Auto Pruning: Is it On or Off?

[quote=“Flame Forum”]When the moderators find a thread that is objectionable – but they’re not ready to zap it out of existence – they put it in here. CAVEAT EMPTOR: Read at your own risk. Dead threads (discussions without any new postings) are automatically pruned every week
[/quote]

Is the auto pruning feature turned on or is it now off?

The Flame Forum description states categorically that auto pruning is on and that dead threads are deleted every week. But how long is a thread dead before it is deleted?

I thought that the statement meant that a thread would be declared dead and then automatically pruned seven days after the last post. However that doesn’t seem to be the case because the thread “John Pilger Now Talking Live on ABC Backyard 8:50pm” has been up there a long time. In fact the last post was Friday Jul 11, 2003 at 1:44 am by Juba. If auto-pruning is in fact on, then why hasn’t this thread been deleted by now?

I have no bias for or against any thread in the Flame Forum. I am just trying to understand the auto-pruning feature. So, could someone please clarify exactly how the auto-pruning feature works in this board?

Also, if auto-pruning can be enabled, then how about applying it to posts in most of the Classified Forums? Is there any useful purpose in having hundreds of posts for events that happened eons ago, ancient job listings, items already sold months, or apts already rented out?

Still no answer. :?

It seems to be off. I noticed that the flames seem to be deleted on the weekends rather than exactly 7 days after the last post, which would indicate that some moderator is doing the deleting rather than it being automatic.

Doesn’t anybody know for sure (Gus, Maoman, anybody?) or is it a state secret?

Hi Tye, didn’t mean for you to feel ignored

I have just checked the admin panel and the Flame Forum is still enabled for Auto-pruning (7 day lifespan, checking for posts every day)

I’ll post up a test thread and see if it hangs around more than a week. If it does, I’ll look more seriously into when to upgrade to the latest version of the forums (unless someone else can show us a less drastic solution). Some of the other Taiwan-oriented phpBBs use more up-to-date software (like www.TaiwanHo.com) – we could ask them for advice.

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed that should have affected the Auto-pruning for the few forums in which it is activated.

The posts currently in the Flame forum are now all over 7 days old. It seems that auto-pruning is not working.

The last post of “If you still see this after 14 August” was Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:02 pm .

The last post of “Can’t believe this Taiwaner/Taiwanese crap” was Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:28 pm .

The last post of “[ Poll ] taiwanho, change your name already” was Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:18 pm.

I went over the Flame Forum to manually remove some threads, but noticed that they were gone already. Ant, did you…?

btw, I’ve decided to install an updated version of this website (not soon, though). Please log your thoughts and recommendations here: forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=11079

[code]###############################################

Hack Title: Fix auto prune large forums.

Hack Version: 0.0.1

Author: Antony Bailey

Description: On large forums, auto-prune seems to fail.

This seems to fix it.

Compatibility: 2.0.6

Installation Level: Easy

Installation Time: 1 minute

Files To Edit: 1

History:

0.0.1: Initial release.

Author Notes:

Was gona submit this to the bugtracker, but I can’t login over there.

Support: http://www.phpbbhacks.com/forums

Copyright: ©2003 Fix auto prune large forums 0.0.1 - Antony Bailey

###############################################

You downloaded this hack from phpBBHacks.com, the #1 source for phpBB related downloads.

Please visit http://www.phpbbhacks.com/forums for support.

This hack is released under the GPL License.

This hack can be freely used, but not distributed, without permission.

Intellectual Property is retained by the hack author(s) listed above.

#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------

#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------

$sql = "SELECT t.topic_id 
            FROM " . POSTS_TABLE . " p, " . TOPICS_TABLE . " t 
            WHERE t.forum_id = $forum_id 
                    $prune_all 
                    AND ( p.post_id = t.topic_last_post_id 
                            OR t.topic_last_post_id = 0 )"; 

#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]----------------------------------

$sql = "SELECT t.topic_id 
            FROM " . POSTS_TABLE . " p, " . TOPICS_TABLE . " t 
            WHERE t.forum_id = $forum_id 
                    $prune_all 
                    AND p.topic_id = t.topic_id
                    AND ( p.post_id = t.topic_last_post_id 
                            OR t.topic_last_post_id = 0 )"; 

#-----[ SAVE & CLOSE ALL FILES ]--------------------------

#End [/code]

It still appears to be not working.

Good idea about the advertising fora too. Give them 30 days only, I say.