Asian Americans teaching in Taiwan?

[quote=“13cyberphoenix”]I had some questions about trying to obtain an English-teaching job in Taiwan (I may also consider Korea since I am a Korean American and know how to read Korean. However, I don’t have much interest in the heavy drinking culture, K-dramas or kpop). I don’t have any teaching credentials, but I do have a BS in Math and science from a school in the US.

1. What months during the year is it easiest to find a job?
  2. If I were to arrive in Taiwan anytime from now until this May, how long would it likely take before I could find a job?
  3. I know that schools heavily favor whites over Asian Americans, but how are Asian American males treated by the people? Would they treat me differently if I spoke Mandarin fluently but still had an American accent? I know that Koreans can be very rude towards Korean Americans who don’t speak Korean, but doubt it’ll be that bad in Taiwan. How do the Taiwanese girls see Asian Americans?
  4. Since I can’t speak any Mandarin, how would I go about making local friends at first? Just do language exchange? Will there be any Taiwanese coworkers who I can make friends with?[/quote]

Welcome, 13. As a starter, let me just say that heavy drinking is prevalent throughout the world (except maybe in the Muslim countries :smiley: ).

As for K-drama and kpop, we got 'em here in the 'wan as well except for the translation.

Now, onto the important Q&As:

1. Usually it’s after CNY. However, if you do put efforts into it (i.e. cold calls, walk-ins), you can obtain an English teaching job quickly.
  2. Give it a month or more with efforts. But then since you look like Taiwanese, double the amount of time. Usually, if the staff likes you, you’ll be hired immediately.
  3. There was quite a stir a while back with one of the Taiwanese Olympians being accused by a Korean judge of cheating in the Tae-Kwan-Do sport and anti-Korean sentiments were the result of it throughout the island but has since died down somewhat. Nevertheless, you will occasionally run into a few folks who will berate you for being a Korean. If I were you, I’d pretend to be an ABC who doesn’t know squat about Chinese language while living on this island. As for English teaching, you’re no better off than ABCs/CBCs/WhateverBCs since, in their eyes, “we all look the same”.
    As for skirt chasing, well, that’s not really an appropriate subject on the “Teaching Engrish in the 'wan” section :smiley: :laughing: Let’s just say that some TW girls do have preferences for ABCs/CBCs but I’m not sure about western born/educated Asians though.
  4. Well, Forumosa is a starter.

[quote=“13cyberphoenix”]I had some questions about trying to obtain an English-teaching job in Taiwan (I may also consider Korea since I am a Korean American and know how to read Korean. However, I don’t have much interest in the heavy drinking culture, K-dramas or kpop). I don’t have any teaching credentials, but I do have a BS in Math and science from a school in the US.

1. What months during the year is it easiest to find a job?

2. If I were to arrive in Taiwan anytime from now until this May, how long would it likely take before I could find a job?

3. I know that schools heavily favor whites over Asian Americans, but how are Asian American males treated by the people? Would they treat me differently if I spoke Mandarin fluently but still had an American accent? I know that Koreans can be very rude towards Korean Americans who don’t speak Korean, but doubt it’ll be that bad in Taiwan. How do the Taiwanese girls see Asian Americans?

4. Since I can’t speak any Mandarin, how would I go about making local friends at first? Just do language exchange? Will there be any Taiwanese coworkers who I can make friends with?[/quote]

5. It is easiest to find a new job right after Chinese New Year.

6. Depends on what you are looking to do. But you would really need to know a bit of Mandarin for work.

7. Depends where you work really. Koreans are quite popular locally. They have churches dotted all around the city. Hit up Naver / Daum and look up the Korean Community in Taipei, Taichung, etc.

8. You should have no problem, as there are plenty of Alphabet citizens here in Taipei.
    Hope that helps.

[quote=“PigBloodCake”]
Welcome, 13. As a starter, let me just say that heavy drinking is prevalent throughout the world (except maybe in the Muslim countries :smiley: ).[/quote]

Not in Hsinchu :frowning:

If you’re coming to Tainan any time soon I’ll pass one of my tutoring gigs to you come summer. It’s only 1500 a week but it’s dead easy (helping her progress through the school textbook) and she LOVES Koreans.

The 13+ age range students will love you just because you’re Korean.

You could also have a look at the Taipei Korean School.

You could also have a look at the Taipei Korean School.

I think he’d need a Korean teaching qualification to teach there.

[quote=“13cyberphoenix”]Thanks for the replies. I’m mostly thinking about moving to Japan or Taiwan to possibly spend a year teaching English. I like Japanese pop culture and know some basic Japanese, but I hear that, compared to the Taiwanese, they can be far less tolerant and friendly towards those who can’t speak their language. So that’s why I’m still considering coming to Taiwan
[/quote]
Japan is more difficult to exist in than Taiwan if you don’t speak Japanese but I wouldn’t characterize it as far less tolerant and friendly per se. Also the Japanese seem more open to Koreans now even though Korean culture isn’t all the rage it was a couple of years ago. As a Korean-American I think you may fit in more in Japan than in Taiwan. I’ve only spent a couple of months in Japan vs. a couple of years in Taiwan so I can’t provide a balanced comparison though. I think they’re about even in terms of livability but they appeal to very different personalities. Some people love one and can’t stand the other.