Assistance needed for insurance options - Canadian Quebec Resident

Hello everyone.

I am in need of some assistance in regard to purchasing insurance. I am planning on applying for the ROC Visa and will be purchasing my ticket to Taiwan (Taoyuan) for October 15th. My girlfriend will be moving there to teach English a week before me. Everything is being sponsored for her by the company.

My question is: I will not be entitled to my provincial medical insurance as of June 2018 (what I was told when I called the RAMQ), since this will be my second time in 7 years leaving the country for over 183 days. I called Blue Cross and they told me I would need approval from the RAMQ to sell me insurance, which they will not provide. So I basically cannot purchase insurance from them for longer than 180 days.

My question is. Are there any other options for insurance? Can I apply for a 6 month visa and then ask for an extension while I am there? Does anyone have a suggestion for private insurance that I will not have to pay an insane amount of money for?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Will you get an ARC after you come here with ROC visa?

If you will stay taiwan for more than 6 months with an ARC, you are entitled to taiwanese National Health Insurance. It’s not enough, so you need an additional private insurance?

Hi Tando,

Thank you for your reply. The issue I have is that I want to apply for 1 year, but I need to show proof of health insurance for the duration of my permitted stay in Taiwan. I just don’t want to run into any issues when I apply for the visa and have to pay the $133 again to reapply and possibly lose money from the insurance I bought.

This is the link to the qualification requirements: http://www.taiwanembassy.org/cayvr_en/post/163.html

Any suggestions? Do you know if I can I apply for 1 year with only 6 months of insurance paid for?

Thanks again for your help!

To answer your question. I am not entirely sure about how to get an ARC. I will be looking for work, so I guess I can apply for that once I have a job lined up, or can I apply either way?

Thanks again.

@jondejeu

How about World Nomad,Care Med,or Allianz?

Oh, this is for a working holiday visa! That changes things.

The only people with WHV’s who need ARC’s are Britons. Some people might tell you you need one, but actually you don’t, and logically you would need to cancel your visa to get one (because the WHV would be replaced by a resident visa), but that would cancel your permission to work.

More information here:

As for proof of insurance, you need whatever the TECO is willing to accept. The initial period of stay is 180 days, so in theory they should accept insurance that will only cover that period if you really intend not to extend it (and say so in the application letter).

Please note the “180x2=360 not 365” problem explained in the other thread.

1 Like

Hi yyy,

Thank you for your reply and the information. The only thing is, I do intend to stay for the whole year. So I’m guessing it would just be better to get the insurance for 1 year…

Do you know if it is possible to apply for 6 months and then ask for an extension? Or is this just being too hopeful?

Thanks again for your help!

I can’t condone deceiving the authorities. :police_car: :policeman: :innocent:

But again, when you apply for the visa you need whatever the TECO is willing to accept.

The TECO won’t decide whether or not to approve your application for an extension of stay after 180 days or your re-entry (if you leave and re-enter Taiwan). You’ll deal with the NIA instead, and afaik they don’t care about health insurance (though I suppose they could care about it if they wanted to or if the Ministry of the Interior ordered them to).

As @yyy mentioned and written in the page you put a link, the WH visa is valid for 1 year, but allowed duration to stay is 180 day. If you want to stay longer, you need to ask for an extension anyway.

Insurance plans by the companies I put names are too expensive?

Hi Tando,

I am looking into the insurance companies you provided as we speak. I just want to weigh my options before making a purchase, as I do not want to have to pay for an extra 6 months of insurance if I don’t need it.

I guess I will have to give the TECO a call again, although they were not super helpful the last time I called with questions…

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it!

Hi yyy,

I definitely do not want to deceive them in any way haha! I just do not want to pay for something I won’t need in the end. It’s also just more a matter of making sure I have everything I need when applying for the WHV and not have to go back and forth with them because I have 6 months of insurance and am asking for a 1 year visa.

I’m not sure how strict they are with these things. I will have to give them another call I guess and see what they say.

Thanks for helping me out with this! Much appreciated.

Afaik they don’t tailor this type of visa to individual applications, so you’ll get the same conditions as any other Canadian with a WHV, i.e. initial stay 180 days, maximum stay 1 year.

Do pay attention to the date(s) printed on the visa, as they sometimes make mistakes.