Australian Student Poisoned by Superwarfarin

I’m not surprised by this at all lol. Australians think Australia >>>>>>>>>>>>>

3 Likes

Not really. We just know we’re better than the US

Australia’s medical system has some problems but quality of care isn’t one of them.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree with any of this.

I am also very sorry to hear about your friend.

Guy

2 Likes

LOL. They are believing their own propaganda about Taiwan being ‘SO friendly, the FRIENDLIEST place in the world’ at this point. FRIENDLY.

2 Likes

The discussion here is mild compared to FB groups. You guys are being kind.

Indeed, they make the point too that if this had happened at a stall, there would be other victims.

And yes, even in FB they also insisted that most veterans on the island have not heard /seen cases of rat poison in food. Food poisoning, roaches in drinks, geckos, assorted snails in veggies, I have seen and even experienced. Most vendors in our traditional market use traps, not poison, against rats. Even they fear it.

Honestly, my first reflex thought was like @Gain. I can’t recall who asked how much and for how long do you have to ingest for that kind of damage.

As to the money or taking the kid home, that is understandable. His condition was not up for a commercial flight and if I was in his shoes, with a doctor as father, and in heaven’s door, I’d rather go home, and go home in an air ambulance in case something goes wrong/take a turn for the worse. It has more to do with being in a familiar environment in times of need for starters. Then to get the best care for that specific case.

However, I do not like the implications in the original statements regarding care and food safety. Truly, they have problems but as someone said before, who the heck is going to think rat poison?! The doctors would check for virus, stomach infection which now is rampant, then they go through other plausible scenarios. The doctors did administer appropriate k vitamin as medication but the guy had a rare, unusual allergic reaction.

7 Likes

I don’t think the quality of care is a problem in Taiwan either.

5 Likes

Lower quality care is a key feature of Taiwan’s public system. It only covers the lowest medically necessary, and often outdated, surgeries and procedures. You need to pay for more modern medicine.

Australia’s system does not sacrifice newer medicine.

For example my friend broke his hand and needed surgery. He had the option to have metal sticking out of his hand for 2 months which would then be removed - fully covered. Or have a rod inserted and recover within a month ish - must pay $$$. In Australia the latter would be covered under the public system.

Also 2 minute consults with a BS diagnosis are the norm in Taiwan. And is even a problem that the Taiwan government has mentioned. This doesn’t show quality of care.

Also I’m not saying Taiwan’s medical system is bad. All public systems make sacrifices. Taiwan is different in that it sacrifices procedures covered. Australian sacrifices wait times. Both are a problem, just different problems

9 Likes

Idk if you read that part but this man who’s been poisoned has left ICU and is in recovery in Taiwan.

3 Likes

The family is apparently trying to set up direct care from toxicologists in Australia. The young man has suffered all manner of internal damage from this ordeal, and I don’t blame the family one bit for trying to get him back on his feet and healthy again as soon as they can in Australia.

Guy

7 Likes

I think it makes sense that they want him back in Australia. I just don’t find it surprising that they believe healthcare in Taiwan to be “very poor” because Australians from my experience are kinda arrogant.

What doesn’t make much sense is that they needed gofundme.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t you claim poor quality care if you were diagnosed with an infection while your organs are failing?

Nothing to do with arrogance

Yeah, the gofundme doesn’t make any sense at all

2 Likes

Or it could be lost in translation? News report in Chinese never mentioned anything about an infection. It was reported as rat poison from the get go.

Still doesn’t equal arrogance.

You just don’t like Australians :man_shrugging:

When something horrible happens to their kid, people may not be on their best game.

6 Likes

I would’ve thought they would’ve found out by now exactly how the rat poison got injected by him

Seems because this is a very unusual case that the docs misdiagnosed his condition ?

Came home one day to my mom slumped over the coffee table unable to move

Sister suggested National Taiwan Univ. hospital

We took her there and the older doctor there thought she had suffered a stroke but asked his friend another doctor living in wanli to pay us a house visit the next day

And that doc suggested we do a cat scan as he said it may be a tumor as that could also explain what happened

Took two weeks to wait for a brain scan at the big new modern hospital in the shihlin area I forgot the name as her condition was deemed non urgent

But upon the new docs examination a young doctor trained in the USA he said he didn’t think it was a stroke but he felt it was a brain tumor After the brain scan we were told to expect results in a week or so as again deemed non urgent

But then hours later we were told to bring her back immediately for immediate surgery as they discovered a very large frontal lobe tumor

So docs practice medicine meaning they often don’t know for sure what’s up at first

2 Likes

Australians consider themselves a first world country

Probably many Australians still think Taiwan is a 3rd world country like indonesia or they think it’s Thailand

1 Like

I really think the family should be held accountable for
a) initially rasing funds that they claimed would only go towards a private medical charter and any surplus would be donated (to a company that they’re using to have him flown back :thinking:) then after closing the fundrasier decided they would use them also for “extensive medical rehabilition”,
b) raising funds based on the false assumptions that the rat poison came from local street food and that there’s no right treatmets or drugs available in Taiwan.

6 Likes

From my experience, most knew nothing about Taiwan at all 5 years ago. Now they know that it wants to be invaded by, and is close to, China. But that’s about it.

Australia is a first world country?

1 Like

Ignorance then

1 Like

I don’t think most Ozzie’s think their country is anything less than a first world nation

Am I wrong ?