[Authentication] Document Authentication - Where do I go?

I’m getting ready to apply to graduate school here this year, and need to have my university diploma “authenticated” (

You need to get it authenticated??? I would imagine you should go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, give them a call first. Why do you need to get all of these things authenticated? Who is making you do this? You say your are applying for graduate school in Taiwan? Why don’t you ask the school that is requiring you to get them authenticated? They should know where you are to go and what procedure you are to follow.

[quote]You need to get it authenticated??? I would imagine you should go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, give them a call first. Why do you need to get all of these things authenticated? Who is making you do this? You say your are applying for graduate school in Taiwan? Why don’t you ask the school that is requiring you to get them authenticated? They should know where you are to go and what procedure you are to follow.
[/quote]Ditto.

MOFA has about 5 counters just for authentication though, if that’s where you need to go.

If the documents are from overseas, then they have to be certified at the nearest Taiwan Representative Office.

Then you bring them back to Taiwan and have them re-verified at MOFA BOCA.

I called MOFA this morning, and they said I had to send the documents to TECO Miami to get them authenticated, but they didn’t say anything about having to get them “re-verified” at MOFA BOCA again after that. Then I called the NTU registrar and asked them about it again, and the girl said it’s not a big deal, and I don’t really need to do it unless I pass the entrance exam, although when they say “ying gai” I tend to not really believe what they’re telling me. At any rate, per my teacher’s suggestion, I think I’ll send the stuff off to the TECO office, and when I apply just give them the stuff they need without the authentication yet, tell them that it’s on it’s way, and hopefully it won’t be a problem. I have one classmate who applied and tested for NTU last year (the university, not the graduate school though) and he wasn’t asked to do any of that. It just seems like there are so many pointless hoops to jump through. It would seem to make a lot more sense to have those kinds of things certified by the American pseudo-embassy here. Anyway, does this sound like a decent plan?

Nope, your plan won’t work. The local American pseudo-embassy is not a Taiwanese institution, so the won’t accept it.

I wanted to get my Malaysian driving license (car) transferred but was told first I need to show it to the TECO in Kuala Lumpur for verification, then bring it here for re-verification before I can go to the road transport department and get it actually transferred.

No, that’s not what I meant. I know AIT can’t provide this service. My plan is to send the documents off to TECO in the USA to get authenticated, and assuming that they won’t be able to do it that quickly, take my original, non-authenticated documents to apply to the grad school and tell them that the documents haven’t arrived yet, and then just submit them later … or if what the lady at NTU said is true, that won’t matter anyway until after I’m notified of the exam results. My teacher seems to think this won’t be a problem … just wondering if anyone else has been through this before with applying to grad schools in Taiwan …

They should be able to do it quickly, remember to provide a self addressed stamped return envelope if you can. If you do not have stamps from the US send them a check or call them and ask them how they want you to handle the postage. They can send it back to you within about three days, meaning if you ask them and pay them to send it express you will have it in about a week.

Presuming the Yankie TECO’S are equally as efficient as the Aussie ones, the document authentication takes a couple of hours. That’s how long my wedding stuff took anyway.