Audacity and video capture queries

A couple of questions for the pc boffs…

Query 1: I downloaded Audacity, for the purpose of recording radio broadcasts, streaming audio and other assorted audio on my pc. However, when I playback the recording the sound quality is very tinny, as though the mic is recording the speakers.

A few years ago I used another program that recorded in high quality. What am I doing wrong? The mic used by Audacity ‘WindowsDirectSound: Primary Sound Capture Driver’.

Query 2: I want to capture video playing on my pc (visual and audio) – can you suggest free downloadable software to do this?

Cheers lads and lasses!

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”]
Query 2: I want to capture video playing on my pc (visual and audio) – can you suggest free downloadable software to do this?

Cheers lads and lasses![/quote]

Are you asking how to download video from websites? If so, you could use Download Helper. That’s the only one I use and it’s never failed me.

[quote]
I downloaded Audacity, for the purpose of recording radio broadcasts, streaming audio and other assorted audio on my pc. However, when I playback the recording the sound quality is very tinny, as though the mic is recording the speakers.[/quote]

Perhaps you have to adjust the recording mic level? Check your recording devices on your PC. I don’t use a PC but start with looking at your sound cards and how they are hooked up.
Hope that helps

Downloading is fine, but some vids can’t be saved. I want to save some teaching clips off BBC.

Downloading is fine, but some vids can’t be saved. I want to save some teaching clips off BBC.[/quote]

Huh? Send me the links and I’ll see what I can do. When’s your deadline?

No specific deadline, but I want to start building in video clips into my lessons in the future.

There’s a helluva lot of stuff here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/

I think I need to spend more time checking it out, there is downloadable stuff. Veritable gold mine!

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”]No specific deadline, but I want to start building in video clips into my lessons in the future.

There’s a helluva lot of stuff here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/

I think I need to spend more time checking it out, there is downloadable stuff. Veritable gold mine![/quote]

Okay, but what videos to you currently have your eye on that you would like downloaded and can’t. Let’s start there…And PM them to me. Trying to help here…

If you want to download the bbclearningenglish clips off of Youtube, just install Firefox and get the extension called 1-click youtube video downloader. It will add links to the youtube pages that conveniently let you download the clips as .mp4 files that open in VLC. This is what it looks like:

Yes, if the content is available in 1080p (and your computer is fast enough to playback 1080p) you can even download the video as Full-HD. Also, at this time you cannot download the captions. Maybe in some future release.

Downloading is fine, but some vids can’t be saved. I want to save some teaching clips off BBC.[/quote]

Didn’t see any video. Only audio. Just send specific links you are having trouble with.

Sorry, Namahottie, was a bit scatterbrained the last day or so.

In the Grammar, Vocab and Pronunciation area, we have ‘The Teacher’. This fellow covers idioms of all sorts in his lessons.

On the right of the screen is the download box, for video and text. If I click to download video it plays the video with Quicktime, so it’s not actually being saved to my pc. If I want to save it I need to upgrade to Quicktime Pro, which involves a fee, thus I was wondering if there was free video capture software.

I can’t access Youtube, because I’m acroos the pond in Xiamen, where the powers that be deem it ok to ban Youtube and FB, amongst others.

Here’s a direct link to one of the lessons by ‘The Teacher’: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/language/theteacher/2009/08/091105_teacher_sport_horseracing.shtml

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”]Sorry, Namahottie, was a bit scatterbrained the last day or so.

In the Grammar, Vocab and Pronunciation area, we have ‘The Teacher’. This fellow covers idioms of all sorts in his lessons.

On the right of the screen is the download box, for video and text. If I click to download video it plays the video with Quicktime, so it’s not actually being saved to my pc. If I want to save it I need to upgrade to Quicktime Pro, which involves a fee, thus I was wondering if there was free video capture software.

I can’t access Youtube, because I’m acroos the pond in Xiamen, where the powers that be deem it ok to ban Youtube and FB, amongst others.

Here’s a direct link to one of the lessons by ‘The Teacher’: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/language/theteacher/2009/08/091105_teacher_sport_horseracing.shtml[/quote]

Send me your email. I have it for you.