Automatic Tax Filing Extension for U.S. Citizens?

Can anyone verify the truth of this statement (found on

I believe my accountant told me this a few months ago. He hasn’t been returning my e-mails and faxes for the past few weeks. He’s a good guy, just busy–I think he’s putting my return off because he’s buried with returns due on April 15th.

Yes, Tomas is paranoid about paying tax penalties.


hey tomas,

i’m not particularly sure about the length of that extension, but i just filed my taxes electronically and there was something in the midst of the process about getting an extension for 4 months automatically. i didn’t go that far though because i just filed it myself (sadly, i am NOT in need of an accountant, unless he’s bringing money himself).

if you want, you can go to the irs website and there’s tons of info about all that stuff:


We always file our return two months after 4-15 in the US. I don’t remember whether this is an “automatic” right or one that you must apply for… though I think applying for the right is done by simply checking a box to claim the same on your return.

Thank you for the responses. I recall my accountant telling me that the extension is “automatic.” If it weren’t, he is responsible enough to have filed the proper form for me already (plus, I know where he lives :smiling_imp: ).



It’s automatic!

Generally, for calendar year taxpayers, U.S. income tax returns are due on April 15. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident and both your tax home and your abode are outside the United States and Puerto Rico on the regular due date, an automatic extension is granted to June 15 for filing the return. Interest will be charged on any tax due, as shown on the return, from April 15.,id=12236,00.html

Foreign earned income exclusion increased. For 2002, the maximum amount of foreign earned income that you may be able to exclude from your U.S. gross income has increased to $80,000. The foreign earned income exclusion is discussed in chapter 4.,id … 00.html#T1

To claim the foreign earned income exclusion, the foreign housing exclusion, or the foreign housing deduction, you must satisfy all three of the following requirements.

Your tax home must be in a foreign country.
You must have foreign earned income.
You must be either:
A U.S. citizen who is a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year,
A U.S resident alien who is a citizen or national of a country with which the United States has an income tax treaty in effect and who is a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year, or
A U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident alien who is physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full days during any period of 12 consecutive months.,id … 0.html#T26

Did you claim the “Foreign earned income exclusion”, when you filed over the net and what is all this about a pin number?