Asus motherboards defective

Turned on the PC in the new year. Worked a bit and then black screen. Refusing to start again. CPU fan on, power light on motherboard on. All components removed, problem persists (has on board VGA card).

Wife called Asus service and talked techno babble and immediately they said the BIOS chip is broken and we shall send it in to repair.

On the internet I found pages with fustrated users having the same problem (back home Germany) but getting the motherboard back in the same condition as they had sent it and a sticker saying “nothing wrong”. So do not let them fool ya if you should have the same problem.

My wife said they must know about the defective BIOS chip on many boards if they give the answer so quickly…

My mama board is p4r800-vm

BobWithoutHisBelovedPC

I have a similar (if not the same) motherboard. I also had a similar problem. Seemed completely dead, but managed to get it working by removing the BIOS battery (big watch battery on the motherboard, for those who don’t know), leaving it for a half hour before putting back in, and then trying again. On reboot, I went straight into the BIOS and reset defaults.

ASUS has a very good reputation. Here in Taiwan, they probably also have a repair center store not far from your house. Is it still under warranty?

I only tried the BIOS battery removal for 15 minutes and hit had no effect. Maybe too short? OK, we take it by taxi to Asus Saturday, they seem very cooperative here in Taiwan. Takes 3-5 days they say and they think it is a BIOS chip problem.

Should be still warranty.

[quote=“bob_honest”]I only tried the BIOS battery removal for 15 minutes and hit had no effect. Maybe too short? OK, we take it by taxi to Asus Saturday, they seem very cooperative here in Taiwan. Takes 3-5 days they say and they think it is a BIOS chip problem.

Should be still warranty.[/quote]

Well, hey, if they’re gonna fix it for free, superb.

The thing about removing the BIOS battery is that sometimes there is still enough charge on the circuit itself to keep the memory alive for a bit. Sometimes there is actually a little jumper that will make sure any of this is discharged. If you have the manual, then you will see it labelled “BIOS reset” or something like that.

BUT!.. like I say, if ASUS are gonna fix it for free… (plus if it is the chip, then that needs to be taken care of).