Asian toilets vs Western toilets

Which toilets are better?

• I prefer Asian toilets.
  • I prefer Western Toilets.

0 voters

I work at a high school and there are only Asian style squatter toilets here. To me these things are a royal pain in the butt. They are uncomfortable and make getting the job done a lot more difficult. I cannot for the life of me understand why some people prefer these things. They ruin my day. Can somebody explain the advantages of Asian toilets to me? (I don’t think there are any.)

I prefer Asian ones. They’re closer. 11,000km just to take a dump seems a little extreme to me.

They are supposed to be healthier.

slate.com/articles/health_an … there.html

The advantages of a squat toilet are related to the lower cost, ease of maintenance and upkeep and the ease of cleaning versus a western style toilet. The comfort or discomfort provided the user is of no concern to the individuals who pay for it, maintain it and those who must clean it.

On a personal note. Who takes a shit in their workplace anyway? :astonished:

My Doc back home told me that squatting reduces the risk of the old piles.
I must admit I like a good read on the shitter, so asian ones are not for me, especially after the ones I often saw and smelt on trips to Chinese factories.

I must admit I used one once. I was so scared I would shit on my pants or underpants, I basically got totally undressed.

Squatting is a much more natural position for the waste to be pushed out. From what I understand, it would be very hard to get hemorrhoids if you’re a squatter. I’ve also noticed personally that a BM on a sit toilet might take a minute of “preparation” before it’s released, while on a squatter it will be released almost instantly with very little/no effort.

This is why many asians who are very comfortable squatting stand up on toilet rims and squat, and you end up with the “do no squat on this toilet rim” pictures that we see online sometimes. They do it because it’s more comfortable, not because they’re morons who don’t know how to use a sit toilet.

[quote=“greves”]Squatting is a much more natural position for the waste to be pushed out. From what I understand, it would be very hard to get hemorrhoids if you’re a squatter. I’ve also noticed personally that a BM on a sit toilet might take a minute of “preparation” before it’s released, while on a squatter it will be released almost instantly with very little/no effort.

This is why many asians who are very comfortable squatting stand up on toilet rims and squat, and you end up with the “do no squat on this toilet rim” pictures that we see online sometimes. They do it because it’s more comfortable, not because they’re morons who don’t know how to use a sit toilet.[/quote]

I have to go with the moron argument.

While I can see a squat toilet as being comfortable, because it is specifically designed for squating, I cannot say the same for someone trying to balance and squat, on the rim of a western shitter. You cannot say that can be comfortable in any way? :eh:

[quote=“greves”]Squatting is a much more natural position for the waste to be pushed out. From what I understand, it would be very hard to get hemorrhoids if you’re a squatter. I’ve also noticed personally that a BM on a sit toilet might take a minute of “preparation” before it’s released, while on a squatter it will be released almost instantly with very little/no effort.

This is why many asians who are very comfortable squatting stand up on toilet rims and squat, and you end up with the “do no squat on this toilet rim” pictures that we see online sometimes. They do it because it’s more comfortable, not because they’re morons who don’t know how to use a sit toilet.[/quote]
I would never suggest that they are morons. I would suggest that they are contortionists who like to do everything the slow painful and difficult way.

Its a dump, chaps. A dump. Why the kerfuffle over a dump? When you go outside, you squat (hopefully with some big-leaved plant close at hand for ease of cleanliness). But seriously? There are people who can’t figure this out? Its a strange old world, for sure.

IMO there are pros and cons in both types. The asian toilets are better for younger people, or those without leg problems. If a person is too fat, has knee or joint problems, or is too old to stand properly, they will need to find a western toilet or wear some adult diaper. But most places with western toilets don’t have seat liners. I always carry a little bag of wet tissues with me, I desinfect the seat before using it.

You asked for it.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2010/08/dont_just_sit_there.html

The other big advantage of a squat toilet is that you don’t touch the toilet itself. At all. I would never sit my ass down on a public toilet.

I rarely see squat toilets in Taiwan. They are very common in Japan (suppose Japanese are obsessed with having everything clean).
The biggest difference I noticed to ‘western’ public toilets is that usually there are no splash guards or the urinals aren’t well shut off from the public in malls and restaurants. Meaning if the access to the toilet area is open any [strike]bypisser[/strike] bypasser might see ya pee.
Also some urinals here are facing outside windows so you can look outside… and relax, and watch traffic.

Which makes you a moron too as you couldn’t figure out how to use a simple squat toilet… :wink:

For me the discomfort was that my leg muscles weren’t strong enough to maintain that position for long enough and I’d need a place to put my hands for upper body support. You don’t see it so much in Taiwan, but Japanese and Indonesians seemed, from childhood, to be naturally comfortable sitting in a squatting position. For them, 3 mins of squatting is no biggy. For me… hellish on the calf muscles.

Plus I concur with an earlier point, with a little self control one should be able to keep ones motions confined to the home.

The advantages of a squat toilet are related to the lower cost, ease of maintenance and upkeep and the ease of cleaning versus a western style toilet. The comfort or discomfort provided the user is of no concern to the individuals who pay for it, maintain it and those who must clean it.

On a personal note. Who takes a shit in their workplace anyway? :astonished:[/quote]
Sometimes you have no choice, like in times of intestinal distress :sick:

I don’t like squatting. The following are my reasons:

1. Hard to balance.
  2. Hard to aim, especially in cases of diarrhea.
  3. Concern that stuff will fall out of my pockets.
  4. Can’t sit and read.
  5. Overall feeling of yuckiness.

[quote=“Chris”]I don’t like squatting. The following are my reasons:

1. in cases of diarrhea.
  2. Can’t sit and read.
  3. Overall feeling of yuckiness.[/quote]

These points can easily converge in a Western toilet. I also wonder if women like to read while huffing great lungfuls of their own shit back up their nostrils as much as men do… :smiley:

The disgust impulse only lasts 7 seconds, explaining why you can sit and read in close proximity to your own shit, but when the next person enters the loo they want to gag.

Well there are not many who take magazines into a squat toilet, thats for sure.

What’s a seat liner?

I’m not convinced about this. Getting haemorrhoids is (apparently) related to sitting down on the bog for extended periods. The squat position is really not a lot different, but it’s so bloody uncomfortable you HAVE to get the job done as quickly as humanly possible. Hence no haemorrhoids.

Don’t know where my quote button has gone, but Superking seems to have misread my post.
As I said, it is moronic for someone to squat on the rim of a Western toilet.