Author seeking interviewees for book

Hello,

My name is Carl Honore and I am a journalist and author based in London, England. My first book, In Praise of Slow (www.inpraiseofslow.com), examines how the world got stuck in fast-forward and the many ways in which people everywhere are putting on the brakes. It is being translated into more than 20 languages (including both Simple and Complex Chinese characters) and is an international bestseller.

I am now starting work on my next book, which will explore what has happened to childhood in the 21st century. I plan to investigate how so many children these days are over-scheduled, hot-housed, marinaded in consumerism and generally encouraged to grow up faster. And how at the same time they are wrapped in cotton wool and barred from taking risks. Childhood has fallen prey to what some people now call “hyper-parenting.”

I will be in Taiwan February 7th to 10th to promote In Praise of Slow. But I will also be doing research for the childhood book. To that end, I would love to interview Taiwanese citizens (parents, teachers, experts, etc) about their experience of grappling with the cultural pressure to raise an Alpha child. I am especially keen to hear from parents who have come out the other side - in other words, who have eased the pressure on their kids and found that not only do they enjoy family life a lot more but that that their children are happier, healthier and thriving at school. But I would also welcome input from parents who see nothing wrong with the full-throttle approach to child-rearing. I am also interested to talk to expats about their views on parenting in Taiwan. And, last but not least, if any Taiwanese children or teenagers want to drop me a line I would be delighted to talk to you via email.

If you would like to be interviewed please email me at carl@inpraiseofslow.com. If we meet in person, I can bring along an interpreter to the interview. I am also happy to use pseudonyms in my book if you wish to keep your identity secret.

Many thanks,
Carl

Why don’t you try posting on the Taiwan breastfeeding association forum, or babyhome.com’s chat board? Some parents there speak English. And many are open to new things - they are my best cloth diaper customers.

breastfeeding.org.tw/

www.babyhome.com

you will need a chinese reader to help you log in etc.

Thanks for the tip. I will try to post on both those sites. Must first find a Chinese-speaker to log me in though…

Carl