Attack of the Pandas

… perhaps the next epissode will be titled Revenge of the Shui-bian.

The LA Times has a more Californian-take on the whole panda story. It covers the facts without quite the same seriousness that some other press sources have brought to the issue.

Attack of the Pandas
Will Taiwan’s wary, pro-independence government succumb to a pair of China’s most adorable ambassadors? History says yes.
By Mark Magnier, Times Staff Writer
March 21, 2006

WOLONG NATURE RESERVE, China

[quote]“Pandas are cute, but they are meant to destroy Taiwan’s psychological defenses.” [/quote] :slight_smile:

That just cracks me up.

I was a stauch TI supporter. I would always make fun of WSR in Minnan. Then I saw the panda, now I fully support unification. I don’t know what I was thinking back then.

[quote]
Chen, who seems more comfortable staring down missiles than dealing with “acts of kindness,” has often waffled, making him appear flat-footed and churlish at times. [/quote]

This piece is outrageously biased (as is most of the U.S. media).

Let’s draw the analogy once again, shall we?

I point a gun at your head and hand you flowers, while still holding that gun to your head.

Yeah. That Chen – what a “churlish” unreasonable guy!!

Funny they don’t mention the “churlish” 800+ and growing missile count and the “churlish” ASL in this piece. Nah! Why mention those pesky details. It would get in the way of having to deal with the serious facts involved with the cross-straights situation. Might as well play China’s game and laugh at the big meanie Chen Shui-bian.

It’s time for the Chen government to finally reject this insult. It’s time to put an end to this.

You planning on assassinating CSB or the pandas. :laughing:

Let’s go over the scenario:

• man holds gun to your head,
  • man gives you flowers.
  • you throw flowers in man’s face.

You have a problem with being called “churlish” for this action. Would the term “suicidal” or “ill-advised” be more appropriate?

[quote=“cctang”]Let’s go over the scenario:

• man holds gun to your head,
  • man gives you flowers.
  • you throw flowers in man’s face.

You have a problem with being called “churlish” for this action. Would the term “suicidal” or “ill-advised” be more appropriate?[/quote]

So, your now saying that the rejection of the Pandas is going to mean suicide for Taiwan? :loco:

And I don’t think Chen is going to throw them in the face of the PRC. A simple polite rejection will suffice. It is the PRC who have set themselves up for losing face. They have noone to blame but themselves.

The world doesn’t think so… lol
This article is proof. :smiley:

This article is proof. :smiley:[/quote]

You mean – the U.S. media. But I was talking about “reality”.

Let’s see…

• A one-month long “name the Panda contest”.
  • 1000’s of propaganda articles on how the Pandas eat, shit and sleep.
  • hype and more hype

And then…the hangover.

But…but…they’re so cute!

This article is proof. :smiley:[/quote]

You mean – the U.S. media. But I was talking about “reality”.

Let’s see…

• A one-month long “name the Panda contest”.
  • 1000’s of propaganda articles on how the Pandas eat, shit and sleep.
  • hype and more hype

And then…the hangover.

But…but…they’re so cute![/quote]

“Face” is an issue of PR. The media is the reality about “face.” I don’t know what other (virtual) reality you are envisioning. It’s not like the PRC must get rid of these two pandas; Tuan Tuan and Yuan Yuan aren’t going to suddenly pipe up by reciting CSB quotes from the Little Green Book to embarrass Hu Jintao. lol

[quote]“The pandas are a trick, just like the Trojan horse,” said lawmaker Huang Shi-cho of the Taiwan Solidarity Union party. “Pandas are cute, but they are meant to destroy Taiwan’s psychological defenses.”

Unfortunately for the Chen camp, most Taiwanese appear happy to have their psychological defenses destroyed by an animal that has melted hearts for centuries. One poll found that more than 70% are in favor of accepting the gift.[/quote]

Are you quoting this because popular opinion is what really matters? Maybe we should have a referendum. Make it binding.

[quote=“ScottSommers”]
Are you quoting this because popular opinion is what really matters? Maybe we should have a referendum. Make it binding.[/quote]
“Popular opinion matters” does not imply “popular opinion is the only thing that matters.” That’s probably the reason why no society on this planet, no matter how democratic they might claim to be, uses a simple referendum to determine critical, controversial issues.

[quote=“STOP_Ma”][quote]
Chen, who seems more comfortable staring down missiles than dealing with “acts of kindness,” has often waffled, making him appear flat-footed and churlish at times. [/quote]

This piece is outrageously biased (as is most of the U.S. media).

Let’s draw the analogy once again, shall we?

I point a gun at your head and hand you flowers, while still holding that gun to your head.

Yeah. That Chen – what a “churlish” unreasonable guy!!

Funny they don’t mention the “churlish” 800+ and growing missile count and the “churlish” ASL in this piece. Nah! Why mention those pesky details. It would get in the way of having to deal with the serious facts involved with the cross-straights situation. Might as well play China’s game and laugh at the big meanie Chen Shui-bian.

It’s time for the Chen government to finally reject this insult. It’s time to put an end to this.[/quote]
The reprt is basically pointing out the inescapable fact that Chen’s an inefficient and incompetent prick. Which he totally is. Chinese missiles or no Chinese missiles, he’d STILL be an inefficient incompetent prick.

Did you even read the article, Sandman?

How the hell do you come up with that being the thesis of this pro-China candy coated write-up?

[quote=“STOP_Ma”]Did you even read the article, Sandman?

How the hell do you come up with that being the thesis of this pro-China candy coated write-up?[/quote]
Sorry, I meant to write “this quote” rather than “this report.” Of course I didn’t read the article. I have far better things to do than read about what people think about a bunch of halfwits attempting to play “government and opposition.” They’re a worthless bunch of ignorant twats on both sides. No-one that matters really gives much of a fuck what they do – they’re THAT unimportant. Light entertainment suitable for lighthearted baiting and ridicule but not a lot else.

Sandman, your contributions truly inspire fascinating debates.

May I ask you a question?

Why are you even in a political forum?

[quote=“cctang”][quote=“ScottSommers”]
Are you quoting this because popular opinion is what really matters? Maybe we should have a referendum. Make it binding.[/quote]
“Popular opinion matters” does not imply “popular opinion is the only thing that matters.” That’s probably the reason why no society on this planet, no matter how democratic they might claim to be, uses a simple referendum to determine critical, controversial issues.[/quote]

Of course I don’t think that popular opinion is the only important thing. I suspect the DPP don’t, as well. They don’t want to run government by referendum. Only a place for madmen - or California – would suggest such a system. They just want referendum available for selected topics.

Excuse me for confusing your argument with democracy. I should have known better.

[quote=“STOP_Ma”]Sandman, your contributions truly inspire fascinating debates.

Why are you even in a political forum?[/quote]
I already answered that one. :laughing:

Plus, who DOESN’T stop to rubberneck at a trainwreck? Hey, you want people to stop laughing at Taiwan’s political nursery school and the infantile shenanigans of its diaper-wearing politicians? Take action! Find yourself some politicos with at least a semblance of brains.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“STOP_Ma”]Sandman, your contributions truly inspire fascinating debates.

Why are you even in a political forum?[/quote]
I already answered that one. :laughing:

Yeah. I’ve noticed. To each his own. :sunglasses:

And are my contributions really any worse than those of your good self and your oppoes? “Green GOOD! Blue BAD!” “No, blue GOOD! Green BAAAAD!” is hardly what’s considered by thinking people to be debate. :laughing: If you people were to raise your game a bit, you might be taken a bit more seriously. As it stands, there’s pages and pages all over the TP forum of NOTHING but “Green GOOD! Blue BAD!” “No, blue GOOD! Green BAAAAD!”
Virtually every topic IN the TP forum degenerates into that in about six posts or so.
No wonder people laugh and point. It’s pathetic.

[quote=“sandman”]And are my contributions really any worse than those of your good self and your oppoes? “Green GOOD! Blue BAD!” “No, blue GOOD! Green BAAAAD!” is hardly what’s considered by thinking people to be debate. :laughing: If you people were to raise your game a bit, you might be taken a bit more seriously. As it stands, there’s pages and pages all over the TP forum of NOTHING but “Green GOOD! Blue BAD!” “No, blue GOOD! Green BAAAAD!”
Virtually every topic IN the TP forum degenerates into that in about six posts or so.
No wonder people laugh and point. It’s pathetic.[/quote]

Hey! Such is the nature of politics. Granted, in Taiwan, things are definitely more polarized – that’s for sure.

Nonetheless, if you believe the minutia of the debate here is so simplified – why not find another forum?