ATM fraud?

We just went to the Cathay branch on Datong Road in Xizhi and there was he again. I saw him already couple times working on two ATM at the same time. He was entering a 4 digit code like 9999 or 0000, not sure about that, and he got a 100 note out. Then he pressed the continue button, enterd the same number again and got another 100 out. Same on the other machine. He had already like 50 notes there and it took him around 5 seconds each to get another one. Then another customer and asked if he could youse the ATM and the guy just canceled the transaction. There was no card coming out!

Ever seen that before? Well my gf decided to ask in the near by police station and of course they didn’t care at all. They said its a voucher code or something but you need a card for it and code is unique. We told them there was no card inside and the code was 9999 or 0000. They just said there are gong to check but didn’t write down any details, so nothing is going to happen anyways…

Anyways is that a new way of fraud? This guy comes only after bank closes :astonished:

Ok. So you can walk up to an ATM machine press 9999 or 0000 and out pops NT$100. :ponder:

Do you really think it’s that easy?

[quote=“Steviebike”]Ok. So you can walk up to an ATM machine press 9999 or 0000 and out pops NT$100. :ponder:

Do you really think it’s that easy?[/quote]

I just tried it and it worked :astonished: . Obviously I’ll return the money first thing tomorrow am and explain what happened. I can rest assured that none of you chaps will rush down 7-11 and try to take advantage of this anomaly.

[quote=“tomthorne”][quote=“Steviebike”]Ok. So you can walk up to an ATM machine press 9999 or 0000 and out pops NT$100. :ponder:

I just tried it and it worked :astonished: . Obviously I’ll return the money first thing tomorrow am and explain what happened. I can rest assured that none of you chaps will rush down 7-11 and try to take advantage of this anomaly.[/quote]

You can’t be serious!

[quote=“Steviebike”]Ok. So you can walk up to an ATM machine press 9999 or 0000 and out pops NT$100. :ponder:

Yeah smart ass

Man that forum really starts to suck…

[quote=“milkalex”][quote=“Steviebike”]Ok. So you can walk up to an ATM machine press 9999 or 0000 and out pops NT$100. :ponder:

Yeah smart ass

Man that forum really starts to suck…[/quote]

I’m sorry you think I’m being a smart arse but I do find it incredulous that something like this can happen. Are banks that stupid? It just reeks of urban myth to me. Can you really be sure the guy was doing what you thought he was doing?

Don’t follow?

Last week I went to an ATM, put in my card, and entered 1,000,000. Out came a million…

…rupiah.

As a youngster, I was into code-breaking. One time, a quarter of a century ago, I looked at a photocopier, which had entry codes so each user could be charged by the month, and I thought to myself: “What happens when the photocopier repairman needs to test it? There must either be one fixed code for all machines of this model that the repairman uses, or he must have a key, or there’s a variable code based on the machine, presumably based on its serial number.” Opening the machine up, I could not find a keyhole, so I proceeded to test the latter hypothesis, starting with the last three or four digits of the #, and adding digits one by one. I hit the jackpot within mere seconds, at four or five digits (I can’t recall which). It was ridiculously easy. I wasn’t interested in mass, free copies – just in finding the flaw in the system.

It’s entirely possible that some ATM designers have been as stupid as the designers of that photocopier.

Im sure they have a camera and they will know the money is missing and they will check the cam. Was the guy wearing a mask? Otherwise his face is right there on camera.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]As a youngster, I was into code-breaking. One time, a quarter of a century ago, I looked at a photocopier, which had entry codes so each user could be charged by the month, and I thought to myself: “What happens when the photocopier repairman needs to test it? There must either be one fixed code for all machines of this model that the repairman uses, or he must have a key, or there’s a variable code based on the machine, presumably based on its serial number.” Opening the machine up, I could not find a keyhole, so I proceeded to test the latter hypothesis, starting with the last three or four digits of the #, and adding digits one by one. I hit the jackpot within mere seconds, at four or five digits (I can’t recall which). It was ridiculously easy. I wasn’t interested in mass, free copies – just in finding the flaw in the system.

It’s entirely possible that some ATM designers have been as stupid as the designers of that photocopier.[/quote]

Photocopiers and ATM’s are very different! I used to use CLC4040’s with a Fiery rip. The code was always Fiery.1 – easy (although this won’t get you free copies). ATM engineers don’t work from the front of the machine, they either do it offsite (diagnostic software) or work from the back of the machine. You can press as many numbers on the keypad you like without a card, nothing will happen. While I can’t explain what the person the OP saw I’m dam sure you can’t get money out of a cash machine by simply pressing four keys in a simple combination to get money out!!

A card is needed, which has a magnetic strip on the back which contains three rows of data. Your actual pin is only an encryption code to an algorithm that gives you access to your account. So why create something so sophisticated just to be able to break it with a simple 0000 code?

There are some cons people might run, the guy might be trying to fool people.

Beware of peeker!

Criminals may use English interface to trick you.

Instead of the police, call Apple Daily, They’ll be delighted. Or TVBS/Formosa News/ETTV, etc. These people take news from YouTube, if you can make avideo of it, even better -but not one where atoga “swindles” bank of 100nt! Mmm, better no video, but warn them of what you’ve seen. You’d get more action from the cops if it’s been on the news.

BTW, what did the bank people said again?

I think there is more truth in this, than any other explanation.

mydigitallife.info/atm-hacki … -password/ Amazing what google finds.

Yep, sure is;
39online.com/news/local/kiah … 9355.story

Taiwanese kindergarten kids have better English than the writer of that abominable article. :astonished:

Taiwanese kindergarten kids have better English than the writer of that abominable article. :astonished:[/quote]

If you think the article is bad, read the comments. All I have to say is 419.

To succinctly resolve this problem, I posit that one and all should just leave a large packet of cash behind the loo at the Seven on Zhong-Shan Road.
No questions asked, and none taken,
:whistle: