As an ABC (mainland China), is it harder to find jobs in Taiwan?

I want to move to Taiwan one day, but I’m a Mainland Chinese ABC. Will finding jobs be 1000× harder, considering that white collar foreigners have a minimum wage 2x more than a local? If you’re Mainland Chinese ABC, can you give me some tips on finding a job in Taiwan?

Just don’t try to be an English teacher

What would you like to do? And why would you like to do it on Taiwan?

If you are fluent in mainland Mandarin, that might be 2 strikes against you, but that is just a guess on my part.

Finding a job, and the wage disparity are not strictly related, but I catch your basic idea. It might be very hard to find a job that pays as disproportionately high as expat salaries.

My advice, worth the bits it’s conveyed in, is find multinational companies, and pursue roles in the US. There, the stereotype that Chinese are more productive than lazy Americans will favor you. Give it a few years, and then look into roles with the same firm, or competitors here. And voila, you’re an instant imperialist.

I’ve heard in Singapore that successful mainland ladies have been referred to a crows, or ravens or somesuch. Is there an equivalent in Taiwan?

What is a mainland China ABC?!

My advice: instead of finding a job, consider creating a job (or industry) for yourself and you’ll be in demand here and elsewhere

Presumably American born but with Chinese family. Different to American born but with Taiwanese family.

3 Likes

Depends on the job and your qualifications. Also if you speak Chinese.

1 Like

For me I feel like self employment is the only option if I want to break the glass ceiling of 28,000nt a month.

1 Like

Na of course not, its then same language with a few differences. Nobody would give a fuck about that

2 Likes

ABC or ABT are basically the same thing in taiwan. So i wouldn’t worry about that. Unless when you speak chinese you have a thick north chinese accent…

1 Like

People would mainly find that cute I think

Unless you start spouting Taiwan is part of China nonsense, there’s generally no ill will towards people for the average Taiwanese these days.

3 Likes

Not necessarily ill will, but people don’t appreciate the sound of that accent. Just straight up thats the truth.

3 Likes

I imagine he has a US passport which allows him to teach English

And he’s born and raised in the US which would mean his English is as good as anyone’s so why not teach English if he wants to

He will be treated law wise like your regular
American

Salary wise he will be treated like a Taiwanese though.

1 Like

Is that really true though? If you have an educated northern accent , I don’t think so

I applied for a job doing online tutoring videos, and keep in mind this is a foreigner who should know better.

He told me “his academic advisor” (whoever he might be) said my accent sounds to Taiwanese and he needed a more neutral accent. I don’t know what this means.

And this is actually for people to learn Chinese BTW so why is being ABT a strike??

If you’re a TW citizen it doesn’t matter what passport you have, because having a passport from those countries only matter if you want to get a VISA teaching English.

In reply to everyone here, I’m asking this because none of my parents or grandparents have ever held a Taiwanese passport. I don’t know how all this works, but I’m assuming that makes me a foreigner which subjects me to the foreigner’s minimum wages. If that’s the case, I’m sure that an employer would rather hire a Taiwanese for less or hire a “bonafide” foreigner for the same amount.

Pretty much what you say but you may still have some cards up your sleeve. If you are functionally bilingual that’s useful, that opens doors. Some companies are now starting to realize that having a Chinese speaker that is also native English with good written skills is a great time saver in terms of production of actually readable marketing materials.

Is there an actual law that states foreigners get paid twice the local minimum wage? Is that only for white collar workers? Surely it doesn’t apply to the foreigners from SE Asia that are domestic service workers for Taiwanese?

yes, the minimum wage for some types of white collar jobs is set by government to get a work permit for foreigners.