Asian American communities stand up amid string of violent attacks

Idk if that’s true. But definitely amplified by social media.
The only and most important argument against capital punishment is wrongful conviction. Even one is too many when it comes to this matter.

That subway stabber case a few years ago in Taipei might be a case for capital punishment. The evidence was clear-cut, the offender admitted to his deeds and he even wished to be put to death. But if there is just an iota of doubt, killing someone in the name of justice shouldn’t be the way to go.

Even in a world where people are competent at evaluating evidence, evidence is getting more difficult to evaluate. Eye witness testimony has always been unreliable. Confessions are suspect given the issues with the system. Now you throw in things like deep fakes getting better and better, and you can’t trust your lying eyes.

2 Likes

I agree. This is why I’m against capital punishment. We’ve gotten it wrong so many times. Even in Taiwan, there was a guy who was wrongly executed.

Don’t get me wrong, I really do feel some people deserves to die for what they did. I just don’t trust us to get it right all the time.

1 Like

What’s the right thing to do in this situation? Maybe one day we will be so enlightened as a species that kids no longer bully other kids, but until then i fail to see how such a weak ass response as crying in-front of your kid after they got bullied is the right thing to do.

2 Likes

You obviously did not read the whole thing, for starters.

He did not cry. Welled up and wailing mean different things.

And you should be sad too for the loss of innocence and also for the fear of what prejudice can do.

1 Like

The kid handled it well. If it wasn’t Chinese boy it would have been anything else. Kids bully each other for the dumbest things. He didn’t let it get to him and had an answer.

3 Likes

I pretty much never cry - not even when I drilled through my finger - but crying because of your kids pain isn’t weak ass; there’s nothing wrong with showing emotions to your kid.

1 Like

I fail to see a big difference there, welling up/ crying. same thing. Imo crying infront of his kid about it is teaching his kid not to deal with this, and instead to become a victim.

So what’s the correct way to deal with it?

1 Like

Keep on reading.

Or it’s teaching him that expressing emotions is fine. Even non victims can have emotions, eh? :wink:

I read/

“I sadly know there is no law I can pass that will protect him fully. I’ll be honest, I didn’t know what to tell him. 4/13”

Well that’s even worse, without being able to pass a law to stop children bullying he can’t even think of anything to say to his kid to help him stand up for himself and deal with the issue.

2 Likes

I thought that was weird as well. His first thoughts were passing laws to protect his kid from bullying?

1 Like

Did you read the part about his own experience?

I just received word from my sister that her friend, who was born in the States, just got her Taiwanese citizenship quite easily.

Said the new government is being lax with it because they need more people.

Taiwan can become a refuge in case a race war erupts in the US.

For who? :thinking:

Taiwanese-Americans and others.

:thinking:

How old, and citizenship of parents?

If she’s around my sister’s age then about 30. Parents Taiwanese.

Must have been Trump’s fault back then too. Glad she was armed:

And this. Looking for the original song on YT - I could only find a live version:
Original outcry was from 2016.