Associating Friday with other things

Because Saussurian abitrary ref randomosity is to harsh for out craven, cupboard-lovin’ souls? :laughing:

Language evolves. Because it does. Have you read ‘The Blind Watchmaker’, to go on a slight tangent? Referents are not staic, and are socially conceived.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Because Saussurian abitrary ref randomosity is to harsh for out craven, cupboard-lovin’ souls? :laughing:

Language evolves. Because it does. Have you read ‘The Blind Watchmaker’, to go on a slight tangent? Referents are not staic, and are socially conceived.[/quote]

FINALLY! Thanks you Buttercup, I shall swan off and look at Saussure for a while. Should help me with a few things I’m trying to link together.

Well, why didn’t you just ask? You had to crowd your question with your social chatter. :laughing:

I’m a social creature and I like social discourse. :slight_smile: The water wasn’t all that muddy to begin with, was it? I must brush up on my essay skills.

I’m not. Other people are a twat.

It’s the ‘latte before the storm’, here, and hotmail ain’t working not neither.

Ey, it’s named after Frya***.

'Nough said.

*** First I had here an image of a lady in a short white tunic. But then I found those were white supremacists wanting to take over the EU, have blond girls who wear those tunics and disallow them to have orgasms. Hmmmm… well… :astonished: http://frya.angelfire.com/ Man…they are mad as a mad h…

[quote=“TomHill”]Ok, my question is clearly not direct enough, so I have reworded the title, and I will give this another bash.

What is the purpose of the codeword ‘Friday,’ to talk about a range of a billion activities that have nothing whatsoever to do with going to work on the last day of the weekly work cycle? Friday is a work day. It is not a party, meeting friends, or whatever. It is a name for a day of the week. Why do people associate Friday with their freedom, when in fact Friday is not a day of freedom. If anything, people should be obsessed with Saturday, shouldn’t they?[/quote]
I agree. Yet for many of those squarish angles, Friday is a day to let off steam. Mainly because their brains are addled from mindless work related drivel.
Myself, I prefer Saturday. I enjoy waking up early, and letting the freak flag fly. Something to give Sunday Morning Coming down all the more Cazart!
I also like Tuesdays. My brain seems to work harder, perhaps in order to compensate for the day before, and the inevitable shock of being welcomed back unto the working week.

bob, you know that’s a Victorian litho, not a photo, don’t you?

[quote]Why do we attach personalized meanings and (often) false associations to words?

[/quote]
Why not?

After working in US couple years, I found out happy hour on Friday makes all wk of waiting deserved. Just get drunk and not worried abt hangover the next day!

:ohreally: He never said it was a photo. Why would he? It doesn’t look anything like a photo…

Hmmm… :ponder: Reminds me of: After working in Taiwan couple of weeks, I found out happy hour on everyday makes few hours of teaching/waiting deserved. Just get shit faced and not worried abt hangover the next day, because street food will suck the alcohol right out of you. Failing that, stand next to a stinky tofu vendor for a few minutes. Will sort you right out.

Rinse. Repeat. Result = Who gives a crap what day it is? Monday? Friday? Sunday? It’s all the same.
Same sh!t, different day. Afterall, in every country for 99.99999999% of people, who has a life where everyday is exciting and indistinguishable from the rest? People make up “special” days in their lives to break up the soul destroying monotony that is the average person’s dull existence. Oooo, It’s Wednesday! Little Weekend. Slide through Thursday and Oooo, It’s Friday! The weekend. Freedom at last. And what do most people do? Get sh!tfaced, lie in front of the idiot box, go walking in the woods, read a book or whatever makes them feel they are spending their time well and enjoyably. It’s all good, but it’s not exactly conquering the Persians, now is it?

Like parents that wish to believe their perfectly ordinary little sprog will somehow change the world, so each of us make up little days and activities to keep ourselves believing our lives have meaning. Sadly, for most of us, all we are are worker ants feeding the machine. But, at least, we have Friday to look forward to. :yay: Except the select few who bypass the waiting by getting tanked everyday. For them, everyday is Friday.

yeah…It’s Friday!!

I know why YOU look forward to Friday: SUPER 14! :discodance:

:ohreally: He never said it was a photo. Why would he? It doesn’t look anything like a photo…

[/quote]

Yeeeeees. You funny! :laughing:

[quote=“bismarck”]
Rinse. Repeat. Result = Who gives a crap what day it is? Monday? Friday? Sunday? It’s all the same.
Same sh!t, different day. Afterall, in every country for 99.99999999% of people, who has a life where everyday is exciting and indistinguishable from the rest? People make up “special” days in their lives to break up the soul destroying monotony that is the average person’s dull existence. Oooo, It’s Wednesday! Little Weekend. Slide through Thursday and Oooo, It’s Friday! The weekend. Freedom at last. And what do most people do? Get sh!tfaced, lie in front of the idiot box, go walking in the woods, read a book or whatever makes them feel they are spending their time well and enjoyably. It’s all good, but it’s not exactly conquering the Persians, now is it?

Like parents that wish to believe their perfectly ordinary little sprog will somehow change the world, so each of us make up little days and activities to keep ourselves believing our lives have meaning. Sadly, for most of us, all we are are worker ants feeding the machine. But, at least, we have Friday to look forward to. :yay: Except the select few who bypass the waiting by getting tanked everyday. For them, everyday is Friday.[/quote]

And from your other posts I though you were as cynical as GiT, but now I realise youre just tanked

Or did you copy this from the start of “Falling Down”?

I’m depressed - it’s Saturday already.

It’s Friday night here! Just listening to some DJ Yoda and Mr Scruff before I head out. “Fish fish fish fish, eating fish.”

I know why YOU look forward to Friday: SUPER 14! :discodance:[/quote]
Indeed. Outside of rugby season (December to mid-Feb), it all gets very droll. Still, we have christmas and New Years to tide us over during that period…

It’s Friday! No work till Monday.

A 12 year grave dig just to post a song, looks like you have no work today also :wink:

1 Like