As a non-white person how do I find an English teaching job?

Taipei people are no more ‘sophisticated’ than the rest of the island. How do most people get a job in Taiwan, go into a class and do a demo/throw a sticky ball/crack jokes with the students and teachers. That’s how they get a job. You have to walk into these places and talk to people.
The other way they get a job is knowing teachers in existing schools, when an opportunity comes up they can refer you onto it. It’s tough at the start…anywhere.

Good point. How many jobs have you actually worked so far since graduating?

Ditto. In agreement with headhonchoII and sandman. lupillus, too.

I wish you the best because I know that if you do decide to stay, your initial battle is an uphill one. It is becoming more difficult to find decent English teaching jobs in Taiwan - for everyone, no matter which passport is flashed. The times have changed. It’s even more important now to prove yourself though acquired skills. Of course you need to be dedicated to looking for a decent gig like crazy right now. Then, you might have to accept something less than ideal to start with.

The discrimination you feel is real (and unfair - as all racism is), but many of us have felt it in some way or another. Being South African, I’ve lost out on opportunities. I’ve had the pleasure of observing the classes of the some of the most dedicated and effective teachers, who won’t be easily hired when they change jobs - just because of their age. Such is life.

I do realize that you will have a harder time than others, and I feel for you. If you are really up for teaching in Asia, I hope you find something and get comfortable in Taiwan. You could make a great teacher. Remember though: some happy teachers in Taiwan fell into their jobs through experience; others simply had blue eyes and blond hair; but some did the time before expecting a really decent teaching job.

With a name like his, the OP should have no problem finding a great job in a political linguistics department. Go for it! You’re bound to be as good a teacher as many incumbents.

Just 'cause I call myself “jimipresley”, don’t mean I can play guitar or sing for shit.

But i bet you’re as good as many others who do.

(Or better. I have a suspicion you have an unblown trumpet up your sleeve somewhere.)

[quote=“urodacus”]But i bet you’re as good as many others who do.

(Or better. I have a suspicion you have an unblown trumpet up your sleeve somewhere.)[/quote]

That would explain the funny looking arms.

To the OP: try the chain schools. They’ll hire ABCs and CBCs.
When applying, try to gauge whether the school can’t or would prefer not to supply an ARC, and so would welcome your TW ID; or, is used to providing ARCs and needs one of the right passports, in which case stress that you are American and show your US passport.
The bosses and parents cannot usually tell whether someone’s English is native; and they won’t be able to tell what kind of accent you have. In particular because you were born in Taiwan, they are going to think you are essentially the same as someone who was born and raised in Taiwan - thus the advice to start off as a Chinese teacher helper.

And black people have a harder time getting hired than ABCs, even fake ABCs.

[quote=“bababa”]To the OP: try the chain schools. They’ll hire ABCs and CBCs.
When applying, try to gauge whether the school can’t or would prefer not to supply an ARC, and so would welcome your TW ID; or, is used to providing ARCs and needs one of the right passports, in which case stress that you are American and show your US passport.
The bosses and parents cannot usually tell whether someone’s English is native; and they won’t be able to tell what kind of accent you have. In particular because you were born in Taiwan, they are going to think you are essentially the same as someone who was born and raised in Taiwan - thus the advice to start off as a Chinese teacher helper.

And black people have a harder time getting hired than ABCs, even [color=#FF0000]fake ABCs[/color].[/quote]

I hate them fakers!

[quote=“noamchomsky”]I was born in Taiwan, grew up in Illinois ever since I was one month old. Moved to Taiwan recently after graduating university and attaining a TEFL certification before I left the states. Any way I’ve visited schools near me, I’ve sent resumes with the cover letter being the email, I’ve followed up with phone calls, everything. Only places that are in the boondocks (2 places in the month that I’ve been searching for a job) want to interview me. I had a place actually tell me that they only hire “foreign teachers”. How am I not foreign? And why is foreign code for white?
I have the ideal midwestern American accent
do not require ARC, have a Taiwanese ID
graduated university, did fairly well
have a TEFL certification
am not sketchy, have permanent housing, highly unlikely to randomly disappear
It scares me that these schools are hiring Americans right off the plane because most of the classmates I’ve had in my English classes I wouldn’t consider fully literate.[/quote]
Be patient.
MAybe whay you need to let them know is your American part only.
The master Noam Chomsky is going to Lecture in Taipei…
http://www.sinica.edu.tw/manage/gatenews/showsingle.php?_op=?rid:3400%26isEnglish:1

Can we start calling them bopomofo’s?

When I (a whitey) took my first job in Taiwan, my ‘academic supervisor’ was a Brazilian Taiwanese. In my current job my supervisor is ABC. Some of you CBC and ABC’s etc have a problem with the poor-little-me-I-ain’t-got-no-job-coz-I-ain’t-white attitude. If you stick it out and play your cards right, you’ll be lording it all over whitey in a couple of years.

Your problem is not the color of your skin. Get some experience and bide your time. It’s easy for white people to get a job but very difficult for us to get respect or promotions.

Hey, I’m in your shoes. I am one of those ABC’s, raised in good old California. It’s not the color of your skin that’s holing you down, it’s your attitude and lack of experience. I’ve been teaching here for a year and a half. The beginning was difficult due to lack of experience. There are good and bad things with guys like us. One important you have to understand is that no matter what color teacher you are, you will be treated like a much needed but not respected commidity. Even white teachers here all feel the same way. One bad thing is that since you are yellow, there is an excuse to treat you like dirt. White teachers have their own problems too.

There are plenty of schools out there that will hire yellow teachers. You just have to play your cards right, change your attitude, and get some experience.

You’re not the only person with a tough time finding a job. All experienced teachers have a tough time finding good jobs too. Most of these jobs will be part time, or low pay, or horrible hours. I just walked out of my lame job this week. You can see my story in schools on the blacklist. I’ve been going on interviews and doing demos all week. It’s a tough market for everyone.

Try Kojen (Ke1jian4). I’m told they don’t discriminate.

[quote=“SandaGuy”]Hey, I’m in your shoes. I am one of those ABC’s, raised in good old California. It’s not the color of your skin that’s holing you down, it’s your attitude and lack of experience. I’ve been teaching here for a year and a half. The beginning was difficult due to lack of experience. There are good and bad things with guys like us. One important you have to understand is that no matter what color teacher you are, you will be treated like a much needed but not respected commidity. Even white teachers here all feel the same way. One bad thing is that since you are yellow, there is an excuse to treat you like dirt. White teachers have their own problems too.

There are plenty of schools out there that will hire yellow teachers. You just have to play your cards right, change your attitude, and get some experience.

You’re not the only person with a tough time finding a job. All experienced teachers have a tough time finding good jobs too. Most of these jobs will be part time, or low pay, or horrible hours. I just walked out of my lame job this week. You can see my story in schools on the blacklist. I’ve been going on interviews and doing demos all week. It’s a tough market for everyone.[/quote]
Some very valid perspective in this post.
:thumbsup:

Even if you work as a Chinese teacher at Kojen, the Chinese teacher payscale is similar to the foreign teacher payscale, although it does top out earlier

This is so true! I was initially rejected by my ex-boss after the first interview as informed by the search firm my interview was unsuccessful). Weeks later, I was contacted to return for a second interview. My ex-boss decided to give me a try as a replacement was required almost immediately, but I was offered a lower than expected remuneration and I accepted it. As I wanted to prove to my ex-boss that he/she was wrong, as I can do the job which exceeded the requirements. Within two years, here I am in Taiwan with an excellent Expatriate’s package and a new remuneration much better than my expectation!

So, yeah, keep trying! Take whatever you can get, even at the expense of a little lower than your expectation and move on from there … just treat the “gap” as a tuition fees you have to pay to gain some experiences.

OP, any luck yet on finding a job?

I am in the same situation right now as an ABC/CBC looking for a job.