Australians can sleep a little sounder tonight (USMC in Aus.)

Good news the American Marines are coming;

bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-1 … -pact.html

Yeah, I read about this. I’m fairly ambivalent about it.

I’m upset that this has happened AFTER I left Australia. If there was a base near Brisbane I could’ve used the commissary!!

[quote=“Gman”]Good news the American Marines are coming;

bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-1 … -pact.html[/quote]

Uncle Sam will always be where the OIL is !

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Gman”]Good news the American Marines are coming;

bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-1 … -pact.html[/quote]

Uncle Sam will always be where the OIL is ![/quote]

All our Aussie oil is sold to China, I think. And then we import for domestic use. :loco:

I’m not really sure how the marines will make Australians sleep anysounder. :loco:

They’ll protect us from those evil Kiwis.

All you haters can pull your heads in. This is an “internal matter”.

Besides, Australia’s north is woefully underutilised and underdefended as it is. And the US forces play there all the time anyway, so there’s no material difference at all.

It is symbolic more than anything, but it’s a great big finger aimed right at China, so it’s doubly good. And it’s an internal matter, so they should apply their own rules and shut the fuck up. Besides, China will still trade with Australia just as much as before.

[quote=“urodacus”]All you haters can pull your heads in. This is an “internal matter”.

Besides, Australia’s north is woefully underutilised and underdefended as it is. And the US forces play there all the time anyway, so there’s no material difference at all.

It is symbolic more than anything, but it’s a great big finger aimed right at China, so it’s doubly good. And it’s an internal matter, so they should apply their own rules and shut the fuck up. Besides, China will still trade with Australia just as much as before.[/quote]

I think it’s cleverly done on the part of the U.S. In a way, I’d rather they’d really given China a bigger finger by doing it in somewhere like Vietnam or India. However, that would have been a little too close for comfort for the Chinese, and the U.S. also doesn’t really have a history of the right kind of involvement in those places. The U.S. can quite easily claim a strong historic involvement with/in Australia and quite plausibly deny it’s giving China the finger when it obviously is. This is precisely how the U.S. should deal with China diplomatically, i.e. give it more of its own bullshit medicine by playing dumb and insisting that other people are reading too much into its actions. Anyway, I don’t quite know what it’s really going to achieve though.

I think all China has to do is wait for the first rape to be committed by those Marines like they’ve done in Japan and other countries, and then everyone will be screaming for them to get out.

It would be a different situation, if it were to happen.

The yank military are constantly in Australia, either in the north, where the base is proposed, training, or their carrier groups in Fremantle on R&R. There have been the odd rapes and sexual assaults, but I doubt whether the yank presence distorts the usual numbers for such events. Certainly isn’t perceived to be related to their presence, as it is in Okinawa, for example. But I dare say there’s a different agenda with the way these matters are reported there.

HG

OK, who else besides CFI didn’t get that the title was facetious?

Right! Domestic rapes only!

Have the Marines left Japan?

The Aussie women that aggressive are they?

What a great assignment to have! I’m jealous. Always heard the ladies there prefer foreign men to their own anywho. :laughing:

To be fair to our Aussie brethren, wimminz everywhere seem to have this strange preference… :ponder:

To be fair to our Aussie brethren, wimminz everywhere seem to have this strange preference… :ponder:[/quote]
too true :laughing:

The Aussie women that aggressive are they?[/quote]

Downright bloody terrifying!

I’m jealous of the Aussie tail those boys are going to be pulling. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not. The base is going to be in the Northern Territory is it not? :laughing: :smiley: That place is inhabited by tough outdoor ladies that make Crocodile Dundee look like a ponce. If anything, you should be jealous of the Navy tail that these Crocodile women wrestlers will pull. :smiley:

My favourite part of the visit to Australia was him telling us this!

Who the f*** gives you the right to shape us! GTFO!

Oh and please oh please take Julia Gillard back home with you.