Australia burns

Informative.

Yep Australia has long been predicted to be one of the countries most affected by climate change. It is already coming to pass. The irony is that they are also one of the world’s top carbon polluters per head.

There’s also a reason why Aborigines didn’t do much farming. The country suffers severe multi year drought periods every fifty or hundred years.

2 Likes

Yet the world continues.
It isn’t that catastrophic in the big picture, but it does suck.

If guilty, it should be 20 years in the clink.

Wish Steve Irwin was still alive. Although I imagine he’d be completely devastated by the deaths of so many millions of animals.

1 Like

Let’s not forget the 24 people dead and over 2,000 homes destroyed or damaged.

I’m not an expert on this stuff, but to what extent are the public protected land expansions, regulation on private land, and restrictions on undergrowth clean ups and burn offs to blame here? Not to mention the number of people accused of actively starting these fires?

The two are not mutually exclusive. I have a bunch of fuckwits living near my farm who are always flicking cigarette butts and/or matches into the undergrowth (or, I suspect, sometimes starting fires deliberately). In the dry season, a fire can spread over a couple of hectares; I’ve personally had a lot of property destroyed, I know another farmer who lost a field of rice and a building, and the guy across the road was almost killed when a fire swept across his property while he was asleep.

This is in Elbonia, not Australia, but I’m pretty sure there are people with low IQ and zero social conscience all across the globe.

2 Likes

And it is 50 degrees. And the beginning of summer. Which means accumulated heat, no rain or very little rain, drought, water shortage. And this situation will last for months.

So you have a lot of kindle, fires that extend beyond the human ability to cope, an ecological and Human disaster of monumental proportions…yet the government refuses to help -even cancels benefits to volunteer firefighters- because they do not believe this is caused by global warming.

Again, I do not care if the cause are fairy darts, for Perry’s sake do something, lend a helping hand or get out of the way and let someone deal with this problem. Because next year will be worse. And at the rate things are going, they will still be dealing with today’s problems then

2 Likes

That really isn’t responsive to my post, nor is it particularly believable without evidence.

why-not-both-eganerator-why-not-both-taco-girl-52890355

Do I need evidence of the 40 to 50 degrees temperatures? Or the drought? Or the losses? Or the budgetary cuts to services that could help mitigate the disaster? Or that those cuts and the general apathy towards taking any action to help, not just shaking hands for photo ops, is caused by the need to deny anything is happening at all least it will be related somehow to the mythical climate change?

2 Likes

This is again not responsive. I asked some questions. If you don’t want to answer, that’s fine. If you want to make extraordinary claims about government inaction and the motives for that inaction, please provide evidence. Or don’t.

This is the part that doesn’t make sense to me.

Did the govt actually cite their disbelief in global warming as the reason for their refusal to meet their salary obligations? It beggars belief.

1 Like

I have a nickel that says that’s not what happened, but I have a dime that says we’ll see mental gymnastics to prove the opposite.

1 Like

Their attitude by not listening to warnings every single year says so. When you have increasing devastation yet no opportune action is taken, yes you may say it’s no longer ignorance, but malice.

Why did the Australian government cut the funds at a crucial moment? Why are they channeling efforts to bring funds to their political cause? It is surely corruption and greed beyond the usual, plus some ideological blinders, in this case, denying the hot temperatures dry more vegetation and hence provide more kindle to bigger, more devastating fires.

2 Likes

Someone owes me 15 cents.

1 Like

I would say that maybe it says so, but it’s opinion not fact.

Been thinking about starting a thread on this very topic, actually. Something like “Climate Activists Consistently Short Circuit Efforts By Insisting 2 + 2 = 5 For Years Now.”

Far too many errors in prediction on their part, and over many years now.

Getting past the “It’s Climate Change!”, “No it isn’t!”, “Yes it is!” debate:

Don’t any of you “meh, shit happens” guys think that human changes to the Australian ecosystem might have something to do with the intensity and frequency of these wildfires, and that it might be a good idea to do something about that?

4 Likes

Ok, so why did the Australian government cut the funds? If the fires get worse every year, more resources, not less, should be allocated. Yet funds were cut in spite of warnings. Is it that the government did not have those funds? Were those funds used for a bigger emergency, and if so, which one? If I was Australian, I’d like to know where the money went.

If Australia was a 4th world country, the president would be living high on that money in Switzerland. Scomo vacation to Hawaii was not that expensive and he came back anyway.

1 Like