Asteroid armaggedon

Do you fear death?

• No
  • Yes

0 voters

To put your current problems into perspective, let me ask you: What would you do if you knew you only had less than eleven more years to live?

Consider your options because a large asteroid could hit earth with a force equal to 20 million Hiroshima atomic bombs. Earths’s potential date with armaggedon is March 21, 2014. Details here. The probability of a direct hit is one in 909,000. That is not high but much higher than the odds of winning the lottery.

Talk about a way to go, this is it!

If the probablity of a strike becomes more certain, how will you handle the approaching end of the world? Will you be ready to die? Will you suddenly get religion? Would you still work like a dog at a job you hate? Will you stay in Taiwan waiting for it to happen or go elsewhere?

Even if the odds are only one in ten, that still means nine times out of ten you’d be better off going about your daily life.

What do you mean in general, or as a direct result of an asteroid strike?

If generally, then I would have to say that I fear dying but not death.

If as a direct result of an asteroid impact, then no, I do not fear death, because it is, as you say, almost a one-in-a-million shot, and I never seem to beat the odds. :sunglasses:

The poll question was intended as a question about death in general, not necessarily as a result of an asteroid blast.

Nevertheless, at those odds of total devastation of the earth in around 10 years then I would bet that a large percentage of people would indeed dramatically change some parts of their lives to focus on what is most important to them: human relationships, nature, dealing with questions about an afterlife.

I think there would be fewer political debates, no more overtime at work, longer vacations, getting into nature as much as possible, more time with family and kids, and increased interest in religion. Many people would not want to waste a minute and strive to live life to the fullest. Of course, others would be depressed, give up all hope, not attempt anything and become total couch potatoes.

Thanks waytogo, you’ve inspired me to stop putting off that much-needed plastic surgery.

… And to get laid.

Maybe they could send Bruce Willis up there to save us.

Eat, drink, and be merry. For tomorrow…

I fear death in the insurance commercials, but not the death in the Bill and Ted movie. Or the one that looks like Brad Pitt. Or the one on South Park.

Things to do:

Stop saving for kid’s college fund.
Cash in retirement fund.
Cancel the last nine years of my 20-year subscription to the Dukes of Hazzard Fan Club Magazine.

Yes I fear Death…

And I would travel around the world, eat all the gourmet cusine, spend a lot of time with my family and friends, and do the things I wouldn’t do normally…which will be… bungee jumping and wind surfing :shock:

If I knew I only had one more year to live:

Bring on the beer and hookers!

Carpe diem, for you never know when you’ll go to deliver a pizza and come back with a bomb locked to your neck by nefarious bank robbers and perish in flames

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]Things to do:

Cancel the last nine years of my 20-year subscription to the Dukes of Hazzard Fan Club Magazine.[/quote]

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

You’re right Bossosonic, the Dukes will live forever!

Assteroids are no laughing matter, it can feel like armageddon down there.

Don’t mind Matthew, he was hit on the head by a falling rock as a kid.

So there’s a one in a million chance of something bad happening a long time in the future? And?

There are daily reports about the effects of global warming, ozone depletion, deforestation, overfishing, unprotected sex, smoking, blah blah blah. If people don’t take any notice of real, proven, avoidable dangers then why are they going to give a hoot about hypothetical possibilities?

The topic has no relation to the poll. And what does the question mean, precisely?

Do I have an active ‘wakes me up at night’ fear that one day I’m going to die? Or that I might die tomorrow due to the more than 1:1000000 likelihood of some stupid fuck driving his car into me? Answer = ‘no’.

Do I have a feeling that, given the choice, I don’t really want to die at any time yet, and it’s something I want to avoid, and if I was actually faced with it my natural instincts for self-preservation - which have served my forebears well - will kick in and cause me to try and escape from? Answer = ‘yes’, and anyone who doesn’t fear death will sooner or later find themselves standind in the middle of the road saying “Oh look! A car heading directly for me. I’m going to die if I don’t move. How interesting.”

Now ask if someone fears being old, and you might get a more interesting answer.

Which extension did you finally decide on? The 4 inch or 6 inch? :shock:

Which extension did you finally decide on? The 4 inch or 6 inch? :shock:[/quote]

Tye, I hope you’re talking about my nose, of course (in fact, I’m getting just an extra inch added). If I wanted some thunder for down under, I’d go for the foot long.

Sounds like a bowel movement.

It doesn’t really matter now, it’s been cancelled

msnbc.com/news/960340.asp?0cv=TB10&cp1=1