Australian- should I use visa exempt or get a visitor visa?

Hello,
I have visited Taiwan several times as a tourist in the past and always used the 30 day visa exempt that Australians get.
I am planning to go there, find a job and get sponsored for work permit, ARC etc. (I am a licensed, qualified, experienced teacher, so finding a job shouldn’t be my worry).

Someone has suggested I apply for a visitor visa (60 days) to give myself more breathing space once in Taiwan to get the job and for the paperwork to come through.
Their point was that in this case I could maybe avoid doing a Visa run at 30 days mark.
I have heard they wont grant visitor visas if they think u want to go work there, plus there are lots of things I need to submit such as friend’s address in Taiwan, tour bookings etc etc. I am not sure of the fee, but I guess it would work out cheaper than a return flight to HK etc for a visa run, plus I wouldnt need to lose that day etc to do it.
And DO the immigration bat an eyelid when they see the stamp saying you only left Taiwan that morning etc and now you are back?

Any advice or opinions?

Mate, I’m having the same problem. I just made a profile here to vent my opinion and quires.

I have a Taiwanese girlfriend and looking at spending 50-60 days with her. So I’m guessing i apply for a visitor visa? but i really don’t want to book holiday tours to show proof etc etc. I just want to chill for a couple of months. Do i need proof of a return ticket? If so can i book a flight to Taiwan then onward to hong kong? with the possibility of coming back.

Their is a lot of questions i need answering, because these websites giving info for visa’s arent cutting the mustard and not showing me much. Is a working Holiday visa a option?

[quote=“timthetool”]Mate, I’m having the same problem. I just made a profile here to vent my opinion and quires.

I have a Taiwanese girlfriend and looking at spending 50-60 days with her. So I’m guessing i apply for a visitor visa? but i really don’t want to book holiday tours to show proof etc etc. I just want to chill for a couple of months. Do I need proof of a return ticket? If so can i book a flight to Taiwan then onward to hong kong? with the possibility of coming back.

Their is a lot of questions I need answering, because these websites giving info for visa’s arent cutting the mustard and not showing me much. Is a working Holiday visa a option?[/quote]
Well you could come to Taiwan on a 30 day visa free stay then when your time is nearly up maybe spend a weekend in HK with your girlfriend then come back again and stay for another 30 days. If you apply for a working holiday visa you need to be under 30. You will need to fork out money on a medical check up and then getting your results signed by a justice of peace or similar which will cost you more money. You need to pay $109 for the visa to be processed aswell. But then after you do that and get your visa then you can enter and leave whenever you feel like for a 1 year period. But if you just want to be there for 50-60 days only during the year then maybe save that money and spend it on flying out and flying back into Taiwan once your first 30 days are up.

Every aspiring teacher comes here on a tourist visa, finds a job, gets a work permit from the company (which will take a week or so, I can’t remember exactly) and uses that to apply for an ARC. You need to get a work permit and apply for your ARC before your tourist visa expires otherwise it’s a visa running you’ll go. Which is fine, if you have the time and money - most people fly to Hong Kong, get another tourist visa and come back.

You can write “English Teacher” on your forehead for all anyone cares but if you are entering on a tourist visa and the flight attendant hands you a form from the immigration department asking the purpose of your journey, don’t tick the “Work” box. Edit: some people live here for many years, doing visa runs. No one cares.

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]Every aspiring teacher comes here on a tourist visa, finds a job, gets a work permit from the company (which will take a week or so, I can’t remember exactly) and uses that to apply for an ARC. You need to get a work permit and apply for your ARC before your tourist visa expires otherwise it’s a visa running you’ll go. Which is fine, if you have the time and money - most people fly to Hong Kong, get another tourist visa and come back.

You can write “English Teacher” on your forehead for all anyone cares but if you are entering on a tourist visa and the flight attendant hands you a form from the immigration department asking the purpose for your journey, don’t tick the “Work” box. Edit: some people live here for many years, doing visa runs. No one cares.[/quote]

Exactly right. I moved here from Brisbane. I would recommend the above. You will need room to breath. If you overstay you will need to pay a small fine and do a VISA run. If you choose not to get the VISA make sure you plan out your time well 30 days goes very fast. Remember its 30 days not one month too.

good advice inetcentral… I would also probably suggest getting your medical examination for ARC application done as soon as you land in the country, as that is another time-consuming (about a week) chore that can slow down your work permit application. Renai Hospital in Taipei city is a good choice.