Average baby weight for mixed race baby

i guess the subject says it all.

my pregnant (chinese) is freaking out because so far, with 1 more week to go before delivery, the baby weighs almost 4000grams. my wife’s brother(not a stocking lad) was about 2200. she is afraid that she’s going to deliver a baby elephant. I think 4000grams is a bit on the large side but still normalish. since i use this forum for all my life decisions I thought you could give some free medicl advice.

I remember reading somewhere that the average birth weight is around 3.5kg but anything under 5kg is normal. Of course, this is based upon Western numbers…

My (mixed) son was 4080g. The chinese birth certificate actually had the phrase ‘giant baby’ written on it - so it is quite uncommon in Taiwan for a baby this big!

I guess you’re examining your views on Caesarians … if the mother is asking for it, a lot of doctors will agree to a caesarian as a ‘medical necessity’ if you’re over 4kg (i.e. cost of it will be covered by normal national insurance). [Note that Taiwan is a bit out of step with the rest of the world when it comes to Caesarians and childbirth in general: about 1 in 3 Taiwanese mums have caesarians, compared to about 1 in 10 in the UK]

Edit: Taiwan normal weight is between 2.5 and 3.5kg.

Gee, I wonder why that is.

Asian women are often unable to deliver naturally due to narrow/non-existent hips…that might explain the high incidence of c-section. Of course, it could also be that women these days are reluctant to endure the pain.

Sounds big - not huge for a Western baby but that would still be considered on the large side. A baby over 4kg is regarded as ‘macrosomic’ (one in 10 babies in the US, so not all that rare there, maybe rarer here) hence possibly the ‘giant baby’ was a more literal description :slight_smile:

-You could ask your own parents about your family’s birth weights - that could have a bearing on it even though on her side they’re low. However, usually small mother = small baby.

-A better nourished baby will be slightly bigger than if the mother smoked, ate badly, etc.

-Things like gestational diabetes can cause large babies, although she should have been screened for that.

• The estimation of a baby’s weight pre-birth is an art, not a science. I can’t remember the error rate they gave me, but I thought it was of the order of ±20%!!! It’s at least 10%.

-Caesarean might be recommended by your doctor depending on the circumstances.

Note: For (complete) pain management in a straightforward birth, an epidural is perfectly good for most women - you don’t need to have a Caesar just for that reason. A Caesarian, despite being routine nowadays, actually counts as major surgery, and the recovery time is maybe double that of a vaginal birth, if not longer.

As for the actual mixed race baby question, I don’t know if that has any specific impact. Good luck! :slight_smile:

The fee for C section as against a natural birth is higher. Maybe a lot of hosptials just want to appear to generate more revenue, so a push for a C section when not really needed

Alot of C sections come from what the fortune teller tells them… baby must be born this day and this hour cause its lucky and thus has a direct influence on the rest of their life

I also think that nature would have adapted for the Taiwanese female chassis thus reducing the problem of narrow hips. If Taiwanese hips are narrow it is for a reason other than creating the market for a C section

[quote=“dix2111”]I guess the subject says it all.

my pregnant (Chinese) is freaking out because so far, with 1 more week to go before delivery, the baby weighs almost 4000grams. my wife’s brother(not a stocking lad) was about 2200. she is afraid that she’s going to deliver a baby elephant. I think 4000grams is a bit on the large side but still normalish. since I use this forum for all my life decisions I thought you could give some free medicl advice.[/quote]

depends on your wife’s frame also… my mother was big boned and tall … I weighed 4.3 KGs when I was born… she was so heavy and big with me that they thought she was going to have the kids and the grand kids at the same time :slight_smile:

Talk to the doctor… and grill him or her… my wife is pregnant and anytime I go there I give the doctor a good Q&A session.

Find out any possibility that a baby can be heavier and go through this with him… just for peace of mind.

There are medical reasons for having a heavier baby, but almost always it as simple as the baby is just bigger… there is an average weight for a new born baby but there is also a large deviation in weight for healthy babies ( healthy babies can be lighter or heavier)… you cannot compare your brother’s, sister’s, brother in law, sister in law’s babies’ weights to your baby

In her case as a precaution they may advise you to have a C section

My son was 3.75kg and 56cm long at birth… a natural birth…

There was no danger of complications… except that the wifey said it hurt like hell…

I was think as my sons head was coming out… that’s gotta hurt… but I didn’t feel a thing…

Go for a natural birth and breast feed the little tyke… a healthy child will result…

NOOOOOOO! You’re telling me that the correct translation is just some weird technical term that noone understands, and not ‘giant baby’ afterall? But I’ve been telling everyone how my son’s first words were “Fee … Fi … Fo … Fum …” :slight_smile:

Our daughter was 3.28 kgms when she was born. She is mixed and was one of the healthiest babies at the hospital. :slight_smile:

the doctor wants to induce delivery early because he said the baby is getting too big.
does anyone know if it’s dangerous to induce labor.
i read that if you rub the boobies it will spead up delivery.

i’ve been rubbing my man breasts but it’s not doing much

[quote]the doctor wants to induce delivery early because he said the baby is getting too big.
does anyone know if it’s dangerous to induce labor. [/quote]

Obviously you’ve got to rely on your doctor - but I would make sure that you discuss all the implications with him first and agree on a course together (you, your wife and the doc) rather than just sit back and accept what he says. I got the feeling that Taiwanese maternity hospitals are setup to make the process as simple, easy, safe and painless … for the doctor - so don’t let the doctor railroad you into a decision you (& more importantly your wife) are not happy with/don’t understand fully.

One issue with inducing the baby early is that, if the baby hasn’t moved ‘down’ into the final position before labour, then the labour is likely to be very long and have a larger than normal chance of ending up with a caesarian at the end. Make sure the three of you have discussed this and any other issues before making a final decision.

Good luck!

Too many tradeoffs to give you a real answer on that one, old chap. After all, there are risks for inducing, but there are also risks for leaving the kid in there. Just be sure the doc is doing it for the right reasons and not to get a higher pay rate from MediTai.

Great thread here folks.

Re inducing, David’s right, labor is usually more difficult (contractions more powerful) and can often end up with a csection.

Rubbing her nipples can help get labor started, and so can sex (semen on the cervix). Doesn’t always work but you can try it. Spicy food works for some people too.

My boy was around 3600 at birth. Now, well, look at my avatar.

1 Like

After 36 hours of delivery the baby finally popped out. I just got her home.
My wife lasted 14 minutes without an pain drugs. The Adventist hospital was great. there was even a picture of
ted Nugent holding a baby in the delivery room.I’m the biggest whiner and nag and I’ve had no complaints at all through the entire process.

the baby doesnt look at all chinese so now my wife thinks I cheated on her???( she really did for a minute. must have been the drugs) the whole thing cost about 17,000 with insurance. not too bad.

Hey, congratulations! :bouncy: GongXi GongXi

36 hours! Ouch … that must be pretty painful - for you, let alone your wife! So how big was he(she?) in the end? Over 4kg?

congratulations!!! 36 hours is a long time to labor.

Thirty-six hours is a very long labor but it sounds as though everything went well.

Congratulations. Welcome to the joys of parenthood.