Asian American communities stand up amid string of violent attacks

Sooo… That doesn’t sound any more lax than it’s supposed to be. :wink:

1 Like

McNulty, you’ll have to walk us thru this one so we at least have some idea what these people are thinking.

A man who pleaded guilty to committing a bias crime against an Asian American man will participate in restorative justice instead of being sentenced to more time in jail, Multnomah County prosecutors said Friday.

Daniel Hutchens, 38, was convicted of a second-degree bias crime for punching the man at a Portland MAX stop in December.

He approached the man, who was waiting for the MAX near North Interstate Avenue and Lombard Street, asked him, “Are you Chinese?” and punched him in the face, officials said. . . .

Restorative justice
is a process that focuses on holding an attacker accountable through community dialogue, education and directly addressing the harm done to victims and communities… . .

Hutchens has previously been convicted of charges including assaulting a public safety officer, resisting arrest, burglary and driving under the influence, according to court records. He also has an open fourth-degree assault case in Multnomah County from early March.

The mob enter an Asian American business:

And:

1 Like

In the UK my dad suffered 3 break ins in 2 years. He has a silent alarm system connected to a private security firm, CCTV cameras too. The third time they got caught in the act. It was a family of criminals that were found guilty of around 10% of all break ins in the county you now preside. They got 2 years.
They used to have guard dogs and never got broken into then. Two huge highly anti social trained guard dogs. However in old age they stopped keeping dogs. And they would probably get sued by the burglars now. I nearly got sued when my non trained bull breed (now banned) savaged a burglar trying to get in through the cat door. Anyway the Lincolnshire police are more amiable and less PC than the Thames Valley police.

3 Likes

More attacks.

California criminal justice system is failing.

BTW, that Asian guy in Oakland, uhm, wasn’t. Latino.

Really scummy to attack the elderly.

I don’t know if things have changed, but my understanding is that if you’re known for crimes against elderly people in prison that puts a target on your back. There are certain crimes that are not respected by criminals.

Dunno about the elderly thing, however, afaik, rape and child rape won’t get you many friends in the clink.

Not being helpful in the least.

1 Like

Your experiences are very valid, and it’s very heartbreaking to hear that that was your experience and that anti-Asian violence is terrifyingly worse now.
For the sake of adding to the discussion, I agree with @Poundsand 's point;
since you’re bringing up the racial tension between the Black community and the Asian community, the Black beauty industry is an extremely relevant point as it has been a huge source of a great amount of tension. It may not be something you’re aware of since it is outside of your experience, but it’s something worth adding to the table.

Here are a few resources to get you started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9F1xaNWKEw

These are definitely hard discussions to have solely because there is that tension, but it’s also important to note that these two communities are both victims of deeply rooted systemic racism and oppression, and that’s the bigger evil to be fought. These discussions can go back and forth but at the end of the day, if the root problem is still there, nothing will be fixed.

I am not Asian, so cannot possibly speak for you in all this. I am an African immigrant living in NY however, and something I was forced to learn very early after moving here when I was in high school, was that there are certain privileges or simple human rights that don’t come easy if you aren’t white, and there are certain biases and preconseived notions about you solely bases on your skin color.

Nevertheless, my prayers go out to the AAPI community. My closest friends are Asian and I work in an Asian-owned business with most of my coworkers being Asian, so I feel helpless watching them go through this. I just fear for them and have no idea how to possibly comfort them during this time. The only thing is can do is tell them and you that your experiences are valid and many of us stand with you as allies. If you ever want to share your story or have suggestions on how the global community can help on this forum, let us know. I’m still new on here but it seems like the type of platform that would be good for that.

2 Likes

I don’t know how much you’ve read, I’m in the beauty industry.

What I’m seeing is a very clear pattern that these attacks often come from Blacks in the US. It’s very hard to ignore and people have caught on. This is something that people don’t want to talk about, but it’s there. I think you’re missing a very big chunk of the issue by going straight to systematic racism. Systemic racism is so vague that it’s not very useful.

What exactly is the issue? This is what I want to talk about. I’ve made it a point to get to very exact issues and not just blame systemic racism which doesn’t help anyone understand anything. How do you want to solve systemic racism that is the root problem of this? Idk. I’ve made specific points that need to address because I think that’s important.

2 Likes

I wonder if this one receives any funding for her claptrap:

A post was split to a new topic: From Asian Americans

They are only really useful for STEM.

I was hearing speculation today that a split may be inevitable.

And we should take your word on this because…?

Perhaps you could look at the types of jobs a degree in Liberal Art gets you to be able to pay back your loans or a degree in say, Structural Engineering.

Of course structural engineering is a better career decision and pays better in most cases. That does not mean that other branches of academia are not useful.

Loan repayment and the usefulness of areas of study are obviously not the same thing. I also don’t know what relation the video you posted is to the topic of Asian American communities being under attack.

Protests continue across the east coast, 4/10.