

9 Likes

I’m SO sick of this “Taiwanese people are so friendly” bullshit. It sounds like a tourism advert written by some CEO’s nephew who lived in America for a year.

4 Likes

I know where they’re coming from. As a tourist, my first impressions were incredibly positive.

It’s just, as an immigrant far away from the tourist sites deep inside Taiwan’s normal life, being assumed that I can’t read the bus signs becomes grating.

3 Likes

I would say that Taiwanese lack genuineness. They can be pleasant and nice but it comes with conditions.

They are nice to white foreigners because they believe it brings them something in return. They are nice to certain family members because those family members carry authority or seniority.

Anyone below a certain level on their personal scale of worthiness will suffer a fate worse than death. Emotional Damage!

5 Likes

That logic is, sadly, very hard to argue against…the only silver lining to this style of emotional retardation is that it is actually changing for the better. For better or worse, slow or not, its going the right direction :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If I am able to move to amother country and become a citizen, then I will consider giving up my Taiwanese citizenship.

@therainmaker, You don’t have to give up your Taiwanese if the new country allows dual citizenship.

1 Like

For some people it’s hard to live in other places there are not used to, though parents hope for the best it is always not best from the news story link. I had a nice time in the EU but also nice to go home. I have good friends in EU and here, helps me feel good with nice family support but not everyone has this.

This man blames life overseas for his problems (seems smart but bad social life):

I would like to permanently cut my ties to Taiwan if i can get another citizenship. I haven’t had many positive experiences so far.

1 Like

Who are these people who claim the USA is better? I’ve never met one. Most American expats are here to escape the bs of america, myself included.

Edit: I’m not saying they don’t exist, I’ve just yet to meet one.

You have a point about the claiming taiwanese insurance though.

I had an absent student last week because they went to the dentist to have a baby tooth pulled, which I understand is fairly common practice here. When I broached the subject with my taiwanese colleagues I was met with mild shock when I told them we don’t do that in America. We just yank em out. When they asked why I just straight up told them it’s too expensive. We don’t go to the dentist or doctor for most things. That’s the god blessed USA baby.

There is no benefit to you to destroy your own rights. It has no bearing on your life and you’d only be cutting off your nose to spite your face. Time heals all. I get you’re not having a good time right now but there may be a time you want to come back or your job might find your connections/ability to enter and exit Taiwan and China an asset.

Simultaneously, you may have greater travel opportunities.

Think rationally.

I’ve had ups and downs my life too. If I took that attitude during my downs, I’d remain a bitter man and not the successful man I am today. We’re here to help you and there are good places and bad places to work everywhere. I had a shitty job here too. I hated the boss, i hated the job, I hated having no money because of the way the job worked.

I love what I am doing now. Boss is great and workplace conditions are good and bossman is even looking at making three day weekends every week year round. @therainmaker I’m not special. Nothing about me makes me particularly special.

2 Likes

The US is great if you have a cushy corporate job with good insurance. You are pressured to follow the traditional path of going to college, getting an internship, and a good job after that. If you don’t do that, it can be tough to get by. And even if you do, you still have the high cost of education and surprise medical bills hanging over your head.

2 Likes

Thanks for your advice, feedback, and reassurances. Things are much better in my current job so far. Haven’t had any insulting comments about my background or Chinese ability. We’re expected to work the standard 8 hours and clock in and clock out accordingly. My manager’s boss doesn’t like my manager so much, but that’s between them.

1 Like

Exactly. Life is partially what it throws at us and partially what we make of what we can control.

Only we can control our attitudes. There is always light at the end of the tunnel, but we must want to see the light.

what on earth? what a bunch of bullshit that pervert just came up with and the court lets him go with a small fine. 30,000 is not even a slap on the wrist, barely a pinch.

1 Like

yeah, no jail. He needs social relations help too it seems.

Paid somebody off somewhere or guanxi

Holy smokes.

Or yet another idiot “judge.”

Guy

1 Like

If it may be of any solace to you, it’s not a taiwanese specific-thing. Every returnees have to go through this crap too some way or the other, I know my vietnamese and thai 2nd gen friends also had to deal with that. Keep in my mind that the way you behave may be just outdated. Think about said way as a software that only gets updated if you live in the country.
So your “software” not only isnt updated, but you’re using the one your parents gave you (which is heavily outdated due to them not being in Taiwan either), and to top it all off you probably picked off some americanisms that have nothing to do with the way people behave here.
The way I see things your best bet is to be able to completely control what people see when they interact with you. Don’t let anything in your demeanor show that you’re not a 100% taiwanese, speak with an absolutely flawless accent, avoid having any mannerisms that may be construed at foreign, and look outright insulted when people tell you anything about you not knowing your culture. You don’t even need to be flawless in thay regard, you coulf still have an accent and still have mannerisms you just cant shake (as we all do) but the simple act of taking that stance will usually make people think twice about commenting who you are and how you should act.

Edit : or, judging from your situation, changing jobs is a good idea too ! :smiley: