Associating Friday with other things

Ok, I asked this Qu on Facebook, but I will ask it here too, as the replies here are generally more weird/meaty/something or the other.

What is the obsession people have with the day of the week we call Friday? It seems to be all some people live for. Is it Friday? Is it nearly Friday? When is Friday? You see it on facebook all week long. Fanny Bojangles says: Not Friday. Boo. :cry: Steven Hammercock says: YES!!! Only three days till Friday.

Either life is mind numbingly insipid for these people, or they have some odd crush on a day of the week.

Personally, I dislike Fridays. It is the longest, most boring, most useless day of the week.

I don’t think I have a sense of feeling for any one day of the week in particular.

I agree, when I was forced to be a full-timer there was not a day worse than Friday. Production is always bad, so bad that my corporate monkey-suit job decided that most folks could just work 10-hour days, Monday-Thursday and just skip Friday all the way. Stats on employee production greatly improved after that.

Guess I like Fridays since my SO and pals will have the next couple of days off so instead of being by my lonesome self I get a chance to socialize with the general population.

That’s a great idea, except that then Thursday would become the new, “Friday”. A couple more cycles and then where would we be? On the dole, I guess, with every day running into the next. I remember when Saturday was the, “Friday”.

I like hump day.

I don’t like Fridays. Their food sucks and it’s not cheap, either.

Yes, life is mind-numbingly insipid from M–F, for me. And don’t call me Fanny Bojangles!

M to F, I write shite books, on Friday at 5 I start readingwritingcoolstuffkendoacupuncturewalkingincountrysideboattripsgardeningtrainstofamilyplacesfunwithfriendsetcetc.

You spend all day doing whatever you like. I am still figuring out how to pay for the self-same and what that would be anyway.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Yes, life is mind-numbingly insipid from M–F, for me. And don’t call me Fanny Bojangles!

M to F, I write shite books, on Friday at 5 I start readingwritingcoolstuffkendoacupuncturewalkingincountrysideboattripsgardeningtrainstofamilyplacesfunwithfriendsetcetc.

You spend all day doing whatever you like. I am still figuring out how to pay for the self-same and what that would be anyway.[/quote]

I’m aware of the fact that people hate their jobs. I’m aware that people take pleasure in aesthetic outpourings. What I don’t understand is that it is expressed as ‘Is it Friday? When is Friday?’ People still have to work on Friday, and they are at their most tired workwise on a Friday. Logically Friday should therefore even be despised. Yet, people don’t say, “I can’t wait to see my family. I’m really looking forward to…” they instead obsess about a day of the week. A day of the week they still have to work through! Don’t get it.

It’s a simple codeword for that feeling of freedom.

:bow: :thumbsup:

Sure, most people work on Fridays, but it’s Friday NIGHTS that everyone gets happy about. It means that most of your mates will be out on the piss and you can get more wasted and stay out later than you would on a weeknight cos you don’t have to work on Saturday. Duh.

Ok, my question is clearly not direct enough, so I have reworded the title, and I will give this another bash.

What is the purpose of the codeword ‘Friday,’ to talk about a range of a billion activities that have nothing whatsoever to do with going to work on the last day of the weekly work cycle? Friday is a work day. It is not a party, meeting friends, or whatever. It is a name for a day of the week. Why do people associate Friday with their freedom, when in fact Friday is not a day of freedom. If anything, people should be obsessed with Saturday, shouldn’t they?

No. In my experience, people party harder on Friday nights than Saturday nights. Letting off steam from the mind-numbingly frustrating ennui of the week.

And because it’s Friday, I’m going to spam you on Facebook.

Yes it is. It’s both. You’re thinking of Thursday.

The joy of the liminal?

Yes it is. It’s both. You’re thinking of Thursday.

The joy of the liminal?[/quote]

Friday is purgatory… could be something in that. The cusp between the perceptions of drudgery and freedom.

[quote=“jimipresley”]No. In my experience, people party harder on Friday nights than Saturday nights. Letting off steam from the mind-numbingly frustrating ennui of the week.

And because it’s Friday, I’m going to spam you on Facebook.[/quote]

Probably more logistical than anything. You’ve got more time to recover Mr. Black Hole

Friday, like Monday is a transitional period.

i think you’re over thinking this. It’s a bit like people saying “I hate mondays” cos they can see the week ahead of them.

So i associate with Fridays with the last day i have to do what the boss says for another 2 days.

I associate mondays with a week of potential trouble

Tom isn’t really that serious. I guess he’s just been watching Seinfeld videos on YouTube and decided to start a Seinfeldesque rant. Either that or he’s related to Woody Allen.

Tom,
Two questions for you to get to the bottom of this.
Are you currently employed?
Do you abstain from the demon drink on weekdays?
I’m guessing a Double Nay.

[quote=“almas john”]Tom isn’t really that serious. I guess he’s just been watching Seinfeld videos on YouTube and decided to start a Seinfeldesque rant. Either that or he’s related to Woody Allen.

Tom,
Two questions for you to get to the bottom of this.
Are you currently employed?
Do you abstain from the demon drink on weekdays?
I’m guessing a Double Nay.[/quote]

I am employed in the sense that I have an active goal to achieve every day which involves monetary stress and external pressures.
I was shitfaced to buggery on Tuesday afternoon.

Let me ask a broader question cos you are all getting bogged down with it being Friday and you all wanting to go out and get corner creature drunk: Why do we attach personalized meanings and (often) false associations to words?