Auto Update stuck on 0%

My Windows XP auto-update worked fine until last week. Now the icon is constantly in the system tray and when I put the cursor over it the text says;
“Downloading updates: 0%”
It has been like this for a week. An AVG virus scan turned up nothing.

I’d be very grateful for any suggestions regarding this.

Same problem here. Ever since SP2 came out and I denied the installation.

I think there’s an updated installer as well. if you didn’t update your installer, that may be why.

Kenneth

No probs here, running XP with SP2. The latest update after SP2 was the Media Player (now version 10).

Check your IE settings as well, Ive seen if there is a checkmark on autodetect proxy, it may hang on the auto updater.

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]I think there’s an updated installer as well. if you didn’t update your installer, that may be why.

Kenneth[/quote]

no, just after installing sp2 windows update redirects you to a newer version of the website v5.

did you shut down all the firewalls on your computer and activate the active x in the explorer?

there are some .dlls that need to be loaded on you system. if you unregistered them, the update will not work

I’ve still got that icon stuck in my taskbar.

It finally downloaded the update for me (it did this by itself with no intervention from me). I discovered that it’s the XP SP2 update, though, and I’m reluctant to install it. The only thing I’m concerned about is whether not installing it will stop me getting any critical security updates in the future

Microsoft is still releasing critical updates for SP1. I downloaded a few last week. SP2 is not on my high priority list that’s for sure!