ASIAN Qualifiers Taiwan vs. South Korea

This evening at the ever so popular Chung Shan Stadium in Taipei (opposite Yuang Shan MRT Station) at 6pm. Mighty Chinese Taipei take on South Korea in an international Football game. South Korea obviously being scared of our National team field a very strong team including 9 players that participated in the recent FIFA 2006 world Cup. Entrance is free! Be there early to get a good seat!Come on Taiwan!If you are teaching, this is an excelent opportunity for a field trip with your students.

can you confirm the 6 pm start? i read 4 pm in the local drivel rag…

edit: sorry i confirmed it for myself…6 pm it is…just hope nothing hits my inbox after 4 pm so i can slope off

Put uncle Michael on the blower with the CTFA once again and yes, it is 6pm.

I would also encourage people to go - Taiwan will need all the support they can get. BTW it’s a disgrace the lack of coverage of this fixture in the local press. A passing mention in the China Post (lumped together with all the other qualifying games) and nothing at all in the Taipei Times. It’s a sorry state of affairs when you have to go to the Korean press for a match preview. FYI

koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/ … 160011.asp

[quote=“lark”]I would also encourage people to go - Taiwan will need all the support they can get. BTW it’s a disgrace the lack of coverage of this fixture in the local press. A passing mention in the China Post (lumped together with all the other qualifying games) and nothing at all in the Taipei Times. It’s a sorry state of affairs when you have to go to the Korean press for a match preview. FYI

koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/ … 160011.asp[/quote]

Actually I saw a news snippet on the squads preparation for the fixture on a local news channel the other night.

I agree and certainly should give a blast to the Taipei Times for not mentioning it at all. Best preview is in the Taiwan News
taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_c … ews_Sports
ICRT will cover it tomorrow morning in their 8’15am sports report

Wonder who’ll win?

Professional coverage of the game in the Taipei-Times and Taiwan News by qualified contributing reporters, a short AP report in the Post. Bad game with Korea benching most good players in
the squad, Taiwan not even managing double passing resulting in a 3 to nil defeat for Taiwan. Bad advertising for Taiwan with a pitch that is likely worse than the Da-An Park. A score board clock that is broken for at least 3 years. Lights in the Public Toillets got turned off even before the game finished, chaos in the car park before and after the game. Warm drinks from an over crowded 7-11 store. What was really nice to see that for a change, over 5000people made it to the game, usually there are only a few hundreds.

yes it was great to see 5000 plus turn out. i sat behind the koreans for 30 mins just to refresh my memory of what a real footy crowd is like…tragic that as usual no real effort was made to attack by taiwan; 0 attempts on goal by my recollection…all it would take would be one goal to get some real momentum going…

just as an off-the-wall idea…could taiwan host a developing nations tournament? say bangladesh, nepal, laos…i get the feeling if taiwan could just win a game and score a couple of goals it would do them a world of good…looking at the number of players being stretchered off last night match fitness must be a problem…understandable given they are amateurs agst a full professional team

Yes but football’s not a truly international game like baseball. You can’t expect the Taiwanese to be terribly interested in it.

funny thing is it would really only take one result to get a whole shitload of people on the bandwagon…public interest is high post world cup hence a crowd of 5000 despite no promotion at all for the game…

Do not agree my dear fellow, the game was well promoted. Luke wrote a preview in the Taiwan News, Emily David announced it on ICRT (at 5’30pm after we called the station en route to the stadium) and last but not least I, myself posted about the game on Forumosa. Apple Daily, Liberty times and some blue papers did have a preview with kick off time, location. Afraid that is how good it will get with the people that are presently in charge of football affairs involving the national team here.

Another thing is that the team is so awful who would be bothered with it. Kind of a cart-horse thing. Like watching the Taiwanese orienteering team reading maps.

no i meant promotion in the sense of huge billboard display type things and tv ads…yes i know i’m dreaming

yes but its the whole david v goliath type aspect…or the desperate underdogs that just, just bloody once, pull out a performance to make the nation sit up and take notice…i was 15 when NZ qualified for the Spain World Cup…it remains the single most outstanding sporting achievement I have witnessed simply because of the improbablity of it…13 matches culminating with a playoff in Beijing in front of 80,000 screaming locals…plus we put 2 goals past the scots in the event proper…

So what was the final score?

Korea won 3 - 0 ?

sounds like a respectable result for the 3rd (football) world Taiwan team…

:wink: