Australian School bans cartwheels!

Ok, so in Townsville, Queensland, the Belgian Gardens State School recently banned cartwheels, handstands and other gymnastic tumbles on the playground in an effort to protect students from injury.
But one parent at least had some common sense, and complained to a local newspaper her 10-year old daughter was threatened with suspension after doing a cartwheel. Other Aussies also seem to retain some grey matter: State Educ. Minister Rod Welford suggested the school should overturn its decision. “I think our generation of parents are mollycoddling their children.” According to the school, teachers were scared the parents would sue their schools if students are involved in accidents…

Man, what’s happening to the world? Grassburns, skinned elbows and knees, sprained fingers, paper cuts, gum in your hair, marbles in your pocket and scuffed shoes from climbing the big tree in front of the principal’s office on a dare… That was life!

Life wasn’t always rosy when I grew up, but at least I had the chance to be a kid - not a point of contention between idiot groups of grown-ups who are to scared to live life.

yes

Here’s the link.

It amazes me that something like a cartwheel can be perceived as “dangerous”. Yes, children get injured and yes, it is important to supervise them when they play outside. But as Daihatsu pointed out, scrapes and bruises and sometimes even broken bones are part of childhood.

It also amazes me that, with child obesity rates rising all over the world, we are now discouraging children from being active because it might be dangerous. Isn’t it healthier to risk a few scrapes now to save these kids from much scarier things (like heart disease) in the years to come?

When I was a child, my friends and I did gymnastics and many other activities at playtime. We got cuts and scrapes and bruises, and one of my pals came away with a broken arm. And every time we successfully did a handspring or a cartwheel or a swing across the playground equipment (which was later replaced because it was deemed “unsafe”), we had a feeling of true accomplishment that made it all worth it.

Is it our right, as adults who had a true childhood, to take it away from our children?

I’m glad I grew up when there was still some common sense about; as daihatsu said, things may not have been perfect, but at least we were allowed to experience life.

Because the girls might accidentally rupture their hymens…?

(Reference to the above thread, “Half of Australia is virgin.”)

One of my adult students told me recently that he got into trouble as a seven-year old because he and a bunch of friends built a tree-house in their school grounds during their break.

The school was newly-built, and there was a pile of left-over junk lying around so they put it to good use. Naturally, the school wasn’t at fault for leaving their students unsupervised in a building site. Before demolishing the tree-house, the teacher summoned all the kids’ parents to complain about the kids’ outrageously bad behaviour.

I’m trying to imagine what my junior school head master (My McKinnon, from the Isle of Mull) would have done if it had been me. The chances of us being able to spend more than two minutes playing with discarded building materials seem pretty slim for starters. But had we got away with it, I’m pretty sure there would have been some discussion about structural integrity, safety, etc., and we would probably have been made to build it again to a higher standard under supervision. I imagine my dad would have been called too, just to let him know that I had an interest in engineering.

[quote=“Loretta”]One of my adult students told me recently that he got into trouble as a seven-year old because he and a bunch of friends built a tree-house in their school grounds during their break.

The school was newly-built, and there was a pile of left-over junk lying around so they put it to good use. Naturally, the school wasn’t at fault for leaving their students unsupervised in a building site. Before demolishing the tree-house, the teacher summoned all the kids’ parents to complain about the kids’ outrageously bad behaviour.

I’m trying to imagine what my junior school head master (My McKinnon, from the Isle of Mull) would have done if it had been me. The chances of us being able to spend more than two minutes playing with discarded building materials seem pretty slim for starters. But had we got away with it, I’m pretty sure there would have been some discussion about structural integrity, safety, etc., and we would probably have been made to build it again to a higher standard under supervision. I imagine my dad would have been called too, just to let him know that I had an interest in engineering.[/quote]

Yes! I remember doing cherry drops off the play ground equipment over and over again as a girl. Those are now strictly forbidden. My brother and I used to walk till we found the tallest tree we could find and then dare eachother to get as hight as possible, then as far out on the end of the hightes limb and so on. We’d pack a lunch and have it swaying in the tops of huge trees. A windy day was a carnival ride!

Now, kids are restricted from active play due to fear of injury, but end up overweight and diabetic from lack of exercise and poor diet.

I’m a mom and I don’t want my son hurt, but I’d also like him to have the chance to live while he’s alive. What kind of educator thinks that a childhood is worth less than a possible law suit?!