Australia "does that to you?"

Cryptic statement from another thread:

Australia will do that to you. Strange place, as beautiful as any on earth and flush with all the right ingredients, yet . . . [/quote]
Eh? You’ve piqued my curiousity. What do you mean by this?

The photos I’ve seen of Melbourne strike a chord deep inside me. It’s the one city in Greater Anglophonia that seems to have everything I could ever desire: a cosmopolitan and diverse sophistication befitting one of the world’s great cities, urbanity and city parks to make one gush, a built environment with lots of Victorian/Edwardian architecture and human-scaled 2-storey shopfronts lining commercial streets in funky neighbourhoods outside the CBD, wonderful weather…and on and on. None of the other great cities of GA, viz. London, New York, Toronto, San Francisco et al., have all of those in such an attractive combination. As far as I can tell from photos, and from what friends have told me, anyway.

And yet, Australia is a font of negativity? How so?

By the way, I don’t mean to slight Sydney by omission, but it has never appealed to me the way Melbourne has.

i think HGC was alluding to the fact Australians tend to have a sarcastic slant to most things in life. We take nothing too seriously and soemhow always manage to see the negative side to things. I think it is a positive trait… :slight_smile:

Ps I used to diss Sydney, but I love it now… such energy. Melbourne may be more architecurally beautiful but it is far more serious and has crappier weather… and no beaches! :slight_smile:

[quote=“AWOL”]I think HGC was alluding to the fact Australians tend to have a sarcastic slant to most things in life. We take nothing too seriously and soemhow always manage to see the negative side to things. I think it is a positive trait… :slight_smile:

Ps I used to diss Sydney, but I love it now… such energy. Melbourne may be more architecurally beautiful but it is far more serious and has crappier weather… and no beaches! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Well said mate. Except the part about Sydney (what a hole).