Autonomous Vehicle in Taiwan

I though it might be a good idea to have a thread where people could track the development in the automated driving technologies in Taiwan and here it is.

The other day, I saw an automated driving test passenger vehicle transported to a research center of the National Taiwan University of Science & Technology and there I witnessed a mockup vehicle having an appearence like a planetary prove vehicle moving in the premise. I also read an article (http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aeco/201809270017.aspx) which claims a level 4 concept car is already available. I know Taiwan is not the front runner of the world in this area but it’s cool to see them participating in this key industrial movement.

This automated driving related industries and the ability of Taiwan to heavily invole in it can be quite important for Taiwan in many aspects. For example, the political party which takes the advantages of Taiwan’s role in this industy could decide a fate of Taiwanese, considering Taiwan having some advantages to be the supplier in these unconventional but rather copetitive automotive parts market in future.

In Taipei, autonomous-driving bus has been operating since the last year (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/automobiles/wheels/taiwan-autonomous-bus-test.html, https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/08/31/business/00WHEELSTAIWAN1/00WHEELSTAIWAN1-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp)which seems really cool. Have anyone tried them?

Anyway, I will post again if I happen to meet the test car actually driving on the public road.

2 Likes

I am interested

I know that: (translated from another language using google)

Acer and Yulon unveil their concept of autonomous car

In collaboration with Taiwanese group Yulon, as well as its subsidiaries Luxgen and Haitec, respectively car manufacturer and automotive electronics supplier, Acer presents its vision of AI and driverless driving technologies.

It was at the Taiwan Automotive Technology Innovation Show 2018 that Acer unveiled its autonomous car concept in collaboration with the Yulon Motor Group, best known for its Luxgen car brand. It is a level 4 autonomous driving system integrated into the electric vehicle platform of the Luxgen S3. On this occasion, the two companies presented their common vision of AI (artificial intelligence) and driverless driving technology.

Jung-Kuei Chen, vice president of the AI ​​product engineering group at Haitec, says: "Driverless driving is the future trend of the automotive industry. In the company of Acer, we unveiled Taiwan’s first stand-alone concept car, equipped with ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems), IoV (Vehicle Internet) and driverless technology. By integrating Acer’s AI and cloud expertise into the open vehicle platform developed by Haitec, our cross-industry collaboration has achieved extraordinary results. "

From a technical point of view, the chassis rests on the platform of the Luxgen S3, a compact sedan produced in Taiwan for the domestic market. The S3 EV + electric version is powered by 150 kW e-Drive motors with 33 kWh batteries for 207 Nm torque. The Acer system uses AI and sensor interconnection algorithms. They measure real-time kinematic positioning data (RTK), and also use deep learning technology to recognize objects, and allow autonomous driving of the vehicle through dynamic control.

Acer’s driverless driving system therefore controls the vehicle by making dynamic decisions. For this, it uses AI models powered by image recognition, 3D lidar obstacle detection, high-precision maps and real-time positioning to help the car turn, brake and roll. , maneuver or park. In addition, a cloud-based management system has been designed to manage the sharing services of this car, that is, to plan, monitor, notify and secure all activities.

1 Like

Did you see that car?

acer%20autonomous%2001

No, it looked different, and I havn’t seen the car since then.

I think the National Taiwan University of Science & Technology is working together with or sopnsored by Chimei. There must be many other unannounced automated driving related projects going on in Taiwan.

It’s interesting Acer is now in the AI market. Here’s another article of the same topic (2018/12/10 14:31). Taiwan’s Acer and National Yang-Ming University collaborate on self-driving car technology | Taiwan News | 2018-12-10 14:31:00
You can find a simple explanation of the configuration of the Haitec car here.
HAITEC > Intelligent Automobile

The car in the pic you posted (and in the article above) looks more “complete for testing” than the car I saw which didn’t have any box on the roof. It looked just a normal passenger car but with clear makings showing that the car was for testing. Right now I have no more infomation.

If Haitec really has achieved the level 4 and it becomes beyond the “concept”, then they will probablly be joining the public road testing in Shanghai, so we’ll know at what stage they are in. Haitec is in the end an automotive manufacture, not a parts supplier.

BMW was the first manufacture which obtained the license for the public road testing, and now has been followed by many other major automotive companies worldwide.

I am quite curious how far the developments in China has gone so far, but there is not much information out there about what is going on in the Jiading District, though they claim ““It may look like a simple golf cart on the outside, but the level of autonomous driving technology here has already surpassed that of manufacturers in Japan, the United States and Europe,” proudly said an individual related to the Chinese company developing the cart.” which they can be indicating the technologies from BMW etc but we don’t know.

Some idiot’s Tesla drove itself into the back of a highway patrol car on autopilot. Nobody hurt luckily.

I tried to understand the news

First he is not an idiot, but well. never mind… think as you want, I don’t care

Second, more important, it shows the autopilot and most autonomous intelligences don’t perceive the traditional signs, such as flashing lights and traffic cones on the road. It is time for freeways services to update the technology and signal slow downs, traffic jams and accidents with wifi signals as well… it’s called IoT, the Internet of Things, or V2V Vehicles 2 Vehicles… coming soon

I read he was sleeping. :idunno:

1 Like

He’s an idiot and nearly killed two police officers.

I don’t care what you think. Police care what he was doing.

1 Like

Today I found a new installation, a new automated driving testing area near the university research center. It’s an area of 300m x 200m srrounded by fences of low height, and within the area, there are several traffic lights, more than 10, and fake 2D buildings printed on ad boards. It is indeed a testing site but it also looked as if the site were for exhibition and demonstration. You can see the site at the Tainan station on board the rapid train bound for Kaoshun. This suggests they already have functioning cars to be tested on site.

Edit: The site is in construction but almost 95% complete.

Can you specify the location? i am interestedtainan%20autonomous%2001

1 Like

Tell the truth,

I am astonished that nobody cares about autonomous driving in Taiwan

And even most people laugh and joke about it

Taiwan, the kingdom of the technology… or the easy 7-eleven life?

FYI, Changan pretends to have a 2000 km long track to test its cars (no proof so far)
But this constructor Changan just beat a world record with 55 ‘CS 55’ cars driving autonomously in a platoon

Same all over China, with constructors developing autonomous driving

Not to mention Nvidia, the famous American technology company
But managed by a Chinese guy who just happened to sell this knowledge to China
In order to save the company from bankrupcy because of low sales in the US
Google… Nvidia Drive AGX Pegasus… Nvidia Xavier

I welcome feedback and corrections as long as it is reliable and professional feedback, not over the counter talk. THANKS

nvidia%20china

The location is exactly in front of the Tainan Station (Taiwan High Speed Rail). You can see it from the platform.
](https://www.thsrc.com.tw/index_en.html))

Thanks

It is a bit far for me. Photos are welcome… if you or anybody passing by can

1 Like

In Taichung, Zhongke area, on the 21st of December
there has been an inauguration ceremony
for a new service of autonomous shuttles
I only have the article in another language

Translated with google into English:

Taichung tests buses made in Taiwan

Publication date: 26/12/2018

Photo: City officials and industry representatives cut the ribbon before launching the Taichung Autonomous Bus Test on Dec. 21.
Friendly credit from Taichung Municipality
Self-driving buses designed in Taiwan are tested for a month in Taichung, central Taiwan. Open to the public, the essay illustrates the country’s breakthroughs in emerging technology fields ranging from cloud computing to the Internet of Things.

Buses run from 21 December 2018 to 21 January 2019 on a 1.4 km section of Zhongke Avenue. People wishing to borrow can register at one of the stations placed on the course or register online with their “Flora Expo” card, distributed to residents of the municipality and giving access to the Exhibition World floral held in the city until April 24.

According to the municipality, the buses are equipped with sensors and cameras as well as steering systems designed by the National Taiwan University in Taipei, and the Industrial Technologies Research Institute (ITRI) in Hsinchu in partnership with four local companies specializing in electric vehicles and the Internet of Things.

These technologies include high-speed, high-resolution cameras that can identify surrounding objects, a smart dashboard that provides real-time information on pedestrian movements, traffic, and vehicle-specific data. distance measuring devices by means of light beams. Cloud computing and Internet of Things solutions are also being tested, allowing buses to communicate with signs and traffic lights along their route.

According to ITRI, the autonomous vehicle sector is expected to represent a US $ 800 billion market by 2030 worldwide. This essay, said the Taichung Municipality, demonstrates that Taiwan’s research and development in this area is at the level of other nations.

The self-driving bus project is part of the Shuinan smart city initiative in Taichung. Since 2015, it has focused on modernizing public infrastructure, implementing next-generation transportation solutions, and establishing an intelligent health care ecosystem.

2 Likes

If you are interested in autonomous cars, google ‘WiTricity’
WiTricity delivers wireless power at a distance to any device – enabling new experiences with products that transform the way we live, work and move.
Big changes coming in mobility … but also in everything electric…

1 Like

CES Las Vegas starts in a few days

https://www.ces.tech/About-CES.aspx

CESÂŽ Is the Global Stage for Innovation

CES is the world’s gathering place for all those who thrive on the business of consumer technologies. It has served as the proving ground for innovators and breakthrough technologies for 50 years — the global stage where next-generation innovations are introduced to the marketplace.

Owned and produced by the Consumer Technology Association (CTA), it attracts the world’s business leaders and pioneering thinkers.

From Wikipedia: MediaTek Inc.

(Chinese: 聯發科技股份有限公司; pinyin: Liánfā Kējì Gǔfèn Yǒuxiàn Gōngsī ) is a Taiwanese fabless semiconductorcompany that provides chips for wireless communications, High-definition television, handheld mobile devices like smartphones and tablet computers, navigation systems, consumer multimedia products and Digital subscriber line services as well as optical disc drives.[7]

Headquartered in Hsinchu, Taiwan, the company has 25 offices worldwide and was the third largest fabless IC designer worldwide in 2016.[8][9] Since its founding in 1997, MediaTek has been creating chipsets for the global market.[10][11] MediaTek also provides its customers with reference designs.[12]

From youtube:

https://youtu.be/iqjKnrGqP5w

1 Like

The future is here captivating video, especially after half way through.

https://youtu.be/sqw3kASObz4

1 Like

Very nice!
A bit too dreamy, but not too far from what we will see in the future (in terms of concept)