Avengers: Infinity War Spoilers Discussion

Ptobably find that thanos has been taken over by Loki and he put everyone in a fog so he can watch the sunset

1 Like

Do you guys think the average audience will be as welcoming to Captain Marvel as they were to Iron Man/Spidey?

I asked my nieces and nephews and they were like, Captain who?

You mean this
https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/991388031117680640/video/1

But like… How

And if Cap Marvel is so powerful and great then how come she’s ignored everything from Avengers 1-Now

Someone told me that her movie will also explain how Nick Fury lost that eye (but wasn’t that explained in Civil War?).

Side note: I enjoyed the new ant man and wasp trailer. Really wondering what the post credits scene for that will be - more avengers 4 teaser?

That’s what I meant in my earlier post that she probably ends up having to go underground until Nick Fury calls her in Infinity War. There’s no other way they could explain it, unless she’s frozen like Captain America. But I think it’s more a case of her going into hiding so the Skrulls can’t find her. If she ends up resurfacing in Infinity War, it may lead to some stories where the Skrulls come track her down.

I have no idea, this is just a theory. I’ve never read a story with Captain Marvel where she goes into hiding.

I think the Captain Marvel movie will do okay at the box office. When Iron Man came out, he was considered a fairly “meh” character. But the combination of the right actor and the right writer/director - plus plenty of promotion - meant it did well. I think Marvel Studios knows what they’re doing.

I mean, 20 movie-years and 19 movies of chaos and destruction, that’s a lot of evil a “hero” has to overlook, who’s to say she gives enough of an f now.

Also, who are the skrulls anyway and if they’re so dangerous why would they put up with thanos killing half the universe (aliens still live in the universe, don’t they)

They were stuck in Disney-Marvel-20th-Century-Fox limbo!

It’s called because the plot says so. Continuity and logic are simply too much to ask for this franchise.

I really like the Marvel movies and the mcu. I just got one problem with the plots:

And I guess for the Infinity War it will be the same. Half the population and Loki (again) of the universe dies, but not really. It’s like the polar opposite of GoT.

I wouldn’t count the X-Men films as part of the MCU. And you can say the same thing about Superman getting killed and coming back in the shithouse DCEU complete with CGI deleted mustache.

Eh, if you read the books for GoT, it’s about the same.

I saw it on Saturday and all I really have to say is “fuuuuuuuuughk! What now??!?!?”

We like to call that term…“nerdgasm”. It happened to me twice during the movie. First time, same as you. Second time when Thor appeared via Bifrost with Rocket/Groot on Wakanda.

After watching a few explanation videos on Youtube, this is what I gathered about the first scene. If Heimdell can “see” billions of souls throughout the nine realms…how tf did he not see Thanos, his henchmen and the millions of those creepy crawler things on his ship?! Also, Thor surviving in space for…how long? We see him get kicked out of the Bifrost by Hela and into Jeff Goldblum’s backyard, but he never really flies through space. A few things to think about, but I don’t really see it as a plot hole.

I didn’t like Rocket’s slight change of personality in this film. I guess he’s more of an a-hole when it comes to Quill, but we didn’t see a hint of that characteristic when he paired up with Thor. I mean, it makes sense that he realizes that the universe is coming to an end and he’s playing an integral part and he comes through in both Guardians 1 and 2, but not without some Rocket quirk. Yeah, you heard me @Rocket , you’re a fake!

You’re missing a great “match up” where Widow, Wanda and Okoye layeth the smack down on Thor’s hench(wo)man. I felt like aside from the wizard henchman that died via Alien death, the henchmen were so under powered (in the movie). I bet their comic counterparts are BAMFs.

Out of all the Avengers, she’s definitely most BAMF. Fists, boots and electrical sticks are her weapons of choice. I still get confused how she doesn’t die when her opponent (usually some kind of alien creature with special abilities) lands a direct hit on her.

Dude, Thanos was such a good character with depth and I think they did an awesome job introducing him into the MCU. I mean, we saw him 3? times through the 20 movies? End credits x2 (Avenger 1 and 2) and Guardians 1. Definitely not your average villain that just wants to watch the universe burn, which was what I expected.

I reeeeaaaally didn’t like how the soul stone was so easy for him, but I reaaaally like the appearance of Red Skull. Thought that dude was long gone.

I think keeping Gamora out of the picture and only hinting at the fact that she was supposed to be out hunting for the stones was a good. For anyone who hadn’t read the comics, no one freakin’ knew where the soul stone was. No one! You aren’t even sure what Gamora meant when she told Quill, “she knew something that Thanos didn’t even know”. I liked how they hid the fact that Gamora was the key to the soul stone but I still don’t like how easy it was for Thanos…if that makes any sense haha.

When I saw they were a thing, I was like “wtf?”. Wasn’t one trying to keep the other from leaving the Avengers complex and the other got pissed and red waving thing-ed him into the ground? When and how did this happen?!

Spiderman was the ONLY character who was made into paper, that had more than a few words to say before disappearing. There’s a fan theory (going around PTT) that the suit he had from Stark had something to do with this. Not likely, but why did Spider-man get more lines than everyone else?

As for the ending, it’s awesome. What other Marvel movie ends on such a low note? There’s no doubt in my mind that Thanos was going to lose, but I didn’t know it wasn’t going to happen in this film!

My theory for what happens next is, time travel. Strange saw 1 possible outcome out of 4 million+. He knew this and he knew that the Avengers could only win if he gave the time stone to Thanos. We know that Thanos can’t really undo how he loses to the Avengers because the gauntlet is f-ed up after the snap. So…the Avengers will win in the end and it I think Strange will play a huge part.

Yeah, and you’re still a douchebag.

On the prologue: somewhere in Reddit there’s a thread about how the director (?) has said that half the Asgardians, presumably including Valkyrie and Kiwi-Rock-Dude, got away. So that makes me feel better about the opening scene, although it still didn’t quite work that Thor showed far more reaction to the death of his brother than he did to the extermination of half his people (who presumably were already dramatically reduced in number back in Ragnarok!). The guy’s kingship is not going well.

Totally agree that Black Widow is “BAMF”, but she’s still just human. As you say, a direct hit from any of the demigods she faces should kill her. As for the team-up of her, Wanda and Okoye … it left me cold. I got too meta: “Oh come on, of course it’s the three main female fighters facing off against the main female adversary.” It wasn’t a classic cat fight, thank goodness, but still just seemed too cliched. (I do deeply hope there will be a film featuring the female characters.) An interaction I enjoyed more was the totally predictable but still fantastic scene of Shuri (sp?) outsmarting Bruce Banner on how to handle Vision’s Infinity Stone.

On Rocket: all the Guardians were a little overwhelmed, and a lot turned on, by Thor. That may have been part of it. Also, isn’t Rocket aware that Thor’s just lost half or more of his people? That could explain the kid gloves.

I’m really curious how Thanos is going to be handled in the next film. Will he be the big burly retired biker you see on the beach, who’s left his gangster days behind him? “Guys, come on, I’ve finished the thug life! Can’t we just let bygones be bygones?”

Lingering question: the Soul Stone requires sacrificing the soul of someone you love. If one of the good guys uses the Infinity Gauntlet, who will he or she sacrifice? Presumably Dr. Strange knew that Tony Stark needed to remain alive to defeat Thanos (or undo his plan) - but why?

One podcast - Storm of Spoilers, I think? - is predicting it’ll end with Tony’s and Pepper’s wedding (weren’t they married already?!), and they’ll toast the dearly departed Steve Rogers - ending on a mostly happy note that manages to write out Captain America, and mostly write out an Iron Man who’s retired to fatherhood.

1 Like

I felt somewhat the same as you. The idea can be swung both ways. Where people would hate on girls can only fight girls. However, as I see it, I’m glad the lady Avengers got their screen time.

There’s plenty of plausible reasons for Rocket to play the “captain” role and be all, “There, there Thor, losing half the population of your people isn’t that bad” However, I like a-hole Rocket better, where he does the right thing, but is still an asshole at the end of the day.

Exactly. What about Thanos? There was a video explaining where he actually was at the end of the movie because that scene is straight out of the comics, but he’s unable to teleport anywhere. A time travel scenario could easily put him back in the game though.

I forgot about this part. When did Tony propose??

As possible as it may sound, I don’t like the idea. Someone has to die or someone has to be sent into an alter dimension where they can’t return. If my research doesn’t fail me, there’s a lot of alternate universes in the MCU they haven’t even touched up on.

It sucks that we know that in RL, their contracts are up. So that aspect is at play here and we have to figure out a way in which they would never…ever show up in another MCU movie ever again.

Oh, I see Captain America as dying. They’ll be an empty chair in honor of him at the wedding, and that’s how they’ll make the ending bittersweet. I think killing both Iron Man and Captain America would be too dark, but the “wedding with a dash of grief” would serve well to write out two characters without being depressing.

Mildest of spoilers for the next film: in an interview, the guy who plays Bucky / Winter Soldier remarked on how one scene took forever to arrange, simply because it was almost impossible to find a time everyone could be there. That interview has promoted the wedding theory.

I’ve totally lost track of Tony & Pepper’s relationship. Maybe he proposed at the end of Spiderman Homecoming? There was a press conference at the end for Peter - but Peter didn’t believe it, and left. Tony was left needing to say something, and didn’t he suddenly announce the proposal? But I find the Tony / Pepper relationship so uninteresting that they could have been married since the first Iron Man, and I wouldn’t know any better.

I’m trying to remember any Marvel romance-related scene that’s had any impact on me. When Steve Rogers met Agent Carter on her deathbed? That’s the only one that comes to mind. Oh, and of course, Steve & Bucky.

This idea sounds more likely, but I like to believe it’s new version of the battle of New York where all Avengers are present? I’ve seen a set pic of Ant Man walking NY streets in his suit and Cap in his spangely outfit.

Damnit…I hope I forget all these details. I hate knowing too much.

Yeah, that’s another “bigger” spoiler that’s floating around - filming of what looks like the Battle of New York. Alternate reality? Time travel? Flashback? We’ll find out next year!

I rewatched Avengers on Netflix a month or two ago. I was mildly surprised how much I still liked it - I’ve basically enjoyed every Marvel movie on the first watch, but found they often decline in quality upon rewatches (wow did I ever like Guardians I a lot less the second time).

I’m hoping it’s just the producers throwing us completely off course and f-ing with us. I just don’t want to expect anything and Infinity War did a great job doing that. I really didn’t expect some of the characters dying. More expecting an original Avenger to die.

For me, Avengers was always in my top 3. I don’t have a favorite but I like to throw it in the mix of Winter Soldier and Homecoming. I might have to make it top 4 after Infinity War because it’s tough for me to remove one of my top 3 and replace it with Infinity War.

A rework of the battle of New York would be cool, but there are too many major characters that weren’t around at that point in the story and the butterfly effect that would result from changing that day would be astronomical. Basically, any movie after Avengers would be wiped from existence (not literally, but the story would be).

I still enjoy Guardians. Volume 2 was better but the first one is fun. The movies I never bother watching anymore are the first 2 Thor movies.

Do you guys think they’ll dip into the whole idea of alternative universes? I think it’s too much for them to handle and would get epically confusing for the normal movie goer.

I do like the idea of time travel though.