August 6 Hike: Up the Creek in Daxi

Okay, we are returning to the site of our long march down the cystal clear, garbage free Daxi River.

This time we will start at the other side and river trace up to the beautiful waterfall and pool we found. I expect the hike to take around 2 hours up and the same back. The river is shallow and mostly flat (with small to medium size rocks in it) so it’s an easy walk up with river shoes.

The waterfall is a gorgeous 8 metre fall. There looked to be a lovely large pool at it’s base but we didn’t get a close look. There were a few smaller pools up a narrow gorge just above the falls. Rat and I explored the gorge a bit. I would like to explore it more.

In all, it’s a splendid area and we likely won’t see another person as the trail is completely overgrown, making the river the only way in and out.

Chris and Kitty have a car and can take 5. After me, that leaves two more. They can decide who they will take. If people have a scooter they can take it. It’s about 1.5 hours from Muzha along the 106 and then a lovely mountain road that sees almost no traffic.

If we can’t get more than one car people can take a train out to Daxi and we’ll pick them up. The trailhead is only a few kilometres from the train station.

Looks to be a great day out in pristine nature. Don’t miss out.

I’m in! (Obviously) as is my visiting friend. Please someone reserve 2 seats in your car.

Also, MM, how necessary are the river shoes? Will my friend need to buy them just for one use?

[quote=“irishstu”]I’m in! (Obviously) as is my visiting friend. Please someone reserve 2 seats in your car.

Also, MM, how necessary are the river shoes? Will my friend need to buy them just for one use?[/quote]

Absolutely necessary. They are only NT320 so it won’t break the bank hopefully if he has to buy a pair. I have an extra pair of size 10s. If that is his size he is welcome to them.

By July 6th do you mean lunar calendar?

Secondly where is Daxi?

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“irishstu”]I’m in! (Obviously) as is my visiting friend. Please someone reserve 2 seats in your car.

Also, MM, how necessary are the river shoes? Will my friend need to buy them just for one use?[/quote]

Absolutely necessary. They are only NT320 so it won’t break the bank hopefully if he has to buy a pair. I have an extra pair of size 10s. If that is his size he is welcome to them.[/quote]

You can get them at MetrOasis, on the east side of Zhongshan N. Rd. just north of the Civic Blvd Overpass. It’s a big outdoor equipment store, and you may end up spending hours gazing at all the goodies they carry!

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“irishstu”]I’m in! (Obviously) as is my visiting friend. Please someone reserve 2 seats in your car.

Absolutely necessary. They are only NT320 so it won’t break the bank hopefully if he has to buy a pair. I have an extra pair of size 10s. If that is his size he is welcome to them.[/quote]

You can get them at MetrOasis, on the east side of Zhongshan N. Rd. just north of the Civic Blvd Overpass. It’s a big outdoor equipment store, and you may end up spending hours gazing at all the goodies they carry![/quote]

Okey doke. Well, that’ll give us something to do on Saturday. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“irishstu”]I’m in! (Obviously) as is my visiting friend. Please someone reserve 2 seats in your car.

Is that size 10 US size? As in size 9 UK size? About 44 Europoean?

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“irishstu”]I’m in! (Obviously) as is my visiting friend. Please someone reserve 2 seats in your car.

Is that size 10 US size? As in size 9 UK size? About 44 Europoean?[/quote]

Yeah.

[quote=“golfmade”]By July 6th do you mean lunar calendar?

Secondly where is Daxi?[/quote]

He he. I mean August 6.

Daxi is on the east coast, south of Fulong, north of Ilan.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“irishstu”]

Is that size 10 US size? As in size 9 UK size? About 44 Europoean?[/quote]

Yeah.[/quote]

OK great, Thanks for the offer. I’ll try and find out what size he is, though he’s in Kuala Lumpur till he arrives on Friday.

hmm what train stop is Daxi ? On the MRT I see Dangxi, and the trains don’t seem to have Daxi either railway.hinet.net/trw_/stn_eng.htm

In that chart it’s Ta-hsi, but I believe the government is calling it “Dasi” for now.

大溪 (Daxi) “Big Creek”

The place is spelled on various pages of the website as Ta-xi, or Dasi, I am sure at the station they will have it spelled Daxi. and MuchaMan wonders how I get lost here…

[quote=“snafu”]I am sure at the station they will have it spelled Daxi.[/quote]Most of the railway station names have been converted to Tongyong by the current powers-that-be, so I’d bet money that the signs at the station currently say Dasi.

By the way, shouldn’t the title of this thread be “Up the Creek in Daxi”?

As for the car, the five occupants are, as it stands:

Me
Kitty
Mu[color=default]c[/color]ha Man
irishstu
irishstu’s friend

Maybe. :s

Well, when someone speaks more languages than I have fingers on my hand I tend to think they can find a train station. :wink:

Okay, I am excited about this one as I already hiked down the creek. Last time I was rather disappointed that we did not get the chance to try out those swimming holes. The one underneath the waterfall seemed perfect.

What time are we meeting? I would pledge for as early as possible, as it is a long drive down to Daxi.

By the way, I fixed my breaks. After finding out that local stores as well as the Toyota dealer were unable to do so for a reasonable amount of money, I did this myself. So riding in my car up and down the mountains should be safe again. Well, as save as it was before my break trouble, considering that I am the driver. :smiling_imp:

:notworthy:

Yay! Another car! :banana:

[quote=“ratlung”]

By the way, I fixed my breaks. After finding out that local stores as well as the Toyota dealer were unable to do so for a reasonable amount of money, I did this myself. So riding in my car up and down the mountains should be safe again. Well, as save as it was before my break trouble, considering that I am the driver. :smiling_imp:[/quote]

So let me get this clear…
Your brakes broke, but now they’re not broken, so when you brake they shouldn’t break, right?

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“ratlung”]

By the way, I fixed my breaks. After finding out that local stores as well as the Toyota dealer were unable to do so for a reasonable amount of money, I did this myself. So riding in my car up and down the mountains should be safe again. Well, as save as it was before my break trouble, considering that I am the driver. :smiling_imp:[/quote]

So let me get this clear…
Your brakes broke, but now they’re not broken, so when you brake they shouldn’t break, right?[/quote]

I guess there is only one way to find out. If you want a test drive, I know a very nice and steep hill.