Asia American International Academy

Do any of you have experience with Asia American International Academy in New Taipei City?

I’m very curious about it. It is recognized by AIT as an American school and follows California State curriculum.

Their local positions do not require certification, only experience.

Is this the school in the news lately regarding Taiwanese parents buying fake Filipino passports for their kids to gain entry into the school?

http://www.focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201905210009.aspx

Seems like certifications aren’t the only thing they don’t require.

1 Like

Out of fairness here, they do require certification for full-time teachers. Their site lists support teachers as not needing certification.

I’d say apply then. International schools usually have pretty solid work environments, and even if it’s in the media’s spotlight now for some unscrupulous admission behavior, that won’t matter in a year or so and wouldn’t impact you as an employee. Unless there’s a much bigger scandal lying underneath. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m happy where I’m at. Was just curious to know more about this place.

sounds like the school rejected these applications and that was how it was discovered they were phony. If they want to keep their approval with AIT, they’d have to do that…one would think.

What do you mean by approval with AIT? AIT doesn’t accredit schools…

1 Like

No, they certainly don’t. Their website offers this:

AAIA is Candidate for Accreditation. Approved by the Accrediting Commission for Schools, Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
AAIA 經學校認證委員會(ACS) 西方高等學校協會(WASC) 確認通過 ACS WASC 候選資格標準。

I guess in any language this means they are as yet unaccredited.

AIT doesn’t accredit schools obviously, but they can vouch for schools that are following American standards. permission has to be sought from them to establish an American school in Taiwan

http://www.aaia.ntpc.edu.tw/index.php?action=admissions&cid=14

They are undergoing WASC accrediation, hence they are a candidate. For a school that is 4 years old, being at candidate status is nothing unusual. you’re not even eligible to apply for at least the first 2 years, I believe, and then it takes time to undergo the process.

1 Like

However, my understanding is that a lot of “international” (aka, really just overpriced and for-profit) private schools here in Taiwan are always “undergoing WASC accreditation”. Like, they open as “undergoing accreditation” and, years later, they are still “undergoing accreditation”. Certainly, it takes time, but how much time?

I was going to check on Taoyuan American school (that opened about 8 years ago and was still a “candidate for accreditation” last year, but their “domain is for sale”, so I can’t check. Or did the school shut down? If I was a bored person with too much time, I could do some damage…
(I’m salty at them for offering me 69,000/month when I have a teaching license and quite a few years teaching experience)

Point is, I would be wary of any school that’s talking about being “a candidate” for anything. It doesn’t mean anything.

1 Like

Wow! The tight-fisted gits.

That suggests they aren’t doing well if that’s all they can offer.

They’re opposite Kainan Uni, yeah? I might drive past them on my way to work tomorrow and see if they’re still in operation. I think they must be. It’s a big old campus.

1 Like

sure, but being at that status during their fourth year in operation is reasonable. if that drags on for years to come, then yeah, something’s wrong. TYAS still exists, they’re looking for teachers now in fact. 69,000 for a job there is pretty piss…you’d make more money and have less responsibility at a public school.

you’re saying you want to buy the domain? :wink:

I wouldn’t, but I thought about the damage I could do if I did, when I saw “to purchase this domain…” on their formerly website. No international school that has any respect for itself would allow their domain to die off, even (especially?) in the age of social media.

I currently work at a public school. I make around that monthly post insurance, tax withholding, etc, but there’s flight reimbursement on top of that (NT80,000/per person x2), and in there is a taxfree housing stipend. If I were to work at an international school, even in a kindy, I would expect at least 85,000/month and flight, housing, living essentials, etc. allowances. Especially in the north.