Aus/Brit/NZ Lingo

With the result that no-one else can understand you. Especially not the people who speak English.

tight as a nun’s nasty = frugal
6 of one and half a dozen of another = makes no difference either way
smoko = tea break
flix = cinema
spitroast = a jolly good time
pash = kiss with tongue

With the result that no-one else can understand you. Especially not the people who speak English.[/quote]

This must explain all the ads here for North American accents! LOL :raspberry:

And you Brits did such a marvelous job of giving English to those folks in India and Afrcia…no wonder the US colonies said NO MORE! :slight_smile:

VERY GREAT! :slight_smile:

Now that I have “ESL English” I think the kiwi accent is really funny and don’t enjoy listening to it at all.

Haha, try being from NY and listening to your kid, in Taiwan, say “I want some wodder.”

With the result that no-one else can understand you. Especially not the people who speak English.[/quote]

This must explain all the ads here for North American accents! LOL :raspberry: [/quote]

Posted by people who, for the most part, can’t understand English. Aha, Ha ha. Aha ha ha! I think I just wet myself. :raspberry:

I think the ignorance of the public is to blame for those ads. This relentless stupidity might explain why some of us are a bit tired of the assumption that American English is English and the rest of us are ‘quaint’ or ‘funny’.

I speak clearer and better English than many North Americans, and really object to discrimination on the basis of blind prejudice. I’m sure that there are many Americans out there who would be pissed off if they were denied a job on the basis of their accent and then saw it go to some scouser with a speech impediment just because the employer wanted ‘British English’.

There is no ‘standard English’, American English is certainly not accepted as standard by the world community, and the OP would do well to retitle this thread in recognition of that fact. Why not ask for ‘colloquialisms from your home country’, or ‘strange turns of phrase you have encountered’, instead of asking the furriners to amuse you with their quaint non-American English?

You’re from NY? But that’s not even English!!

Oh go on, tell us some of the things they say in New Yoik. Don’t worry about 914, he’s a gent and won’t mind you broadening the topic a bit.

Deleted.

Can this thread be merged into one of the other threads that have beat this subject ad nauseum?

Oh go on, tell us some of the things they say in New Yoik. Don’t worry about 914, he’s a gent and won’t mind you broadening the topic a bit.[/quote]

A) That would be New Yawk, not New Yoik.
B) New Yorkers don’t speak with accent, we speak with attitude:

A: What time is it?
B: (New Yorker) WHAT!? Do I look like a fuckin watch??

Deleted, in the interests of trans-Atlantic relationships.

Oh go on, tell us some of the things they say in New Yoik. Don’t worry about 914, he’s a gent and won’t mind you broadening the topic a bit.[/quote]

A) That would be New Yawk, not New Yoik.
B) New Yorkers don’t speak with accent, we speak with attitude:

A: What time is it?
B: (New Yorker) WHAT!? Do I look like a fuckin watch??[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing:

You offered him a “warm” beer, and now you say you don’t want a flame war. :loco:

Well - Loretta if you want to know about “Texasism”, we like to say things such as

“fixin’ to” - forming a strtegic plan to execute an action
“statue” - inquiring the identity of a person entering a room
“ya’ll” - a familiar individual or collective group of individuals in which you are addressing

You offered him a “warm” beer, and now you say you don’t want a flame war. :loco:[/quote]

He’s a yank, and we’re dealing with how Americans view Brits…

What was the line in the movie?

“I’m going to need a beer to put out these flames.” - no point chilling it if he’s not going to drink it is there?

Actually, the bastard was winding me up in order to lure me into peace offerings. The joke is on him because he’s now going to have to drink six pints of room-temperature beer on Sunday. See, I’m smarter than I look. :sunglasses:

Alright. I’ve had enough arguments in one day.

I put this out to everyone. Please give me your local lingo but specify which country this is used in. I think it would be helpful for people who are not familiar with slangs from other countries. Oh yeah, English-speaking countries only.

Thank you oh so much for the lovely suggestion, Loretta.

:flowers:

[quote=“ling_7070”]Well - Loretta if you want to know about “Texasism”, we like to say things such as

“fixin’ to” - forming a strtegic plan to execute an action
“statue” - inquiring the identity of a person entering a room
“ya’ll” - a familiar individual or collective group of individuals in which you are addressing[/quote]

My ex-from-the-midwest used to throw “all” into the middle of questions, as in “What all is for dinner?” or “Who all is going to the happy hour?” Has anyone heard Fred Smith say the same thing? I think it’s a fairly standard piece of nonsense across a fairly large area.

My favourite flavour of English is spoken in India, being 100+ years old and heavily accented - “Why didn’t you fetch that fellow a swift kick in the behind?”

[quote=“Loretta”]I check the bill, ticking each item, write a cheque, and get a receipt.
You check the check, check each item, write a check, and get a check. :loco:[/quote]
No, Americans check the check, check each item, write a check, and get a receipt.
Canadians check the check, check each item, write a cheque, and get a receipt.

Oh, I forgot one that I’ve had to explain a lot:

“toey” = sexually frustrated, backed up, etc. (“toe” can also mean “speed” as in “he’s showing a lot of toe this evening”, heard in rugby commentary a lot, meaning “he’s particularly fast tonight”. Also heard in the phrase “got more toe than a roman sandal”)

Does “got more toe than a roman sandal” mean someone who is running fast, or someone who is particularly sexually frustrated? Or both, depending on context?