Australian Cuisine?

Now you’ve gone and said it Babou, I’m beginning to agree with you. Being constantly identified as an American is quite annoying, and I’ve gotta admit, reading your posts (and Amos’) is very entertaining. :smiley:

I s’pose I’ve just not had enough exposure to the finer things in life (ie. meat pies) But I tell you what… I wouldn’t mind a bit of the old Vitamin B, instead of this terrible American beer here, or the bloody Taiwan every-can-tates-different PiJiu. :wink: Anyway, in regards to your going back to Australia Amos, maybe you can pick up some those AFL DVDs you’re always searching for.

Cheers,
Dave :smiley:

I went to Cairns restaurant in Taipei. It was damned good. The chef is my gf’s uncle so maybe we got the special treatment. I’m not really too sure how Aussie it is, but they did have a fake Koala in there though (not on the menu). The beef is from New Zealand, coz it’s the best apparently. I’m vegan, so that meat stuff ain’t my thing anyway - they happily made me up something special without kangaroo or crocodile or whatever…

But yeah, I recommend it!

What’s that then? I can just picture it, probably with Michael Palin and John Cleese…

JC: "I say, my good man, that thing over there, what’s that supposed to be then, eh?

MP: “Ah, that, sir, is a Koala, all the way from the land down under. Very sweet and good-natured they are too, sir.”

JC: “Well it doesn’t look like a koala to me. It looks fake!”

MP: “Well I can assure you, its the genuine article. Just look at the way its tearing into that sheep carcass! See how it uses its well-developed claws to gouge out the choicest morsels! That’s typical koala behavior that is, sir.”

JC: “Koalas don’t eat SHEEP, for heaven’s sake man! They sit in trees, eat leaves and get run over by cars. What you’ve got there is a masquerading koala, or should I say, its a Kodiak brown bear wearing a false nose and stupid fake tufty ears – to wit: a fake koala…”

and so on and so forth, ending with MP soldiering manfully on with his koala explanation, as the bear begins devouring him –

JC: “Well, now he’s torn your leg off at the thigh. I never heard of a Koala doing that.”

MP: Urggh! Aagh! No, no, sir, he’s just playing! They can be very playful creatures when they’re in the mood…"

Sorry, I badly need a life. :unamused:

No apology required Sandy. I could picture the whole scene down to the koala with blood dripping from its bloody gum leafed mouth.

As for the Cairns restaurant, there seems to be a lot of these about. I’ve never gone to one but I did check out a menu in Taizhong some years back. I was impressed as they had Jacobs Creek wine on the menu and it was one of the few places you could then get it. What is odd though is that I’ve never see nary one “volcanic rock cooked aussie steak” joint in Oz.

I did go to a restaurant in Oz that pushed what could only be called Australian cuisine though. Main course, “Coat of arms” - emu and kangaroo either side of a salad made from bush tucker from each state." Of course there was also a “surf and turf” - crocodile and kangaroo steaks.

HG

“Surf and Turf” - you guys are making me homesick… : :cry:

I’d give just about anything for that, or even for a “Chiko Roll” and a can of “Passiona”.

Sadly,

Babou

Babou, keep it in perspective mate… a Chiko roll???

Perhaps too many crusty at the end, glistening with a strange hue freezing post surf Chikos as a kid, but the thought of one now!
What was that green gloop they had in the centre? Or is it like a meat pie, ie, best not to think about it too much.

HG

Sad though it may seem, I found myself standing in 7-11 the other day, staring at all the stuff on sticks, silently mouthing the words “If it ain’t a Mrs Mac’s, take it back.”

But what I really need is fish and chips. Anyone?