Assuming 100% House Ownership from Taiwanese Partner

Hello,

Background: I’m an American who returns to Taiwan every 7 to 11 weeks on a 2-3 week rotational leave. I do not work in Taiwan and therefore have no ARC or Jien Bao Insurance card or other form of ID that ALL Taiwanese institutions are required to ask foreigners for when opening a bank account, applying for a mortgage, getting a cell phone, etc.

I love it here and consider Taiwan my home. My Taiwanese girlfriend and I purchased a house in her name and are in our first year of paying down a 20-year mortgage.

I’m looking for a solution that will allow me to buy outright and receive the title for the house (that’s probably the easy one).

I also need a solution that will allow me to put all related bills in my name so that I can continue functioning here on the island while my girlfriend is in the States for the next . . . many years. In other words, I’ll need to put a bank account, phone, electricity, water, taxes etc., bills in my name.

I understand that the laws are ever-changing (I lived and worked here for many years). My solution will probably entail creating a business or corporate entity here into whose name I can transfer everything. Please provide names and contact information of lawyers/organizations that might be able to help. Any information in terms of corporate capital investment requirements and related stipulations is most welcome. While I’ve a finite budget, for the purposes of this exercise, please assume that it is large so I can choose the most elegant, all-encompassing solution that will allow me to maintain a house and a peaceful, convenient life here in Hualien without depending on a Taiwanese spouse and her family.

Many Thanks and Kind Rgds.

This is pretty easy to answer (but perhaps difficult for you to put in practise?) You cannot do any of this without an ARC. No ARC, no phone/electricity/water.

See the Business & Money forum for information on company establishment. If you and your Taiwanese girlfriend are serious enough to buy a home together, aren’t you serious enough to get married? If so, you get yourself a JFRV (Joining Family Resident Visa) and your problems are solved. Setting up business in Taiwan is not a trivial excercise and requirements for turnover/exports of a proprietary Taiwanese company make it difficult to set up as a shell then forget about it.

Good luck!

[quote=“marcfree”]Hello,

Background: I’m an American who returns to Taiwan every 7 to 11 weeks on a 2-3 week rotational leave. I do not work in Taiwan and therefore have no ARC or Jien Bao Insurance card or other form of ID that ALL Taiwanese institutions are required to ask foreigners for when opening a bank account, applying for a mortgage, getting a cell phone, etc.

I love it here and consider Taiwan my home. My Taiwanese girlfriend and I purchased a house in her name and are in our first year of paying down a 20-year mortgage.

I’m looking for a solution that will allow me to buy outright and receive the title for the house (that’s probably the easy one).

I also need a solution that will allow me to put all related bills in my name so that I can continue functioning here on the island while my girlfriend is in the States for the next . . . many years. In other words, I’ll need to put a bank account, phone, electricity, water, taxes etc., bills in my name.

I understand that the laws are ever-changing (I lived and worked here for many years). My solution will probably entail creating a business or corporate entity here into whose name I can transfer everything. Please provide names and contact information of lawyers/organizations that might be able to help. Any information in terms of corporate capital investment requirements and related stipulations is most welcome. While I’ve a finite budget, for the purposes of this exercise, please assume that it is large so I can choose the most elegant, all-encompassing solution that will allow me to maintain a house and a peaceful, convenient life here in Hualian without depending on a Taiwanese spouse and her family.

Many Thanks and Kind Rgds.[/quote]