Attempt Visitor Visa or just do a Visa reset?

Hey guys,

I’m an American that has been in Taiwan about 50 days now(did a visa reset about 20 days ago) and my 2nd 30 day period is coming up.

I’m trying to decide whether to go for a visa run and attempt to get a visitor visa, or if I should go for the easy, but expensive, Visa reset.

Why I should get the isa
-If I got a visitor visa i would probably want to get a 60 day multiple entry if possible, but i dont know how easy that is to get.
-I have more than $2000 in my bank account.
-a $150 visa fee for 60 days is cheaper than a $400 flight to reset my visa at the 30 day mark

Why it might be a pain in the ass
-I am not a Chinese student currently, nor do I have a great interest in becoming one right now.
-I am trying to stay in taiwan long term – I dont know what excuse i could come up with besides booking an electronic itinerary, for only staying for 60 days at a time.
-I don’t have a job in another country.
-Visa processing might take a day or two, which would be an inconvenience and more expense.

Feedback and advice appreciated. If i have a good chance to get a multiple entry 60 day, or if the non-extendable 60 is very easy to get, i might just go for those.

multiple tourist visa is hard to get in HongKong I am told. Woudl have to get that in the USA they say.

Soon it may be that 90 days visa free will be in force for US citizens . When the USA grants Taiwanese the same.

Its coming soon.

Maybe before the end of 2011.

this way u just make 4 trips out of taiwan a year. NOt so much a hard ship then.

[quote=“tommy525”]multiple tourist visa is hard to get in HongKong I am told. Woudl have to get that in the USA they say.

Soon it may be that 90 days visa free will be in force for US citizens . When the USA grants Taiwanese the same.

Its coming soon.

Maybe before the end of 2011.

this way u just make 4 trips out of Taiwan a year. NOt so much a hard ship then.[/quote]

multiple entry tourist visa is not hard to get in Hong Kong (only Manila AFAIK). the hard part is getting one for longer than 6 months. When I got mine in May they really didn’t care what I was doing as long as I had a bank account statement. IIRC correctly they didn’t even look at my flight info or looked for 5 seconds and gave it back.

I would definitely get the multiple entry tourist visa even if it’s only good for 6 months. It can be a PITA to setup a visa run every 30 days. But I’m looking forward to the 90 day visa free even though I currently have an ARC.

looking forward to the 90 day visa free

argh… too late.
Booked the 30 day thing.

Does anyone ever do this long term? Just take a “vacation” every 30 days? I might have to keep this up until the 90 day visa comes around, if it does.