Asia Adventures has a new look

So happy to share the new Asia Adventures website!!

For any newbies to Forumosa, I was living in Taiwan from 2005 to 2012, when I moved to Cambodia to go to work for a local cycling tour operator. I still have a home in Taiwan with my partner and get back regularly.

One of the first things I wanted to do was trash the old web site and build a new one. It took a while to convince the owner it desperately needed to be completely redone, but after hearing it from enough people, he finally agreed. As a local company, we didn’t have the budget to hire professionals, so we got some help to customize a Joomla template and uploaded the content ourselves. The language still needs to be edited, but the design and navigation is SO much better than the old site.

Check it out and let me know what you think. You might even find a cycling or trekking tour in Cambodia that interests you!!

Wow, what an improvement! It’s a really nice site (I recall looking at the old one and being underwhelmed); pretty much perfect in terms of ease of use, balance of text and pics, and the way it looks. I had a look at using Joomla a few years back but it was beyond my abilities and it drove me to the bottle. Well done.

We hired a university IT student to customize and install the template. Then we proceeded to drive HIM to the bottle answering all our questions while we uploaded content. (Poor guy). There were also a lot of customization that he had to do through coding that we couldn’t do. Because I had some experience with WYSIWYG on my personal web site and on our e-mail marketing newsletter, my Joomla learning curve wasn’t quite as steep as it could have been.

Glad you like the site. Thanks for your kind words. I’m really happy with it.

Excellent! Looks very professional.

The only thing you might consider is displaying prices. (Sorry if I missed it)

I’m not sure if it’s the right way to do things, but I’m more likely to buy when I see a price without having to go that extra step and ask. This goes for camera equipment in Hong Kong, fruit at the traditional market, or tours in Cambodia. Show the price, and I’m more likely to buy.

Some people might think, “Twelve days in Cambodia with all that included must cost a fortune!” I just went to the Camel Fair in Pushkar (on my own). In preparation for the trip, I noticed some Photography Tours that included the Fair charged 4 or 5 hundred US$ per day. I think many people would be pleasantly surprised at how affordable your trip is.

[quote=“zender”]The only thing you might consider is displaying prices. (Sorry if I missed it)

I’m not sure if it’s the right way to do things, but I’m more likely to buy when I see a price without having to go that extra step and ask. This goes for camera equipment in Hong Kong, fruit at the traditional market, or tours in Cambodia. Show the price, and I’m more likely to buy.[/quote]

This was a huge dilemma for us. I’d like to hear more feedback.

You make a very valid point about consumers wanting to see a price and we considered it very carefully, but there are several complications. First, there are so many variables: season, holidays (local and international), how many in the party, which hotel category, what additional features. These are not standard group tours, but on-demand, customizable tours, so it’s hard to put a clear MEANINGFUL price. Second, we were trying to minimize the amount of work that would have to be done in the future. The old site had prices that had not been updated since the site was created 5 years ago. If we had the budget to hire a full administrative staff who could make sure web site pricing was updated, then we might add it. At the moment, I’m afraid it would fall through the cracks.

That being said, if you go to a particular tour and click on the button to download the PDF with complete details, I think there is a price grid.

I will take that into consideration and maybe try to put a “From” price, but with so many variables, I’m afraid of opening a can of worms later when people aren’t happy with the price difference.

Yes! The PDFs show prices near the end.

I think what you’re charging is reasonable enough. I still say you should display your prices more prominently with “FROM” to give you some play.

Good work.

Very nice.

On the front page at the bottom:

Copyright 2012 - Asia Adventures - No. 578, St. Kampuchea Krom (St. 128), Phnom Penh, Kin[color=#FF0000]g[/color]dom of Cambodia.

[quote=“NeonNoodle”]Very nice.

On the front page at the bottom:

Copyright 2012 - Asia Adventures - No. 578, St. Kampuchea Krom (St. 128), Phnom Penh, Kin[color=#FF0000]g[/color]dom of Cambodia.[/quote]
OMG, I can’t believe no one caught that… Not just front page… EVERY page… and the name of the country, even.

First Kingdom beer’s on me if you make it over this way.