Ask urodacus!

Right.
Chicks don’t get science, give it up.[/quote]

Ohhh, you are so wrong. I was ALMOST, [color=#FFBF00]A[/color][color=#FF4000]L[/color][color=#BFFF00]M[/color][color=#BF8000]O[/color][color=#BF0000]S[/color][color=#80BF00]T[/color] gonna be a scientist! First it was a fascination with Biology, then Astronomy, Then Geology, oh and then, almost, psychology. I kinda actually really love science. But a lot of people think that chicks who dig science are wierd. I’m not wierd, but I am kinda one of a kind.

Right.
Chicks don’t get science, give it up.[/quote]

Ohhh, you are so wrong. I was ALMOST, [color=#FFBF00]A[/color][color=#FF4000]L[/color][color=#BFFF00]M[/color][color=#BF8000]O[/color][color=#BF0000]S[/color][color=#80BF00]T[/color] gonna be a scientist! First it was a fascination with Biology, then Astronomy, Then Geology, oh and then, almost, psychology. I kinda actually really love science. But a lot of people think that chicks who dig science are wierd. I’m not wierd, but I am kinda one of a kind.[/quote]

Like I said, chicks don’t get science.

Why do we yawn?

I always thought it was to get a sharp intake of oxygen to make us alert when tired or bored. However, my wife just had her 6 month scan and our baby yawned. I don’t get it. I’ve tried searching google and the general consenus seems to be a stonehenge ‘nobody knows’ kind of answer.

Do you know?

nobody really knows, but it is a very old habit (evolutionarily speaking, it seems to go back a long way in mammalian history). Most groups of modern mammals yawn, including marsupials, but not monotremes (well, I have never seen an echidna or a platypus yawn, at any rate). It must have pretty strong roots and some strong reason for existence or it would have been lost in many families by now. It is likely that such an ancient system has been co-opted by other reasons, not all of which have their roots in the original reason for yawning, so study of why it exists are likely to be complicated by red herrings. For instance, it is some kind of social signal in humans but the reason for yawning is probably not because it is a social signal.

I think I spoke about that earlier.

Your baby yawned in utero, just like your baby performs many other reflex tasks in utero (stretching, curling toes , suckling, handgrasping, kicking, etc). Yawning is not so special, from that point of view. All reflexes get tested as the nerve to muscle circuits mature; without such ‘practise’, the circuits would not build properly.

Thank you :bow: .

It’s because we are sleepy.

Whatever happened to Winning Bicycle Racing magazine?

I used to buy it occasionally in the 1980s. It was awesome, full of great, glossy, inspirational photos.

Was it also available outside the US? Apparently they stopped publishing at some point, right?

What a shame (and strange), as it was so good.

Why does it seem harder to fall asleep when I’m dead tired? If I’m feeling okay, just going to be because it’s time for that, I can usually fall asleep okay. If I’m wondering why I haven’t died from lack of rest already, I can’t seem to fall asleep for anything, and if I do, it’s not usually good sleep at all.

Also, why does Lupus happen? OR any auto immune kind of thing? Do we over stress the body unitl it starts to attack itself? Something in the invironment that leaches into us slowly?

Gone, only remembered by a few eBay sales of back copies.

and nice pic of LeMond on the front…

Which is better, pie or cake?

depends where you are. In Germany or Austria, the cake is better. In Australia or New Zealand, the meat pie is better. In Chicago, the pizza pie.

Nowhere in the world is the pumpkin pie better. Bleeergh.

Meat pies, yeesh, what a fuckin rube.
Here, how about a meat cake??

Not having much of a sweet tooth, but at least coming from a place where both pies and cakes are prepared and appreciated properly as dessert items, the way the good Lord intended, I’d have to say pie takes the edge.
For some reason, it seems that cake (or cakes) rarely ascend to the same summit of magnificence as pies (often) do.

My Mama’s sour cream meringue pie is quite literally transcendental in more ways than you can express, and when you consider the joys of a perfect slice of key lime, or pecan or peach pie, I don’t see there being any contest.
That all sounds real rural, maybe that’s the difference, do city kids like pie???

As I was discussing with a fellow Forumosan the other day, it is neither pie nor cake which occupies the apex of the dessert pile. The rightful king of puddings is the mighty rhubarb and apple crumble with custard, as made by my mother. Nothing in the world can possibly top that.

Here is someone else’s (doubtless inferior) version:

Meat cake: yum. I’m thinking glorified shepherds pie here, minced up left over roast lamb and beef from the weekend, maybe with the roast onions and carrots and parsnips minced in with it, then covered with a generopus thcik potato mash and baked again.

Yum…

or there’s a pork pie: ham and jelly in a very short puff pastry… (never could get that pastry right myself). It was always better to get them at the bar with a few pickled onions, a couple of hard boiled eggs, (pickled if in Wales) and a pint or three of bitter.

or an Aussie beef and mushrooms pie, or the chicken and vegetable pie for the non-carnivorous wimps out there.

I’m not denying that some dessert pies are good, and I love my gradnma’s apple pie (she was german, so there’s the german pie support) but I can’t get over sweet jelly-like pies like too many pumpkin pies seem to be. or sweet potato pie… or yam pie with pecans. etc.

a Matter of Taste, and where and how one was raised.

DB’s Mom’s Pineapple cake is the bestest. Served it for 3 groups of people and everyone was oohing and aahing as if there was an orgy going on.

Pineapple Upsidedown cake, to be precise.
Pineapple Rightsideup cake, well, that’s just cake.

The first ex-Mrs. the chief, for whom I cooked dinner every night of our near-decade long relationship, demanded that I make her scratch lemon meringue pie once a week.

Kinda put me off that one, especially since it was never one of my faves anyways…

[/quote]

That looks delicious. I am so hungry for some mash and pie now.

Pineapple Upsidedown cake, to be precise.
Pineapple Rightsideup cake, well, that’s just cake.

The first ex-Mrs. the chief, for whom I cooked dinner every night of our near-decade long relationship, demanded that I make her scratch lemon meringue pie once a week.

Kinda put me off that one, especially since it was never one of my faves anyways…[/quote]
Yes you’re right, upside down it is :lick:

ANd what do you mean by first ex??? There are more?

[/quote]

That looks delicious. I am so hungry for some mash and pie now.[/quote]

I certainly never meant to imply that I wouldn’t be all over that mofo like a 2-headed Hindu at the Boneless Chicken Ranch, quite the contrary, I’d be the first one in with two hands and a foot…

and

Damn! I’d love either one of those right about now! :lick: