ASUS eee PC 701

Truant, TMK Asus isn’t shipping OE XP yet, so the XP platform you saw was a user installed OS. The OE XP is supposed to be optimized for the eee.

Yeah… so what about the xp model I saw (and tried) in the Fnac Store. What about the one the guy tried to sell me!

Kenneth

I’m going to start an eee blog… hehehe! Just want to see if blogging can be really mobile!

Kenneth

BTW is Hinet sucky today or what? I’m having sucky download times, poor connectivity and slow upload times… Streaming is impossible at the moment, too clippy.

Kenneth

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Yeah… so what about the xp model I saw (and tried) in the Fnac Store. What about the one the guy tried to sell me!

Kenneth[/quote]

Can you say “chabudo XP”? Look on the ASUS site. ASUS does not currently offer XP loaded on the eee 701.

asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24 … odelmenu=2

tw.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24& … odelmenu=2

“Windows XP compatible” or 硬體相容於Windows XP /= OE XP

Just walked past a tkec Guting store and they have two models on sale this weekend (17-19 Nov)
The 4G - 512MB 3.5 hours battery life NT11068 - (White only)
The 4G Surf - 512MB 2.8 hours battery life NT9999 - (Available in both Black & White).

ie. identical except for the slightly shorter battery life in the Surf.
Both running on Linux and currently set up in Chinese.

welcome to flob, JCL.
The price diff sounds like 4 cell vs. 6 cell batteries.

A comparison of SSD vs. HDD:
gottabemobile.com/GBMInkShow … VsHDD.aspx

Thanks for the welcome,
Actually the spec sheet I have says they are both 4 cell batteries, but the longer lasting one (4G) has 5200 mAh vs 4400 mAh (4G Surf).
Makes little sense to me, but that’s what it says.
The full range of variations on the spec sheet I have is as follows.

Hard Drive - DDR Memory - Battery Life
8G - 1GB - 3.5 hours
4G - 512MB - 3.5 hours
4G Surf - 512MB - 2.8 hours
2G - 256MB - 2.8 hours

All the other fetures are the same.
Looks like only the middle 2 are currently available

And here’s some information about eee accessories including a 6 cell battery:
jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2007/10/a … ee-pc.html[/url]

Some instructions on installing Mac OS 10.5 can be found here.

The eee gorilla. See it grow. 20% of worldwide PC sales by 2010?

From Digitimes

Q: Do you think the Eee PC has a chance to account for 20% of the total worldwide PC shipments in 2010?

(Shih): We should be able to calculate this after a month or two of sales, but I think the chance of surpassing 20% in 2010 is very high because there will be further products in the future. Traditional PCs are too powerful, no matter in the home or office, we are seeing quad-core rising with octo-core coming in the near future, and the more cores in a CPU the more memory the system needs. Is all this really necessary? With the Eee PC we decided to go back to basics, to bring the focus to just functions and reasonable price levels.

What I think the eeePC is doing is making us think about what we actually use our PCs for.

It’s all very well having a notebook with high end graphics, dual layer DVD writer etc, but I really can’t think of the last time I used the full potential of those features on a regular basis, instead I jump over to the desktop for that stuff.

If I’m really honest about it, our notebook gets used for surfing the web while watching TV, and bit of Avi movie watching when traveling about 95% of the time. Sure the other features do get used now and then, but the 10-12,000nt price tag of the eeePC is making me think differently. I certainly don’t play games or burn DVDs when I’m on a wifi in a cafe.

I’m pretty surprised that the battery life isn’t amazing considering the screen is tiny, and there are no HDDs to run. I would have thought times closer to 10hrs would really kick off the eeePC, especially on long flights etc. 3hrs seems pretty lame if you think about it.

[quote=“Truant”]What I think the eeePC is doing is making us think about what we actually use our PCs for.

It’s all very well having a notebook with high end graphics, dual layer DVD writer etc, but I really can’t think of the last time I used the full potential of those features on a regular basis, instead I jump over to the desktop for that stuff.

If I’m really honest about it, our notebook gets used for surfing the web while watching TV, and bit of Avi movie watching when traveling about 95% of the time. Sure the other features do get used now and then, but the 10-12,000nt price tag of the eeePC is making me think differently. I certainly don’t play games or burn DVDs when I’m on a wifi in a cafe.

I’m pretty surprised that the battery life isn’t amazing considering the screen is tiny, and there are no HDDs to run. I would have thought times closer to 10hrs would really kick off the eeePC, especially on long flights etc. 3hrs seems pretty lame if you think about it.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

Regarding the pitiful battery life I think they downsized the battery to keep the weight at a minimum. It would really rock if it went for 10 hours.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

My Mandarin reading still has a long way to go - so it seemed foolish of me to go ahead and get my eee PC in Chinese. I had very little time on my last trip back to TP. Now that I’ve switched it to English (thanks to you) I’ve actually started trying out all the other apps (it took me a week to figure out that Thunderbird was indeed already installed as I had read online - it’s called “Email” inthe launcher). I’ve even re-discovered computer games (arcade style). Ok, maybe that’s not a good thing for me :wink:

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

My Mandarin reading still has a long way to go - so it seemed foolish of me to go ahead and get my eee PC in Chinese. I had very little time on my last trip back to TP. Now that I’ve switched it to English (thanks to you) I’ve actually started trying out all the other apps (it took me a week to figure out that Thunderbird was indeed already installed as I had read online - it’s called “Email” inthe launcher). I’ve even re-discovered computer games (arcade style). Ok, maybe that’s not a good thing for me :wink:[/quote]

Gus, are you still happy with it? It looks very tempting but I’m concerned that they will follow the Apple business model and in two months time they will announce a new model with much more memory.

You can expect a new model every 6 months, almost seasonal. In Dec. will be the 4GB model with XP or Linux. In early 2008, an 8 GB model. Then a desktop eee, and so on.

Tuning XP on eee

This is what users want in the second, vacant mini-PCIe slot.

Beware: The Surf model (without the camera) also lacks the second mini-PCIe slot. The 4G has the second mini-PCIe slot (so the 8G model should also).

I have had bad experience with Nationwide. I wouldn’t purchase anything from them again. However, I saw them at FNAC and you can try them out first. They have a display at the TienMu Mitsukoshi FNAC with one running windows and one running LINUX. Also they have a 10% off coupon sale now if you buy quickly.

I had an excellent experience with Nationwide. A mate of mine from Australia decided to buy one of these. I emailed Nationwide on Thursday night with this:

[quote]A friend of mine is visiting from Australia, leaving on Sunday, and between now and then wants to purchase an Asus Eeepc. Since you have a great reputation on Forumosa, and since you’ve advertised your availability of the Eeepc, I was wondering if you would be able to help out.

He would want an English installation of Xandros, with Open Office, and the region set to Australia/Oceania. Any additional settings you could recommend would be appreciated. In addition, what would an additional 4GB SD card cost?

We’re in Neihu, and can visit your store tomorrow or on Saturday if necessary. Otherwise, would it be possible to have it sent by courier to my address in Neihu?[/quote]

The reply:

[quote]As for the eee PC, I deliver all systems personally and try to go over a few key point with my customers before leaving with their money and their trust. I also charge and condition the battery once for all the portable systems I sell as people tend to forget to themselves and unknowingly do harm to the battery and mainboard.

All I need is a time and address, and I’ll be at your door with eee PC in hand.[/quote]

Nam sent that at 12:10am Friday morning. We contacted each other on Friday afternoon, and he came around in person with the Eeepc. He actually drove over in his car with the goods, no courier or delivery charge required.

Nam spent just over an hour putting the device through its paces and showing my friend everything he needed to know. He had already configured it for Oceania, and set up the most useful configuration settings. Excellent service, and an excellent price.

Seems Eeepcs are selling well in the US and A now. One school just bought a THOUSAND of them:

fresnobee.com/263/v-printerf … 87043.html