Astrology

I get so tired of people asking me what my star sign is. It is something that i consider to be utterly irrelevant and having no bearing on my life. Aparently this attitude is common amongst us Virgoes. :unamused:

Can anyone please explain the ā€˜scienceā€™ behind this belief? How exactly do the relative movements of lumps of rock and quadzillion-tonne balls of super-hot thermonuclear reactions affect the personality of people? What difference does it make exactly when and where you were born? Or can I safely stick with Jim Morrisonā€™s ā€œbunch of bullshitā€ theory?

This post has been prompted by reading that an astrologer is trying to sue NASA for US$300,000,000 for damages following yesterdayā€™s Deep Impact thingy.

It doesnā€™t! I had a friend who was into it and he gave me the short story of it with a book.
I concluded that youā€™d have to have some lack of self respect and responsibility level to truly believe that rocks can influence your life in anyway whatsoever. Youā€™d, somehow, have to believe that YOU canā€™t cause much in your life and it all depends on those rocks in the sky and their relationship to each other.
Basically youā€™d have to believe that you ARE a rock!!
Hmm! No, thank you very much, Iā€™ll take my successes and my failures on ME and not rocks.:slight_smile:

Copied from a post I made ages ago, showing how astrology is a load of bollocks:

See what constellation the sun is in when you were were born from the list below:

Pisces 12 Mar to 18 Apr
Aries 19 Apr to 13 May
Taurus 14 May to 19 Jun
Gemini 20 Jun to 20 Jul
Cancer 21 Jul to 9 Aug
Leo 10 Aug to 15 Sep
Virgo 16 Sep to 30 Oct
Libra 31 Oct to 22 Nov
Scorpius 23 Nov to 29 Nov
Ophiuchus 30 Nov to 17 Dec
Sagittarius 18 Dec to 18 Jan
Capricorn 19 Jan to 15 Feb
Aquarius 16 Feb to 11 Mar

If you want to really accurate, you can see where the planets were, which can be in one of the following constellations:

Pisces, Pegasus, Cetus, Aries, Eridanus, Taurus, Perseus, Orion, Auriga, Gemini, Canis Minor, Cancer, Hydra, Leo, Leo Minor, Coma Berenices, Sextans, Virgo, Crater, Corvus, Bootes, Libra, Serpens, Scorpius, Ophiuchus, Sagittarius, Scutum, Capricornus, Aquarius.

How accurate is astrology again if they canā€™t even get the number of constellations right ?

Loretta, today the moon is in your favor. You could meet someone special or discover parts of your body you didnā€™t know existed. You should not try to pinch or rubb excessively.

How about ā€œAstromosaā€? Iā€™ll be the guru. :beatnik:

This is the twenty-first century, a time when intelligent, educated people cannot possibly believe that an assortment of objects of vast proportions, operating through some mysterious causal agency across incomprehensibly great distances, determine their personality traits.

Instead, intelligent, educated people nowadays must believe that infinitessimally small objects inside their cells operate through some mysterious causal agency to determine their personality traits.

Anyway Iā€™m a Virgo, and Virgos tend not to believe in astrology.

This is the twenty-first century, a time when intelligent, educated people cannot possibly believe that an assortment of objects of vast proportions, operating through some mysterious causal agency across incomprehensibly great distances, determine their personality traits.

Instead, intelligent, educated people nowadays must believe that infinitessimally small objects inside their cells operate through some mysterious causal agency to determine their personality traits.

Anyway Iā€™m a Virgo, and Virgos tend not to believe in astrology.[/quote]

Or instead, intelligent, educated people nowadays believe infinitely old beings with infinite powers operate at incomprehensible distances through infinitely controllable but utterly unidentifiable methods to control their lives.

Or instead, intelligent, educated people nowadays believe an infinitely powerful being with uncomprehensible knowledge operates in unexplainable ways to lay out the future and predetermine every single event, down to the shifting of a pebble of sand on a beach, that has ever happened, but has the character flaw of favourtism for those who abide by his will.

But my favorite of all, a system that helps determine when any event in your life should be done, by finding an auspicous day, cannot figure out if you were born in January (gregorian), what animal actually defines your very soul and being, allowing you to switch hit, in a manner, irrevocably altering the fabric of the universe and the continuity of time with a single thought. :rainbow: Yeah babyā€¦

Anyway Iā€™m a Virgo, and Virgos tend not to believe in astrology.[/quote]

Or instead, intelligent, educated people nowadays believe infinitely old beings with infinite powers operate at incomprehensible distances through infinitely controllable but utterly unidentifiable methods to control their lives.

Or instead, intelligent, educated people nowadays believe an infinitely powerful being with uncomprehensible knowledge operates in unexplainable ways to lay out the future and predetermine every single event, down to the shifting of a pebble of sand on a beach, that has ever happened, but has the character flaw of favourtism for those who abide by his will.

But my favorite of all, a system that helps determine when any event in your life should be done, by finding an auspicous day, cannot figure out if you were born in January (gregorian), what animal actually defines your very soul and being, allowing you to switch hit, in a manner, irrevocably altering the fabric of the universe and the continuity of time with a single thought. :rainbow: Yeah babyā€¦[/quote]
Waoo, that was really deep! :wink:

For astrology to be useful, there does not need to be a causal link from planets to personalities. There only needs to be some correspondence. Correspondence may be discovered simply by observing. There is no need to accept or reject the whole of astrology. Just take it on a case by case basis. (Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.) But unlike a stopped clock, astrology may be useful when checked for veracity by examining oneā€™s life and personality, or when trying to understand others.

Care to explain what you mean by that? Are you saying that because astrology is occasionally right, like a stopped clock is, we chould always use it to tell the time with? Either itā€™s reliable, or itā€™s no bloody use.

Astrology is good for something, as Robert Heinlein said

OOC

Iā€™m a Scorpio, and I basically fit the desciption on the side of those cups I see in bookstoresā€¦

go figureā€¦

But, being a Scorpio, I donā€™t give a shit.

Loretta,

You donā€™t have to worry about stars in generalā€¦just worry about where Horus resides in the night skyā€¦thatā€™s the only one that can change your life. :wink:

Thank god Iā€™m not the only Virgo hereā€¦ If you belive in Astrology then the universe revolves around the earth, the planet is flat, and stonehenge needs to be visited.

Firstly is starts out likeā€¦ Whatā€™s your star sign? Virgo
What year were you born? 1960ā€¦ Year of the RAT
Whatā€™s your blood type AB+

Then I get a whole barrage of what my selfish, smart, wealthy, mean spirited traits are because of the combination of the threeā€¦ sheesh :loco: :loco:

Thank god Iā€™m not the only Virgo hereā€¦ If you belive in Astrology then the universe revolves around the earth, the planet is flat, and stonehenge needs to be visited.

Firstly is starts out likeā€¦ Whatā€™s your star sign? Virgo
What year were you born? 1960ā€¦ Year of the RAT
Whatā€™s your blood type AB+

Then I get a whole barrage of what my selfish, smart, wealthy, mean spirited traits are because of the combination of the threeā€¦ sheesh :loco: :loco:[/quote]
:notworthy: :notworthy:

People almost fall over and die when I answer ā€œI havenā€™t the foggiestā€ to the ā€œWhatā€™s your blood type?ā€ question, like I had just said Hu Jintao and I are married or some such unimaginable thingā€¦