Attempted arrest for "stealing" my own car!

On Tuesday 9/16 I drove to work, managed to find a parking spot, and locked my keys in the car. Grrr! I managed to prevent the passenger window behind the driver’s seat from closing completely, but ALAS, my arm couldn’t fit through far enough so I could reach and pull up the door thingy. I found a longish branch, poked it through and hooked closer my old umbrella. I broke off one of the wire ribs, and tried to break into my car by lifting the door handle and pushing the wire in so it could push up the door thingy. PLease note that I did all of this in broad day light, with my bags lying in the road next to me. Igave up the struggle and ran to my school around the corner to find someone with thin arms.

As I got to the gate I found myself surrounded by 3 scooter cops. They climbed into my face, shouting and gesticulating wildly at the same time. I managed to hear “thief” and “car” in the chaos. The next moment all the admin staff from my school, incl. my employer, came running out, adding their voices to the cacophony. Wow! Way bad PR this!

One of the girls told the cops I didn’t have a car! She thought I had a scooter! Luckily, I had my car papers with, and gave them to the biggest, surliest of the 3 cops. Since I have a proper Chinese name, and not a made up one which foreigners get based on their surnames, the cops didn’t believe me. With a flick of her wrist my boss send a minnion running for all my paperwork. This cleared up the situation, and Big Guy said," Misunderstan, ok? Misunderstan." It was plain to see they were scared I was going to complain about their “false arrest”. But I just laughed, and said “No, sweat.”

My wife is just a little upset that they didn’t pin me down and slap some handcuffs on - kinky woman!

Anybody else with a cool story about their run-ins with the fuzz?

[quote=“daihatsu”]On Tuesday 9/16 I drove to work, managed to find a parking spot, and locked my keys in the car. Grrr! I managed to prevent the passenger window behind the driver’s seat from closing completely, but ALAS, my arm couldn’t fit through far enough so I could reach and pull up the door thingy. I found a longish branch, poked it through and hooked closer my old umbrella. I broke off one of the wire ribs, and tried to break into my car by lifting the door handle and pushing the wire in so it could push up the door thingy. PLease note that I did all of this in broad day light, with my bags lying in the road next to me. Igave up the struggle and ran to my school around the corner to find someone with thin arms.

As I got to the gate I found myself surrounded by 3 scooter cops. They climbed into my face, shouting and gesticulating wildly at the same time. I managed to hear “thief” and “car” in the chaos. The next moment all the admin staff from my school, incl. my employer, came running out, adding their voices to the cacophony. Wow! Way bad PR this!

One of the girls told the cops I didn’t have a car! She thought I had a scooter! Luckily, I had my car papers with, and gave them to the biggest, surliest of the 3 cops. Since I have a proper Chinese name, and not a made up one which foreigners get based on their surnames, the cops didn’t believe me. With a flick of her wrist my boss send a minnion running for all my paperwork. This cleared up the situation, and Big Guy said," Misunderstan, ok? Misunderstan." It was plain to see they were scared I was going to complain about their “false arrest”. But I just laughed, and said “No, sweat.”

My wife is just a little upset that they didn’t pin me down and slap some handcuffs on - kinky woman!

Anybody else with a cool story about their run-ins with the fuzz?[/quote]

Funnily enough, almost the exact same thing happened to me back home in Belfast (twice). It wasn’t fun the first time, but the second time I acted suspicious on purpose so that the cops would show up and unlock my car for me. Worked like a treat.

Not exactly a run in, more like a ‘run-over’. The bloody Einstien coppers around here don’t use a siren in high speed chases. I happened to glance in my rear view mirror while driving down a narrow street a few nights ago in just enough time to escape certain death. It’s ironic, the driver that was being chased actually honked at me as he sped by, but the cop directly behind was completely silent. Much safer to let a guy get away with driving around without headlights on, then to kill people because your too stupid to turn on your siren when you decide to chase someone. Idiots. Almost makes as much sense as driving around with your lights flashing, but that is far less dangerous.

Watch your mirrors folks, watch your mirrors. If you see flashing lights coming at you without headlights on, sure enough its one idiot in a cop car with flashing lights chasing another idiot without his headlights turned on. Silently of course.

Poor old Taiwan cops, eh? Such a comical bunch.

There was a great story years ago in the papers about an undercover cop commandeering a scooter in Taichung to chase a couple of armed bank robbers on scoots. He was riding down a very busy street firing with his left hand when spotted by two uniformed cops who promptly shot him. All three had emptied their magazines (I think the Glock’s have 12 a piece?), but fortunately only the undercover copper was hit.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Poor old Taiwan cops, eh? Such a comical bunch.

There was a great story years ago in the papers about an undercover cop commandeering a scooter in Taichung to chase a couple of armed bank robbers on scoots. He was riding down a very busy street firing with his left hand when spotted by two uniformed cops who promptly shot him. All three had emptied their magazines (I think the Glock’s have 12 a piece?), but fortunately only the undercover copper was hit.

HG[/quote]

good grief…not soo fortunate for the shot cop tho? Did he make it?

That sort of stuff has happened before in Taiwan. I remember one time between a military policeman (off duty) and some uniformed cops who thought he was a baddie? It was in some underpass on chong shan n.rd or something. The MP died if i recall.

I’m glad to to hear that the cops actually responded to some sighting or report of someone apparently trying to steal. I’d gotten used to them looking the other while muttering something along the lines of “that isn’t my job…”

Of course I’d like to know if they’d have showed up if you just happened to have red teeth and a flat-top.

So’d they help you get your door open? :laughing:

Offer that girl at least a ride home in your car every day from now on.

i cut steveknlp2’s inanities out of here, and the following comments, so daihatsu’s answer to citizen K was lost, but he said