Australian Labor party and Taiwan

For Aussie Forumosans…

The following link is for a recent interview by the Austrlian opposition Foreign Affairs spokesperson Kevin Rudd. I find his views arcane and quite sad… that someone so supposedly well versed in China-Taiwan issues (see his CV below) has such a disregard for democratic process and the views of the people. (By this I mean the massive increase in support the DPP has forged since the last Pres election.)

Article: sunday.ninemsn.com.au/sunday/pol … e_1596.asp

CV: kevinrudd.com/about.htm

It’s just how it is, nothing to be suprise about, espcially when it’s coming from the Labor Party, I guess.

Here is a party that got so upset just because Bush said it would be unfortunate if Australia under a Labor Government withdrew from the Coalition, saying that the Americans have no business medlling into their domestic affairs; But on the other hand, no only does he support using diplomatic pressure against Taiwan while they have no official commitment to help out nor do they recognise Taiwan, he is saying he wants to take take this leverage up another notch. Look at what he had said about our year end’s legislative elections, that’s kind of unappropriate too.

I had read some Australian newspaper’s editorials about the cross-strait issues, seems they all support the status-quo, their pointing being Taiwan should just wait for China to become democratic then have a unification. My opinion is that why should the Taiwanese people care about what the Aussie government thinks or do if they have no commitments to help us out.

I dont recall showing suprise as such, but rather giving my fellow Australians in Taiwan a heads up on how the Labor party is painting the X-Straits issue ahead of a federal election later this year.

And I would have expected a little more from the Labor Party not the Liberals…

Even though I don’t keep track of Australian local politics.

This Rudd character seems to have a good head on his shoulder…at least on the topics of the War in Iraq and the Taiwan Strait Issue.

Another Article: smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/ … 60063.html

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Even though I don’t keep track of Australian local politics.

This Rudd character seems to have a good head on his shoulder…at least on the topics of the War in Iraq and the Taiwan Strait Issue.[/quote]

Thanks fo rdelivering proof that Mr. Rudd is completely bonkers.

Wonder how many red envelopes he got in Beijing.

I don’t. All those workers in sensitive areas: miners, forestry works and that ilk.

HG

I don’t. All those workers in sensitive areas: miners, forestry works and that ilk.

HG[/quote]

But surely ass licking the Chinese and pandering to their trade related whis will damage the Australian workforce more than say a FTA with Taiwan? Then again, the Australian Labor Party see green issues as middle class womens issues and thus a lost cause. Their stance on gay marriage is also f@cked.

Now look and see what the Australian Foreign Minister has just said.

theaustralian.news.com.au/co … 01,00.html

Umm… I wonder how long it will take Taiwan to lift the ban on American beef now? So long Aussie beef. Sheesh…no more Australian wines for me! I can see they got their priorities straight in Australia. Money first, human rights and democracy second! Are they just playing ignorant, or do Australians really not know what the hell is going on in Taiwan? How could both Rudd and Downer truely believe that Taiwan is trying to declare independence? Why must they smack down Democratic and free Taiwan in favor of the $$$ of the Communist Thug gangsters? Sick sick sick…but then it happens all around the world, but I had high hopes for Oz.

Hobart,

Are you really surprised Taiwan is not on the forefront of international politics and news. Taiwan get on the frontpage of the papers once every 5-4 years. It’s like a Blue Moon event or Leap Year.

[quote=“Hobart”]Now look and see what the Australian Foreign Minister has just said.

theaustralian.news.com.au/co … 01,00.html

Umm… I wonder how long it will take Taiwan to lift the ban on American beef now? So long Aussie beef. Sheesh…no more Australian wines for me! I can see they got their priorities straight in Australia. Money first, human rights and democracy second! Are they just playing ignorant, or do Australians really not know what the hell is going on in Taiwan? How could both Rudd and Downer truely believe that Taiwan is trying to declare independence? Why must they smack down Democratic and free Taiwan in favor of the $$$ of the Communist Thug gangsters? Sick sick sick…but then it happens all around the world, but I had high hopes for Oz.[/quote]

Mate, there arent any Hollywood stars behind the Taiwan cause a la Tibet, so no, no one knows nor cares, and both sides of politics support China without reservation. I contacted the minor parties for their views on Taiwan and got the same response from the Greens, the Democrats - we have no policy on Taiwan, however… our policy on Tibet can be found on our website. Very disappointing indeed.

Regardless of whether you are blue or green or in between, democracy is thriving in Taiwan and the Australians, the US, the Brits et al NEED to wake up and acknowledge that in the medium to long term, the x-straits issue needs more than just adherence to the One China policy.

Christ the Australian government must be the biggest ass-lickers to China in the Western world. No wonder every time they talk, nothing but shit comes out.

Brian

I truly doubt 90% of Australians could identify Taiwan as anything but a maker of cheap plastic toys, much less know anything about China-Taiwan tensions. And most of those who could would be originally from China or Taiwan. It’s just irrelevant to most people. Of course, money first and human rights second! Geez, mate!

Australia has become very insular over the past 7-10 years and only concerned about itself - I blame Howard, but then, I always do :slight_smile:

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Christ the Australian government must be the biggest ass-lickers to China in the Western world. No wonder every time they talk, nothing but shit comes out.

Brian[/quote]

I challenge you to come up with a western nation that isnt a China ass licker. This particular phenomenon isnt isolated to Australia.

But then again, how much did your average Aussie know about Kuwait/Iraq before the gulf war - or (closer to home) East Timor? The populace not knowing much about a country shouldn’t be an excuse for both the shadow and actual foreign minister being uninformed (or doing the right thing, when the time comes).

Anyway- Money? Human Rights? I thought all that a true-blue Aussie cared about was sport. Now ask yourself who’s ahead of Australia in the olympic medals table? China. Surely that should convert to huge anti-PRC/pro-Taiwan feeling shouldn’t it?

Australia

I was merely answering Hobart’s question regarding whether Australians knew anything about Taiwan. Downer and Rudd are known dickheads, and I don’t base that on their Taiwan policies!

Not really - because if you adjusted it for population, I think we’d be on top :slight_smile:

(And to the pro-Taiwan sentiment I repeat - where’s Taiwan again?)

[quote]Bu Lai En wrote:
Christ the Australian government must be the biggest ass-lickers to China in the Western world. No wonder every time they talk, nothing but shit comes out.

Brian

I challenge you to come up with a western nation that isnt a China ass licker. This particular phenomenon isnt isolated to Australia.[/quote]

I don’t disagree int he slightest. I was just saying that Australia is the worst.

Brian

Hey guys, here is a great article in an Australian publication called The Age. I am not so sure that I agree with everything about the comparisons to East Timor but the author has a good understanding of situation between Taiwan and China and calls on his fellow Australians to Stand Up for Taiwan! I just hope Aussie leaders get the message. Enjoy!

theage.com.au/articles/2004/ … 93557.html

PS: Oz is kicking some ass in the Olympics! Amazing!

Australia is one of the last country in the world able to do anything concrete for Taiwan. Empty promises and moral persuasion is the last thing Taiwan needs. How about giving some real money to Taiwan? As Taiwan look at what trade it does with Australia and look at how much trade China is doing with Australia?

In recent years China has increasing make Australia rich by buying all sorts of raw materials from Australia, eg iron ore, nickel, tin, zinc etc etc.
Australia even agreed to allow China to built new railways to deliver the ore to the coast because they couldn’t come up with the capital themselves. In other words China is a major investor in Australia as well as a major buyer. Australia will become increasingly dependent on China because in the future no country will consume as much Australian raw materials or commodities as China - not even US-. How dependent China will be on Australia will depend upon whether it can source the same raw materials from Brazil or South America/Europe.

Now under such a situation do you see Australia one day telling China, Please stop, stop being mean to Taiwan or else we won’t sell you any more raw materials , we will nationalise all your companies In Australia ( as if Australia does not want to see dairy products, its other exports etc to the biggest consumer market in the world). Even the US cannot afford its factories in China to be shut down.

The prices of commodities are at their 20 years high. And the recent highs in the Australian stock exchange ( and you can check this out yourself ) has been companies that sell commodities, eg Rio Tinto , BMP etc…
Look at the amount of steel China is making and exporting as well as the amount being imported. google.

Unless Australia can be a very different country ( not a commodity base one) Australian support for Taiwan can be totally ignored. Australia went to iraq when the US asked. I don’t think China is Iraq. :frowning: