Australian man catches shark with bare hands

EYRE Peninsula man Phillip Kerkhof has wrestled a 1.3m shark - and lived to tell the tale with barely a scratch on him.

On Monday night, after “quite a few vodkas”, the 42-year-old bricklayer from Louth Bay, near Port Lincoln, thought it would be a good idea to jump in the ocean and wrestle with a 1.3m bronze whaler shark that had been spotted “hanging around”. He caught the shark with his bare hands, dragging it onto the Louth Bay jetty to the cheers of other fishermen. The only damage was to his jean, which received a few nips. But rather than keep hold of his “trophy shark” as a memento, Mr Kerkhof skinned and gutted it, and has been eating it all week. “I’ve got 10 or a dozen real good feeds from it, and I’ve still got a fair bit of him in the freezer to last me a while,” he said. Mr Kerkhof admits his actions were not very clever and “wouldn’t recommend anyone try it”. “It’s amazing what vodka does to you, but when I woke up the next morning I thought it probably wasn’t the smartest thing to do,” he said.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21236268-2,00.html

thanks for this posting, much appreciated by those of us who have to work today.

why doesn’t this chap start his own nature TV show?

why is this in the news? it happens all the time in Oz…

:beer:

What a wuss! In New Zealand we only wrestle sharks that are over two metres. :slight_smile:

or sheep.

“The bitches call me Sharkpimp.”

[quote=“www.abc.net.au (click here for full story)”]Mr Kerkhof’s adventure began when he’d had a few drinks, and decided to take a stroll on the Louth Bay jetty.

[…]

Mr Kerkhoff said that the few drinks he’d consumed before attempting to catch the shark with his bare hands probably impaired his judgment somewhat.

“When I sobered up I thought about it and I said you know ‘I’m a bit of an idiot doing it’… it’s amazing what vodka does…”[/quote]

[quote=“miltownkid”]
“The bitches call me Sharkpimp.”

[quote=“www.abc.net.au (click here for full story)”]Mr Kerkhof’s adventure began when he’d had a few drinks, and decided to take a stroll on the Louth Bay jetty.

[…]

Mr Kerkhoff said that the few drinks he’d consumed before attempting to catch the shark with his bare hands probably impaired his judgment somewhat.

“When I sobered up I thought about it and I said you know ‘I’m a bit of an idiot doing it’… it’s amazing what vodka does…”[/quote][/quote]

nah he’s not an idiot, he caught it and ate it.
If he had been hurt then yeah he would be an idiot. But he won without all the high tech gear. Makes me wonder about vodka. I thought drink was meant to slow down the reflexes. This guy is fast and for a man his age!
This MAN kind of reminds me of the late Oliver Reed. Respect to the guy he is probably going to get some wildife show now, where instead of catching snakes he goes around catching sharks (no stingrays though).
here is the link to the whole article
iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/ … -Shark.php

The guy’s cheese is not firmly attached to his cracker, and stupid dangerous stunts like this should not be glorified. It falls into the redneck’s last words category of behavior; ‘hey guys, watch this!’
Stooopid.
EDIT: That aside, you wrote a great post headline for this MTK.

Personally groomed by Burt’s Bees.

Who needs grooming when you can catch Sharks with your bare hands whilst under the influence of alcohol?

:notworthy:

Burt from Burt’s bees: Beardy, drunk, likes the sea. He’s a pirate
Shark: Silent, deadly, invisible. A ninja.

More proof that pirates beat ninjas.