He was killed by poisoning.
He was murdered by bomb explosion.

:thinking:

English is a funny old language, innit?

1 Like

The phrase seems to have somewhat of a presence in Google Books:

"assassinated by gunshot" - Google 搜尋

A little comparison:

Assassinated by a wound just sounds not right. But hey it’s a funny language. :smile:

The wound would be a “gunshot wound.” A wound caused by a gunshot.

Whatever wound it was, it did the assassination. Bad wound.

1 Like

Okay, then we disagree. :man_shrugging:

I’d definitely change it if it was in something I was editing, including in a headline. I’m not 100% sure it’s wrong, but I find it awkward at best, and it seems some others do too.

1 Like

No, it was the cause of death.

Those numbers on the y axis seem pretty low though - it appears to have been used something like 22 times over a century. That’s uncommon enough for it to be suspicious.

1 Like

My only problem with this is that “assassinate by” to me sounds like it points at the culprit who carried out the assassination not the methods and certainly not the cause of death. I know English is quite flexible at times, and that’s why I started this thread. Just wanted to hear what native speakers had to say about it.

I, ignorant as I am, probably would have used “with”. “He was assassinated with a gun.” “He was killed by a gun/gunshot” sounds OK to me too, cause it points more to the cause of death. “Assassinate”, however, to me seems to be pointing more to the motivation part of the action not the dying part.

This is a big nothing-burger, I know. :laughing:

1 Like

You’re not wrong. That’s what I would expect to see after “by” here as well.

= He was assassinated by means of a gun. = He was assassinated by (a) gun/gunshot.

It sounds very unnatural to my ears, but not grammatically incorrect I think.

That’s it.

English is basically held together with duct tape and ABC gum… :sweat_smile:

And the blood, snot and sweat of a dozen linguistic ingressions and outright overwhelmings.

Assassinated by bleeding out. :melting_face:

Caused by gunshot…