Attn: UK nationals wanting to vote

Elections are coming up in the UK, and if you’re not registered to vote you need to get your application in by 11 March. You must have been resident in the UK, and registered to vote, within the last 15 years.

Forms can be downloaded from

(Mods, can this be made sticky for a while? Ta)

Bummer, I’ve been disenfranchised! I never knew about that rule before. :frowning:

I believe you can still get in touch with the authorities wherever you were last registered to vote, and … er… that’s all I know. Maybe they’ll help you.

Or maybe you only need to have been registered, and not actually resident? I can’t be bothered checking now. Can someone else do it?

[quote=“the official website”]Registering to vote from overseas

If you are a British citizen living abroad, but you’ve been registered to vote in the UK within the last 15 years, you can apply to be an overseas voter. If you were too young to register when you left the UK, your parent or guardian must have been registered.[/quote]
Nothing about actually living there, or paying taxes or anything.

Unfortunately, I’ve not been registered to vote there in the last fifteen years, during all of which I’ve been living in Taiwan. Now, just when I’m thinking that it would be a good idea to register for a postal vote, I find I’m effectively debarred from doing so. So the only way I’ll ever regain my right to participate in a British election is if I go back to reside in the U.K. again and get my name back on the electoral rolls – which is probably never going to happen.

Oh well, the outcome of the election is a foregone conclusion, so my vote wouldn’t have made any difference.

What, we’ll have another shit government whoever wins?

Thanks for the info, Loretta.